Wearing face masks

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Pinleyb93

Re: Wearing face masks

Post by Pinleyb93 »

Wore a face mask while shopping on Friday, small problem though having to breathe kept steaming my glasses up so had difficulty seeing what I was buying.
memory man

Post by memory man »

Same problem for me Pinley.
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

Yes that is what happened to me originally re steaming up my specs. So I lowered the specs down and tightened the mask on my snot box. Perfect no steaming.
All things are possible
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

https://in-cyprus.philenews.com/persona ... community/

This article covers several aspects of personal protective measures to continue the debate:

Hand Hygiene
Gloves
Masks
jeba

Post by jeba »

galexinda wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:20 pm https://in-cyprus.philenews.com/persona ... community/

This article covers several aspects of personal protective measures to continue the debate:
From the article:
The use of improvised cloth masks do not protect but instead pose a risk. Moreover a high protection mask or face shield have no benefits if used in the community. So if a decision is taken to use a mask, this should be a surgical mask
This is in direct contradiction to what the pundits I´m following recommend. They explicitely recommend improvised masks as long as you don´t have proper ones. The risk comes from incorrect use (like e. g. touching them or your face with contaminated hands when taking them off or wearing them even though they are wet). Obviously, it´s also not in line what the advisors of e. g. the Austrian government recommed (wearing a mask is mandatory in Austria and other countries).
jeba

Post by jeba »

The epidemiologist also called on people to wear masks while visiting supermarkets and bakeries as shoppers are at risk.

“If we all wear a mask, the risk of transmitting the virus to each other is reduced to almost zero. If someone coughs and is wearing a mask, they will not emit droplets containing the virus which can remain in the atmosphere for a few hours,” Voniatis said.
source: https://www.financialmirror.com/2020/04 ... -by-virus/
jeba

Post by jeba »

Jena, the first German city to make waering facemasks mandatory in public 14 days ago (they suggested people sew their own as there was a lack of professional masks) hasn´t had a singe new infection since then. While there is no proof that this is a causal relationship it certainly supports the notion. Also, Korea and Hongkong, where wearing facemasks is universally practised managed to contain the virus even without a lockdown (source: https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanc ... etoc_email).
I don´t understand what governments are still waiting for.
Yioula

Post by Yioula »

I think there are variances on the use of masks it doesn’t actually stop you getting the virus but if you have the virus is stops you passing it on.........
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

Yioula wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:28 pm I think there are variances on the use of masks it doesn’t actually stop you getting the virus but if you have the virus is stops you passing it on.........
A correct type of mask worn correctly can STOP COVID-19 from entering the Oral and Nasal pharynx.
All things are possible
Yioula

Post by Yioula »

Lincoln is that so ........are you actually in possession of one of these, if so, I think the WORLD would wish to know where one can purchase such a mask......
WHL

Post by WHL »

My wife and I now wear a mask from the minute we get out of the car until we get back in it, ... even when this nightmare is over I'm thinking of wearing one on flights in the future.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Presently they're not available, my wife has been to several pharmacies to buy them without success.

Jim
kansas

Post by kansas »

We do the same WHL and will probably continue to do it for the foreseeable future until a vaccine is available. Even before this happened flights were always a risk for vulnerable people with the amount of people flying whilst suffering from colds, flu, etc. Two of our neighbours (separate households) have always suffered from colds within a few days of returning from the UK.
WHL

Post by WHL »

kansas wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:24 am We do the same WHL and will probably continue to do it for the foreseeable future until a vaccine is available. Even before this happened flights were always a risk for vulnerable people with the amount of people flying whilst suffering from colds, flu, etc. Two of our neighbours (separate households) have always suffered from colds within a few days of returning from the UK.
Agree, a couple of times we have noticed that we have boarded a plane feeling well had people coughing and sneezing around us, only to get the sniffles the following days, ive thought about wearing a mask on flights way before any of this started, but I was always concerned what others would think.but not any more.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

For the first time this morning I have worn a mask whilst doing some shopping at mainly a fruit shop..
Like WHL I would have felt 'silly' in the past. But not so now. I was glad that the shop had gloves to wear and a spray for your hands.
Trev..
kansas

Post by kansas »

Agree with you Trev and WHL, we felt silly at first wearing masks but not any more...
jeba

Post by jeba »

Gloves will probably do more harm than good. If you touch a contaminated surface you´ll contaminate the next thing you touch just as you´d with your hands. So at the end of your shopping you´ll simply have two more potentially infective items. It makes much more sense to not use them and rather disinfect your hands after shopping.
WHL

Post by WHL »

jeba wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:00 am Gloves will probably do more harm than good. If you touch a contaminated surface you´ll contaminate the next thing you touch just as you´d with your hands. So at the end of your shopping you´ll simply have two more potentially infective items. It makes much more sense to not use them and rather disinfect your hands after shopping.
Don't understand your reasoning take lidl's for example, everyone sanitises their hands and then wears gloves, how are you going to transmit anything you then touch?
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

I wear gloves and disinfect my hands after shopping
Trev..
jeba

Post by jeba »

WHL wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:23 am
jeba wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:00 am Gloves will probably do more harm than good. If you touch a contaminated surface you´ll contaminate the next thing you touch just as you´d with your hands. So at the end of your shopping you´ll simply have two more potentially infective items. It makes much more sense to not use them and rather disinfect your hands after shopping.
Don't understand your reasoning take lidl's for example, everyone sanitises their hands and then wears gloves, how are you going to transmit anything you then touch?
You only have to touch anything already contaminated (e. g. the handle of your trolley, a pack of noodles...) because it was exposed to infectious droplets another customer or an employee exhaled. If you didn´t think there was a risk of that you wouldn´t wear gloves in the first place.