Surely Not What We read elsewhere

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Mike J

Surely Not What We read elsewhere

Post by Mike J »

“ There is no reason for concern for those citizens that visited a Nicosia supermarket branch that announced yesterday positive cases found at its premises, said Dr Leontios Kostrikis on Tuesday evening.

Responding to questions from journalists following the daily briefing of new Covid cases in Cyprus, asked whether all customers of the supermarket should take the coronavirus test, Kostrikis said that there is no reason to do so.

He explained that based on the Epidemiological Surveillance Unit’s protocols, to be a contact of a positive case you need to have interacted with them in the same space for a continuous period of more than 15 minutes.

“You understand that in such businesses, there is no chance you will be in contact with an employee for 15 consecutive minutes; not at the till nor at any other service point,” he noted.”

Shouldn’t he have added that that is as long as you were at least 2 metres away at all times which in many busy supermarkets is nigh on impossible.
josef k

Re: Surely Not What We read elsewhere

Post by josef k »

The guy is an idiot. Is he really saying you have to be with someone for 15 minutes before you get infected? If so, why can't we go out and about and pass people in the street? Why can't we walk on beaches etc? Crazy.
Mrblobby

Post by Mrblobby »

If this happened at one supermarket , surely it could happen at more ?

I give thanks to all supermarket staff at this time , they are doing a great job . And I hope for the safe recovery of those that have tested positive.
Mike J

Post by Mike J »

Josef K , the Doctor, who you call an idiot is the head honcho advising the government on the virus that’s why I’m hoping he was misquoted though even then it is an amazing thing to have said given that at the same press conference he said that he was still very worried about the lack of social distancing being practised by the population. Having been in a supermarket today which was full of people barely a foot apart from each other it’s a message that still hasn’t got across . The Easter holiday could lead to far more cases I fear given the amount of meat being bought . Let’s hope they were just hoarding !!
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

I pity the police this coming week end, they will have their work cut out stopping possible church services, extinguishing any bonfires (that haven’t been removed already), attending Souvla gatherings to check if everyone present lives in the sane house, as well as policing the roads in an attempt to keep everyone at home... thus enforcing social distancing,
Then there is enforcing the night curfew.
They are doing their best to keep us all safe.
For that I am grateful.

Dee
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

The meat will be purchased whether it is fed in groups of 2 or 20.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Kili01 wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:27 pm check if everyone present lives in the sane house
That's OK, I think I live in a lunatic asylum (mental hospital for the politically correct!) ! :lol: :lol:
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Thanks, Devil. Am glad that you have a sense of humour which is essential given the rigors of solitary social distancing now In its 4th week....

Dee
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Les Bean
I also agree with you the early shopping hours for over 65’s reserved in SOME supermarkets are a blessing for those of us senior citizens. I particularly like the effort by LIDL, who have gone out of their way to make shopping there before 10am safer, and much more pleasant for the elderly and disabled. I was much less impressed by a certain large supermarket in Chloraka which just directed customers to a bottle of hand gel.But apparently not restricting access to their supermarket to the elderly well before 10am yesterday.
Dee

P
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Austin7 wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:47 pm This shopping before 10am has significantly changed my life, and not for the better! I have to get out of bed a lot earlier in the morning now. :lol: :oops:
100% agree! :lol: :lol: :twisted:
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Sorry, HiC, doesn't work here:
1. I wake before 07:00; OH about 08:30
2. She is even more disabled than I
3. She is still drinking tea at 10:00

PS for you grammar fiends: 2. above is grammatically correct, so don't jump down my throat
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

Kili01 wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:33 am Les Bean
I also agree with you the early shopping hours for over 65’s reserved in SOME supermarkets are a blessing for those of us senior citizens.
Dee
P
''It notes that from opening time until 10 am daily, supermarkets will exclusively cater only people who a) belong to the vulnerable groups, b) are over 60 years old and c) those with disabilities''.

People aged 60 and above:

https://in-cyprus.philenews.com/health- ... us-spread/