I hope this is Fake News

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
71 Trans Am

I hope this is Fake News

Post by 71 Trans Am »

Coronavirus 'will keep coming back every year like the flu', warns top Chinese scientist

YAHOO STAFF WRITER
Apr 28th 2020 2:25PM

The coronavirus will not be eradicated, scientists in China have predicted.
Researchers in the country where Covid-19 originated said the virus will keep returning in waves every year just like flu.
"This is very likely to be an epidemic that co-exists with humans for a long time, becomes seasonal and is sustained within human bodies," said Jin Qi, director of the Institute of Pathogen Biology at the Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences in Beijing, Bloomberg reported.
He said that locating the original case of Covid-19 was an "extremely difficult scientific problem that requires a great amount of interdisciplinary research".
Jin added: "If patient zero is asymptomatic or has very mild symptoms, he or she may not have seen a doctor and left a medical record."
According to Johns Hopkins University, there have been 4,637 coronavirus-related deaths in China, with only a handful of cases being reported each day, but there has been widespread scepticism about the country's official COVID-19 figures.
jeba

Re: I hope this is Fake News

Post by jeba »

Why should it be fake news? I´m afraid it´s almost safe to say it won´t be eradicated even if there will be a vaccine because not even in the developed world everybody will be vaccinated. And let´s not even talk about Africa, South America, India etc. There will always be a pool of vectors. In a best case scenario we´ll have a vaccine which provides immunity for more than a year and the virus will not mutate too quickly. Just my guess.
WHL

Post by WHL »

The simple fact is no one knows at present
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

The difference between Corona and the Flu is there are no vaccines yet for Corona. If people could get an annual corona vaccine it wouldn't be the issue it is at the moment.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
mike strand2

Post by mike strand2 »

I caught a programme on BBC4 (part way in) last night titled " Pain Puss & Poison, The". It doesn't cover Covid-19, but does go to illustrate how in some instances deadly diseases, like smallpox, can be tamed through vaccination. Contains scenes that some viewers may find upsetting.
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

I think it will be down to survival of the fittest - some will die, many will have symptoms of varying degrees and others experience nothing. It's not going to go away and in the meantime it is a waiting game to find an effective treatment and/or vaccination that can be applied to the masses without requiring so much dependence on intensive one to one healthcare.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Les Bean wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:06 am
Dominic wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:18 am The difference between Corona and the Flu is there are no vaccines yet for Corona. If people could get an annual corona vaccine it wouldn't be the issue it is at the moment.
There is no vaccine for the common cold either
Well yes, but nobody really cares about the lack of a cold vaccine.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.