Lidl this week

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
mike strand2

Re: Lidl this week

Post by mike strand2 »

Paps in Chlorakas yesterday! I wasn't aware that selling these was banned.
b07ed526-46be-4121-90ac-c19df76a9a7c.JPG
b07ed526-46be-4121-90ac-c19df76a9a7c.JPG (46.6 KiB) Viewed 4947 times
ee933daf-2389-46f0-a8ac-427279a5791a.JPG
ee933daf-2389-46f0-a8ac-427279a5791a.JPG (52.18 KiB) Viewed 4947 times
890436b2-eb8e-435c-a6cb-243048df34d1.JPG
890436b2-eb8e-435c-a6cb-243048df34d1.JPG (44.13 KiB) Viewed 4947 times
Suetal

Post by Suetal »

i was in Lidl yesterday and all the non food items,were covered over.
memory man

Post by memory man »

The escalator to the first floor in Sklavenitis is also taped off.
kansas

Post by kansas »

Ah, shame, that was my only bit of excitement when going shopping once in a while, to check out the non-food items while my OH shopped so we could buy items keep ourselves occupied with jobs at home. However, I can see the reasoning behind it. According to my sister-in-law her local B & Q in the UK is still open for business and doing a roaring trade as folk buy general DIY items to keep them busy and staying indoors during lock down.
mike strand2

Post by mike strand2 »

kansas wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:29 am Ah, shame, that was my only bit of excitement when going shopping once in a while, to check out the non-food items while my OH shopped so we could buy items keep ourselves occupied with jobs at home. However, I can see the reasoning behind it. According to my sister-in-law her local B & Q in the UK is still open for business and doing a roaring trade as folk buy general DIY items to keep them busy and staying indoors during lock down.
At the moment Garden Shops / Nurseries are still open for business in Cyprus, so no excuse for unkempt gardens! ;)
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

I don't disagree with the steps being taken, but it makes everyday life difficult, if for instance your toaster or kettle blows up..
Trev..
kansas

Post by kansas »

Already tackled the garden. It looks like I may have to start on one of the 1000 piece jigsaw puzzles and, for me, that's really scraping the barrel!

I agree, Trev, not good when your appliances blow up.

At least we can still have our once a day exercise, and the weather is absolutely glorious, so it's not so bad.....
Paul

Post by Paul »

It was a good job that I repaired our kettle when it stopped working then!!
The Aquila

Post by The Aquila »

Trev, If your toaster or kettle blows up (how many time in your lifetime has that happened) you could always use the grill for toast or boil the water in a saucepan?

Kansas, if you get stuck with your jigsaw then give a shout as I hold the world record the them.....it said 5 - 7 years on the box and I did it in 2 days 😆 ok, I’ll get my coat.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

It’s very sad that LIDL can’t sell its usual special offers. Is it due to social distancing requirements or just sour grapes by other shops that had to close?
That means it won’t be possible to get things as basic as stationery items, computer paper for printing Govt forms, or indeed printing out for future ref important Govt or BHC email communications. Plus very useful domestic or kitchen items.
Dee
ast

Post by ast »

kansas wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:29 am According to my sister-in-law her local B & Q in the UK is still open for business and doing a roaring trade as folk buy general DIY items to keep them busy and staying indoors during lock down.
Not entirely correct as all B and Q stores in England and wales are closed although the click and collect system is operating, you can order certain items online and collect in the car park, no cash sales, no one allowed in the store, Social distancing in force in the collection area. 8-)
I started off with nothing and have most of it left !
kansas

Post by kansas »

Apologies, I must have received out of date info., which is to be expected as she hasn't been out of the house for over 3 weeks.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Kili01 wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:01 pm It’s very sad that LIDL can’t sell its usual special offers. Is it due to social distancing requirements or just sour grapes by other shops that had to close?
That means it won’t be possible to get things as basic as stationery items, computer paper for printing Govt forms, or indeed printing out for future ref important Govt or BHC email communications. Plus very useful domestic or kitchen items.
Dee

Sour grapes, are you for real, :roll: how can the government make shops close down, and then allow lidls to carry on selling stuff as normal, not sour grapes, more like being fair to other shop owners, which I for one applaud the goverment,
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Still think that’s a pity as LIDL are being very responsible about maintaining social distancing in their shops and regulating how many customers are allowed inside at any time
We have no firm idea of how long the lockdown will go on...
But c’est la vie!

As ever you and I, WHL seldom agree!

Dee
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

According to the local language press it is because other stores are complaining that they are shut down but the supermarkets are selling products that they usually sell. Seems fair to me. I would like to see the builders merchants open but that is a purely selfish reason; I can wait.

Jim
kansas

Post by kansas »

HIC - we phoned Brian at Computer SOS late last week to enquire about a ink cartridge for the printer we bought from them. He was very sorry but the shop is closed and he agreed with us that we would be best ordering from Amazon, which we duly did and it arrived by courier a week later.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

I would have paid good money to watch social distancing at Lidl on a thursday morning when a new batch of underwear arrives. Normally there is a cloud of pants in the air as the locals sift through the specials looking for, oh I don't know, whatever it is that makes them unpack them all. But I know one thing, social distancing would be impossible.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Sklavantis (?) in Larnaca have shut off their upstairs (non-food area). Is this done by decree?
mike strand2

Post by mike strand2 »

Devil wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:11 pm Sklavantis (?) in Larnaca have shut off their upstairs (non-food area). Is this done by decree?
That's a very good question Devil. :?:
Varky

Post by Varky »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:27 pm Sensible requirement so that supermarket Lidl are not given an unfair commercial advantage over other stores who would normally sell these items, but who are now prevented from doing so. We stocked up on toner cartridges several weeks ago, as I foresaw this situation arising.
Incidentally you can still order consumables from Paphos Computers, but you are not allowed to visit their shop to collect. They have to send to you by courier and you will collect from the ACS on the Mesoghi Rd. I expect Computer SOS will offer a similiar arrangement.
Regarding the first paragraph, so it is more important to protect those stores that do not sell essentials from such as Lidl where the majority of shoppers are there just for the essentials of survival and whose non-essentials form a very small part of their sales Smells to me of primitive protectionism and does nothing to encourage the lock down we are all expected to suffer by at least making life a little easier in these testing times.
Regarding the second paragraph, I can't understand the logic where it is permitted to go to ACS to collect a non-essential item couriered from a supplier to ACS when it is not allowed to collect the same item from the supplier (as long as hygiene protection measures are being followed). Perhaps ACS are performing some sort of sterilisation process at their premises :lol: . Again it seems that business is being organised to help courier companies and whose additional costs will inevitably passed on to the customer. This does not seem to me to be common sense, but who am I to question such matters?