Wearing face masks

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
memory man

Wearing face masks

Post by memory man »

MoH expert weighs in on mask debate

A Health Ministry expert on Friday weighed in on the ongoing debate on whether the general population should wear a mask.

Dr Marios Loizou, scientific director of the state health services Nicosia, who with Dr Leontios Kostrikis holds a daily press conference on the Covid-19 situation in Cyprus, said the issue was being widely discussed in the media.

He said that the current situation was as follows:

WHO disagrees with the use of masks in the general population, warning that their mistaken use is dangerous. The dangers are the possibility of someone becoming infected by touching and reusing a mask, developing difficulty breathing, and the false sense of security which may lead someone to be negligent as regards important hygiene measures such as washing the hands and social distancing.

WHO reiterates that masks should be worn by patients, those who care for them and those working in the health sector.

At the same time, the European Centre on Disease Prevention and Control (ECDC), while agreeing with WHO does not rule out the possibility of a recommendation for more extensive use of masks under certain conditions.

The position of ECDC is that depending on the epidemiological situations and the specific circumstances of congregating in countries such as at supermarkets and banks, there may be benefits, primarily to prevent transmission by asymptomatic patients.

The need is directly linked to the contagion in each country. At the same time, the ECDC also warn against the dangers of mistaken use and particularly of the false sense of security that may make us forget the rules of hygiene that protect us — washing our hands, social distancing and not touching our face.

“If we are to come to the point of requiring the general population to wear a mask will depend on the contagion and the number of asymptomatic patients,” Loizou said.

The latter will emerge from the tests to carried out on 20,000 people following the decision of the Council of Ministers, he concluded.

https://in-cyprus.philenews.com/moh-exp ... sk-debate/
trevnhil

Re: Wearing face masks

Post by trevnhil »

I think no matter what the professionals say it is very much up to the individual.. I paid a regular visit to our pharmacy yesterday and it is all change there.. There is a note on the door outside that only three people are allowed in at one time.. Inside screens have been erected along the front of the counter with a slot to pass things through... The pharmacist and his assistant had white gowns on, and really good quality face masks on with a ventilator built in... And of course they had gloves on.. But when it comes to paying you still have to hand your card over to be swiped.
Personally I have not worn a mask yet.. But I have worn gloves and used the antiseptic gel which I take with me ... But there are times when you forget :-(
Trev..
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

We always wear a mask and gloves when ever we go out. Nice to see that Most people are starting to do the same.
All things are possible
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Never a face mask but occasionally give my clean hands a little gel, where it is offered!
Galini

Post by Galini »

Provided you can get hold of a supply of masks then I am totally in favour of wearing one when out.
Whatever you choose to believe as to their ability to stop the virus, they certainly act as a reminder not to touch your mouth and nose ! You just put on and remove by touching only the straps.
In my book that is worth the cost and the 'inconvenience'
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-51205344

Good, reasoned article. :) Read it, don't just see the video. www.bbc.com/news/health-51205344

The World Health Organization (WHO) has looked at the latest evidence, including whether the virus can be projected further than previously thought.

Only two groups of people should wear protective masks, those who are:

sick and showing symptoms

caring for people suspected to have the coronavirus

Masks are not recommended for the general public because:

they can be contaminated by other people's coughs and sneezes or when putting them on or removing them
frequent hand-washing and social distancing are more effective
they might offer a false sense of security
jeba

Post by jeba »

Devil wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:25 am Masks are not recommended for the general public because:

they can be contaminated by other people's coughs and sneezes or when putting them on or removing them
frequent hand-washing and social distancing are more effective
they might offer a false sense of security
That´s not good reasoning. The claim made in the video that the virus isn´t airborne is a very candid one. According to what I know the jury is still out on that (this was only confirmed independently and very recently by two prominent German virologists). While it´s not the major route of transmission (inhalation of droplets is) it can´t be ruled out. E. g. there was a documented case in Munich where 2 people were talking to each other in a canteen sitting back to back and one of them infected the other with the virus. That´s suspicious of airborn transmission. There are also in vitro tests which show that the virus can be transmitted in droplets smaller than 5 micrometer (which is the most common definition of being airborn) onto cell cultures. Those small droplets can remain in the air for 20 min or even much longer (depending on a lot of factors).

It goes without saying that standard fascemasks won´t protect you from being infected. This should be common knowledge by now (only FFP2, FFP3 or N95 masks can protect to a degree). They can however reduce the risk (not to zero) that an (maybe unknowingly) infected person spredads the virus. So if everyone was wearing a mask it would help.

You can also reuse masks after decontaminating them e. g. by heating them to 70 deg for at least 15 min (e. g. in the oven).

You can wash your hands and wear a mask - it´s not mutually exclusive.

Only someone who doesn´t understand how the virus is transmitted will have a sense of security by wearing a mask. There should be more education offered.
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

Very difficult to find up-to-date scientific evidence on this subject - in the meantime best to take whatever precautions you feel comfortable with.
jeba

Post by jeba »

galexinda wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:27 pm Very difficult to find up-to-date scientific evidence on this subject
What about this?: https://www.cebm.net/covid-19/what-is-t ... are-staff/
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Re: Wearing face masks from the NHS

Post by Devil »

The general public are not advised to wear gloves or any other protective gear.**

To protect yourself from coronavirus, the NHS* recommends:

Wash hands with soap and water often, for at least 20 seconds and immediately on returning home
Use hand sanitiser gel if soap and water are not available
Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or your sleeve - not your hands - when you cough or sneeze**
Put used tissues in the bin immediately and wash your hands afterwards
Do not touch your eyes, nose or mouth if your hands are not clean

* NHS in UK
** implies no mask
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

As I said before I wear mask and gloves. It is my choice. All the info and arguments for and against has no effect on me. I am out to protect myself and my wife when we are out and about. We take all the other precautions as well. The COVID-19 is spread by P.A.T.= People, Air and Things. Whilst in H.M. Forces I did a very intense course on Cross infection. I remember it well. As an ex forces I also worked for Molnlycke a huge Swedish Conglomerate. Supplying items to the health care services. I did a course on microbiology with that company. Just to let you all know I know what I am talking about. So you takes your choice.
All things are possible
jeba

Post by jeba »

Lincoln wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:55 pm As I said before I wear mask and gloves.
What´s the point of wearing gloves? Wearing gloves won´t help against spreading the virus via smear infection and you can disinfect your hands once you leave the shop. Therefore, assuming you touched a contaminated surface in the first place you´d still could have contaminated everything else you touched thereafter - and carry the virus home. I´d rather wear protective glasses as the virus can infect you via your eyes.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

In the end its down to personal preference. I wear disposable gloves when out, use hand gel as well. I also have a washable mask with an air filter. Ventilators as far as I’m aware are something quite different and used in intensive care units.I also wash my hands frequently and have developed dry skin as a result.

Dee
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

jeba wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:33 pm
galexinda wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:27 pm Very difficult to find up-to-date scientific evidence on this subject
What about this?: https://www.cebm.net/covid-19/what-is-t ... are-staff/
Thank you for the link which refers to a primary healthcare setting which is similar to a scientific testing place .

However, I am interested in the efficiency of these masks in other locations and when they are used by the general public as I feel improper use can be more harmful than not wearing one at all. Similarly handwashing is promoted as being very effective, but how many people do it ..... and of those do it properly?
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

I too wear gloves and then Hand gel when I get back in the car
Trev..
JimX

Post by JimX »

I have not been out at all apart from daily short dog walking, even then I carry the requested form filled in each day, I did notice from my net twitching curtains many locals walking together and what looks like many vehicles in use, obviously Trikes and mopeds are not going shopping, false sense of security by some, all very worrying for many people especially us older bods..Only time we ventured out was to visit our GP then we both used masks even if they do not work? :(

Have managed to buy hand sterilising gel for refilling our dispensers.

Keep well all!
Jim.
memory man

Post by memory man »

For dog walking............. you do not need to fill in the Form B,
provided you stay close by your home.

https://in-cyprus.philenews.com/animal- ... thout-sms/
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

Thank you for the above Austin7 - a very readable article with many links to further more detailed sections about the care of face masks.
kansas

Post by kansas »

We use face masks and gloves just before we go into the supermarket, use the sanitiser provided and then bin our gloves in the bins provided as soon as we come out. With regard to the face masks, can't really comment knowledgeably, but we do know they make other people feel more comfortable when they see you wearing one.
jeba

Post by jeba »

kansas wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:22 am With regard to the face masks, can't really comment knowledgeably, but we do know they make other people feel more comfortable when they see you wearing one.
Rightfully so.