Masks

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
jeba

Re: Masks

Post by jeba »

Just out of curiosity: are certified masks meanwhile available in Paphos?
Btw it seems that at least some cities in Germany have been seeing the light and started providing free ffp 2 masks to the elderly. E.g. Bremen started doling out 2/week for residents aged 65 and above. I can't understand why that's still not common practice.
WHL

Post by WHL »

jeba wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:30 am Just out of curiosity: are certified masks meanwhile available in Paphos?
Btw it seems that at least some cities in Germany have been seeing the light and started providing free ffp 2 masks to the elderly. E.g. Bremen started doling out 2/week for residents aged 65 and above. I can't understand why that's still not common practice.
Good old Bremen,
LouiseCastricum

Post by LouiseCastricum »

jeba wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:30 am Just out of curiosity: are certified masks meanwhile available in Paphos?
Search for FFP2 mask Cyprus. For sale on line!
Louise :)
jeba

Post by jeba »

trevnhil wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:05 pm Also can you provide a link please for your assertion "Wearing those regular facecovers you can buy at Lidl don't protect you from catching the virus"..
Meanwhile I received a link in a newsletter I´m subscribing to: https://www.acpjournals.org/doi/10.7326/M20-6817
jeba

Post by jeba »

As of tomorrow wearing FFP2 masks will be mandatory in Bavaria in shops and public transport. The rest of Germany (and Cyprus) should take heed, methinks. And people should be educated how to wear them correctly (e. g. not with a beard).
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Fortunately of course we are not in Bavaria and so we use the masks that are available to buy here..
It is good that it is Mandatory for people to wear them outside here, unfortunately, not everyone does..
Trev..
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

I saw masks being sold in ~Cyprus as N95 - equivalent of FFP3 - but they’re not
jeba

Post by jeba »

Jimgward wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:59 pm I saw masks being sold in ~Cyprus as N95 - equivalent of FFP3 - but they’re not
N95 are the equivalent of FFP2 masks.
jeba

Post by jeba »

trevnhil wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:13 am Fortunately of course we are not in Bavaria and so we use the masks that are available to buy here..
FFP2 masks are available in every pharmacy (sometimes known as N95 masks). I personally am wearing FFP3 masks because my thinking is that if I have to wear a mask it can as well be one which offers best protection.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Where can we get some in the Paphos area ?
Trev..
jeba

Post by jeba »

trevnhil wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:26 pm Where can we get some in the Paphos area ?
You may not get a FFP3, but N95 / KN95 / FFP2 should be available in every pharmacy (KN95 is the Chinese equivalent to N95). FFP3 is a different matter. I had to have mine shipped over from Germany.
KN95 are even available on Bazaraki: https://www.bazaraki.com/adv/3027017_kn95-face-mask/
I doubt though that they can really be washed (in contrast to what that ad claims). I would never risk that (German guidelines explicitly state that this renders them unsafe). Instead, I´d rather disinfect them by putting them into the oven at 75 degrees Celsius for 90 min.

If worn correctly a mask will move when you breath. Only then can you assume it fits tightly enough. If it doesn´t, air can bypass the filter. I´d suggest to test a few until you find one that fits comfortably and can be fitted tightly. There are quite some differences in terms of comfort. I´d opt for one with a smooth rubber cushion at the top which seals the bridge area.
jeba

Post by jeba »

galexinda wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:20 am
jeba wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:27 am What I don´t understand is that people don´t wear certified masks (FFP 2 or 3) now that they are available. Why not wear one that actually offers protection to myself (as opposed to merely protecting others) if I have to wear one anyway?
Must admit I am concerned about the level of protection given by various face coverings, especially the popular ones made of ordinary material.
It took some time but now you´re finally proven right being concerned: https://www.bbc.com/news/health-57636360