Masks

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
trevnhil

Re: Masks

Post by trevnhil »

You say these 'better masks' are available. I go into various stores and Pharmacies, but have only seen the ones most people are wearing.
Where can we get the ones you mention in Paphos town ??
Trev..
jeba

Post by jeba »

I don´t live near Paphos so I bought mine in a pharmacy in Kiti.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

I doubt many on this forum will be able to do that.
But maybe someone on here has see these masks for sale in Paphos ?
Trev..
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Kia Picanto wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:44 pm As for the 'to mask or not to mask', I see it like this - my parents, and millions of others, suffered real hardship growing up, and then had to endure 6 years of separation from loved ones, had to wear gas masks, and knew the suffering of losing loved ones. in WW2. We're being asked to wear masks in shops, enclosed places, public transport etc (in UK), and maintain social distancing, to keep us and our families safe. Not a lot to ask, is it? Yes, it's mildly inconvenient, yes it can be uncomfortable, glasses steam up, hard to breathe properly etc (I'm asthmatic, but it's only for half an hour or so) Keep safe everyone.
This sums up my feeling. Considering what people had to put up with in WW2, this is absolutely nothing.

Besides, whenver I go out, I see most people wearing masks. I have the photos to prove it:

mall.jpg
mall.jpg (151.62 KiB) Viewed 3666 times
Admitedly, the harbour was pretty empty, but the only non-compliance I saw was from what looked like a British tourist.
harbour.jpg
harbour.jpg (145.9 KiB) Viewed 3666 times

If anybody goes somewhere that isn't safe, just vote with your feet.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

jeba wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:27 am What I don´t understand is that people don´t wear certified masks (FFP 2 or 3) now that they are available. Why not wear one that actually offers protection to myself (as opposed to merely protecting others) if I have to wear one anyway?
Must admit I am concerned about the level of protection given by various face coverings, especially the popular ones made of ordinary material.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Incidentally, we went back to the UK last Christmas and had very high temps etc + felt crap. We thought we had it, but my wife has since had an antibody test and there was no sign.
jeba

Post by jeba »

galexinda wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:20 am
jeba wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:27 am What I don´t understand is that people don´t wear certified masks (FFP 2 or 3) now that they are available. Why not wear one that actually offers protection to myself (as opposed to merely protecting others) if I have to wear one anyway?
Must admit I am concerned about the level of protection given by various face coverings, especially the popular ones made of ordinary material.
Waering those regular facecovers you can buy at Lidl don´t protect you from catching the virus but offer some degree of protection for others in case you should be contagious. In order to protect yourself you´d need to wear at least a FFP2 mask.
I´m surprised that this doesn´t seem to be general knowledge. Don´t British tv- / radiostations programs hammering that kind og knowledge into everybody´s head?
jeba

Post by jeba »

trevnhil wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:01 am I doubt many on this forum will be able to do that.
But maybe someone on here has see these masks for sale in Paphos ?
I´d be surprised if you couldn´t buy them at any pharmacy. I bought mine already 3 months ago and meanwhile I´m getting them from Germany where I could get a FFP3 mask for the price of a FFP2 in Cyprus (10 for € 70).
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Well since I wrote "But maybe someone on here has see these masks for sale in Paphos"
No one seems to be saying they have seen them ..
Also can you provide a link please for your assertion "Wearing those regular facecovers you can buy at Lidl don't protect you from catching the virus"..
Trev..
jeba

Post by jeba »

trevnhil wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:05 pm Well since I wrote "But maybe someone on here has see these masks for sale in Paphos"
No one seems to be saying they have seen them ..
Also can you provide a link please for your assertion "Wearing those regular facecovers you can buy at Lidl don't protect you from catching the virus"..
Yes, but it would be to German podcasts of the chairs of the departments of virology of a German Universities (each series of these podcasts would take weeks to listen to as they were daily initially -starting I think in February- to keep listeners informed and now are still being broadcast 3 times a week). Only FFP2 and FFP 3 facemasks offer a reasonable degree of protection for who wears them (FFP2 filtering 95% and FFP 3 99% of infective particles).
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

If the regular masks filter stuff going out, why don't they filter stuff going in?
jeba

Post by jeba »

They only can retain bigger droplets but not small ones. Think of it like a fly, a garden fence and a flyscreen. The fly will easily pass through the garden fence but not through the flyscreen. Also, there is the problem of air not passing through the mask but coming in from the side (sorry don´t know the proper English term and neither does my dictionary) because the cheap masks don´t seal off your face.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

I still have a great deal of difficulty believing at all, that the masks provide No Protection re catching the virus
Trev..
jeba

Post by jeba »

trevnhil wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:51 pm I still have a great deal of difficulty believing at all, that the masks provide No Protection re catching the virus
As I said they protect against bigger droplets containing virus. They won´t protect from very small droplets or aerosols. You can trust me on that. Or google.
WHL

Post by WHL »

A dumb question but would there be any benefit in wearing two of the standard medical masks at the same time?
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Dominic wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:31 am Incidentally, we went back to the UK last Christmas and had very high temps etc + felt crap. We thought we had it, but my wife has since had an antibody test and there was no sign.
The antibody tests are largely a waste of time. Most people who exhibit antibodies, only do so for a relatively short period of time. Many dont at all. It proves nothing
jeba

Post by jeba »

Jimgward wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 2:21 pm
Dominic wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:31 am Incidentally, we went back to the UK last Christmas and had very high temps etc + felt crap. We thought we had it, but my wife has since had an antibody test and there was no sign.
The antibody tests are largely a waste of time. Most people who exhibit antibodies, only do so for a relatively short period of time. Many dont at all. It proves nothing
That´s not quite correct. If correctly positive they show that you had contact with the virus and are either immune or at least less likely to have a severe course of disease if you get infected again. The fact that no antibodies are detectable doesn´t mean there is no immunity or at least relative immunity.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

jeba wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:37 pm
That´s not quite correct. If correctly positive they show that you had contact with the virus and are either immune or at least less likely to have a severe course of disease if you get infected again. The fact that no antibodies are detectable doesn´t mean there is no immunity or at least relative immunity.
No evidence of what you say re immunity. We know relatively little about it still.. `it is certainly true that testing for antibodies isn’t reliable enough to prove some has or hasn’t had covid.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

What do you base that on?
jeba

Post by jeba »

Jimgward wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:24 pm
jeba wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:37 pm

No evidence of what you say re immunity. We know relatively little about it still.. `it is certainly true that testing for antibodies isn’t reliable enough to prove some has or hasn’t had covid.
It´s reliable enough to say someone had it within the margin of error which is up to 10% due to cross-reactivity. You can´t say someone hasn´t had it just because you don´t find antibodies though.