At last....a different Opinion

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Dominic
Site Admin

Re: At last....a different Opinion

Post by Dominic »

sadie62 wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:08 pm And what does that matter that I refer you to a link that someone else has posted when
a) it is a link I myself had already viewed and
b) it pretty much sums up what I believe
but because you obviously believe that severe, prolonged lock downs are the answer until a safe and reliable vaccine is found, which may be some time - and you are not alone and you have the right to that view - but because it is not my view - and I too am not alone - then you cannot help yourself to wade in with an aggressive approach.
And you still haven't answered a simple question.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

My wife keeps getting post from lots of Russian web sites and the general message is that this is all a conspiracy and that the plan is to microchip everyone when given the vaccine. I can tell the wife half believes this is what CV19 is all about, controlling the populace. Some of her friends are frightened and really believe it as well.
Conspiracy theories frighten people.

Jim
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Jim B wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:19 pm Conspiracy theories frighten people.
... Yes, because they are often more credible than the truth. It may seem harsh but I am of the opinion that a long lockdown is probably the best answer to an unwanted predicament. By 'long', I would suggest that the number of active cases be better than 0.0001 of the population or that the number of deaths in a week be less than 1 percent of that figure. This would certainly mean that hard-hit countries would not be able to relax the tightest controls for a considerable time and after a lot of hard work, while the countries with good results to date will be able to relax sooner. Unfortunately, this idea falls flat with countries like Cyprus because there are not enough cases or deaths to be statistically significant.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Sadie62
As said previously I agree we have to start looking at ways to start the economy going again and I do my little bit by buying takeaways and as stated earlier bought a couple of air tickets gambling that things will start moving. It has to be done step by step, whatever this virus is it's dangerous to everyone and we cant be too careful.
I understand that next week the government will be looking at ways of relaxing the lockdown.

Jim
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Jim B wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:46 pm
As said previously I agree we have to start looking at ways to start the economy going again
But never at the risk of spreading the disease! :twisted:
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Devil wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:08 am
Jim B wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:46 pm
As said previously I agree we have to start looking at ways to start the economy going again
But never at the risk of spreading the disease! :twisted:
I never suggested that Devil but what's the difference in buying a loaf of bread and a bag of cement, apart from the cement being heavier. As long as the same safety procedures are followed there shouldn't be any additional risk, if there is a rise in cases close them down again. B&Q opened in the UK yesterday and they're operating like the food supermarkets and it appears to be working

Jim
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

The problem is the 'we' in your sentence. Do you mean the country, the government, parliament, the companies, the individuals or what?

Simple hypothetical example: We may start a small part of the economy by allowing shops selling cosmetics but hairdressers also sell them and they could infect by contact, therefore it would be wise to ban the sale of cosmetics.