Coronavirus: Ministers approve plan to gradually re-open businesses

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Paphos Life

Coronavirus: Ministers approve plan to gradually re-open businesses

Post by Paphos Life »

The cabinet on Wednesday approved a plan for the gradual lifting of restrictions and reopening vital businesses from early May, provided the epidemiological data allow it, Finance Minister Constantinos Petrides said.Petrides said the plan includes three stages that reach the end of 2021....

Read the article and chat about it below...
trevnhil

Re: Coronavirus: Ministers approve plan to gradually re-open businesses

Post by trevnhil »

No doubt there will be many many people that will be glad when the restrictions start to be removed...
But I also think that my wife and I will still be very wary at going out and mixing with people..
And I don't think we will be alone in our thinking
Trev..
mike strand2

Post by mike strand2 »

It doesn't actually tell us very much!
Diocletian

Post by Diocletian »

How nice of the EU to give guidelines on how to exit the restrictions after being completely invisible during the pandemic.
Ticking away, the moments that make up a dull day.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

I would guess that one of the first businesses to start will be parts of the construction industry as they are important money earners for the state. Also various builders yards and d-i-y stores...

Dee
paulaf

Post by paulaf »

I wonder where tourism fits into this timetable given it generates a huge amount to the economy?
WHL

Post by WHL »

paulaf wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:08 pm I wonder where tourism fits into this timetable given it generates a huge amount to the economy?
I think tourism is a long way off yet
paulaf

Post by paulaf »

Do you think where it says December 2021 it is a typo and it means 2020? If not that's over 19 months to reopen everything, I hope the government has deep pockets!
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

As long as I can go for nice long walks again and have a swim on a deserted beach I will be ok. :)
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

trevnhil wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:07 pm No doubt there will be many many people that will be glad when the restrictions start to be removed...
But I also think that my wife and I will still be very wary at going out and mixing with people..
And I don't think we will be alone in our thinking
Likewise will also be extra careful from now on. Have to avoid people at the best of times so no real hardship there, but certainly will be taking more precautions with regards to anything I touch. Washed some coins today and was amazed how quickly the water turned grey.

Perhaps a little selfish but being in the older age group as well as having chronic health problems I do like the special time set aside at supermarkets, pharmacies and banks and hope this continues (though for not such a long segment of time each day or perhaps just on a few days per week).
71 Trans Am

Post by 71 Trans Am »

It seems that Jet 2 are playing the long game – Rather than refund for a holiday cancellation –
A colleague of mine who holiday’s in Cyprus every June asked Jet 2 if he could move his Holiday to September as June looked dubious and was told that moving the booking to 2021 may be a better option but they would try for dates in September if that’s what he really wanted – He chose 2021 as he was told that there could be a shortage of Holidays next year. I have had a similar conversation recently regarding my next stay in Paphos regarding whether flights and access to Cyprus will be available within the next three months as it is not just about Cyprus – It is whether or not the UK will be in a position to start flying again and at the moment I think flying planes is the least of their worries.
paulaf

Post by paulaf »

Dominic wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:55 pm As long as I can go for nice long walks again and have a swim on a deserted beach I will be ok. :)
Well I hope you have deep pockets too then and don't rely or enjoy any benefits of tourism.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Diocletian wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:19 pm How nice of the EU to give guidelines on how to exit the restrictions after being completely invisible during the pandemic.
Cheap shot :roll:
Cherry345

Post by Cherry345 »

I think we to will be very wary if they lift restrictions, I read yesterday about the restrictions in Austria being lifted slowly, but all of the stores that opened were empty as everyone is still to afraid to go out.
I wonder also that if they were to start opening a few stores in May whether its a bit like an experiment to see if the numbers of infected people rise, and if they do then they probably would put us on lockdown again.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

paulaf wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:36 am
Dominic wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:55 pm As long as I can go for nice long walks again and have a swim on a deserted beach I will be ok. :)
Well I hope you have deep pockets too then and don't rely or enjoy any benefits of tourism.
Not at all. But it is better to be broke and out in the open air than broke and cooped up inside. At least outside I can enjoy Cyprus' beauty, and count my blessings. You should try it some time.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Or Russia. The figures there seem to be going up.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

My Son in Law works in one of the big hotels and he's in it for the long haul which could possibly be till the end of next year before it gets back to any kind of normalcy.

Jim
Diocletian

Post by Diocletian »

WHL wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:05 am
Diocletian wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:19 pm How nice of the EU to give guidelines on how to exit the restrictions after being completely invisible during the pandemic.
Cheap shot :roll:
Accurate though. They have proved themselves less than effective.
Diocletian

Post by Diocletian »

Dominic wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:37 am Or Russia. The figures there seem to be going up.
Indeed. It was quite suspicious that whilst China, Italy, Spain and France were experiencing huge case numbers, Russia was registering 145! I suspect that, as with other totalitarian regimes, Russia was not the best at recording figures or at worst, trying to hide them.
paulaf

Post by paulaf »

This is interesting, sounds like at least there is a loose plan for restarting tourism.

http://www.parikiaki.com/2020/04/cyprus ... ster-says/