Where would you rather be?

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Mark

Where would you rather be?

Post by Mark »

In these troubled times, and with the opportunity of living in Cyprus or Uk, I have been asked why I stay in Cyprus.

The answer is simple.....I feel safer here.

As a small island, Cyprus has responded rapidly to the current crisis, in the main, the population has responded well to government advice, a government which responds rapidly to the current environment and reacts accordingly.

Yes, we have difficult times ahead, I am happy to embrace the situation here as opposed to anywhere else.
WHL

Re: Where would you rather be?

Post by WHL »

Mark wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:14 pm In these troubled times, and with the opportunity of living in Cyprus or Uk, I have been asked why I stay in Cyprus.

The answer is simple.....I feel safer here.

As a small island, Cyprus has responded rapidly to the current crisis, in the main, the population has responded well to government advice, a government which responds rapidly to the current environment and reacts accordingly.

Yes, we have difficult times ahead, I am happy to embrace the situation here as opposed to anywhere else.
Can't argue with that, when I see the chaos in the stores back in the UK and the slow response of Boris and co, added to that the disgusting way the health workers have been hung out to dry, im glad im here, unfortunately I have family on the front line in a hospital there,
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

We're okay where we are but we're a small village which on a normal day often feels like we live at the end of the world.
Under these new circumstances, living at the end of the world feels more comfortable than being a townie or city dweller.
We have a Spar, CoOp store, pharmacy, butcher's, bakery, fruit and veg shop, post office, pet shop, cheese and deli shop, hardware store and several takeaway's which are making deliveries.
Nobody is going without. We've set up our own help team consisting of around 300 volunteers who are shopping and/or taking people out to shop or attend urgent appointments.
Not bad in about ten days since our soft lockdown.
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

I too am among those who would rather be here in Cyprus.. I think that the UK has done too little too late.
My daughter is a nurse in a big hospital there, and has been off work with the virus symptoms for the last 10 days.
She is due to return to work tomorrow and I asked if she will be tested before she goes back.. "No there will be no test " she told me... Amazing, and incompetent..
Trev..
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

Like the others we love it here and feel safe. Both of us are in the high risk category. Breathing and chest problems. I feel so sad for a lot of those people in the UK. Two friends there have the Covid-19. Both went out and about without gloves or masks on. I begged them to wear them There response was. "We will take the chance" unbelievable. I just hope that all of you wear gloves and a mask when out shopping walking etc. Stay safe folks and stay indoors.
All things are possible
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

I agree, feeling much safer here in Cyprus. I echo what others have said that the Govt here has been making all the right moves since the virus reached this sunny island.
I just hope that tests will reveal some of those in the Paphos area who have virus symptoms as its worrying that some of us are living in the actual villages where testing will be carried out, which are being targeted
I stay inside most of the time, but enjoy a short walk in a deserted area close to my home for exercise purposes..
Dee

Dee
Diocletian

Post by Diocletian »

Always good to see the political bitching about the old country and its response to the situation. Not everything can be blamed on the Government. In fact there is an entire supply chain that appears to be malfunctioning over the PPE situation and it is terribly frustrating. Having said that, my daughter is nursing in the ICU at Bristols Children's Hospital and has absolutely no shortage of PPE and tests.
Ticking away, the moments that make up a dull day.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Diocletian wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:49 am Always good to see the political bitching about the old country and its response to the situation. Not everything can be blamed on the Government. In fact there is an entire supply chain that appears to be malfunctioning over the PPE situation and it is terribly frustrating. Having said that, my daughter is nursing in the ICU at Bristols Children's Hospital and has absolutely no shortage of PPE and tests.
Nothing to do with political bitching, it is what it is.
Diocletian

Post by Diocletian »

Interesting to read the increasing amount of anecdotal evidence for the arrival of the virus in Cyprus as early as January! Several people writing about symptoms being experienced as early as New Years Eve in Polis and varying symptoms encountered that would support the Cov19 App and its findings being collated by Kings College London. These include in some cases a loss of taste and smell and some abdominal pain at the outset.
Galini

Post by Galini »

I am definitely glad to be here in Cyprus.
I only wish that my sister who works in a hospital in UK and my elderly mother with COPD were here with me :cry:
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Diocletian wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:55 am Interesting to read the increasing amount of anecdotal evidence for the arrival of the virus in Cyprus as early as January! Several people writing about symptoms being experienced as early as New Years Eve in Polis and varying symptoms encountered that would support the Cov19 App and its findings being collated by Kings College London. These include in some cases a loss of taste and smell and some abdominal pain at the outset.
We flew to the UK over Christmas. While there we all had very high temperatures and tickly coughs. It only lasted a couple of days, and the only thing that worked was bed rest. But my temp hit 102, which is very high for me, and our daughter was 104+. I should point out though, that she does get high temps very easily.

No idea what it was, but it wasn't a cold or the flu, I know that much. At the time we presumed we picked it up on the flight over.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

I guess i'd rather be on a desert island with some 800,000 other stranded people.
Reesy

Post by Reesy »

No brainer : CYPRUS👍
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Dominic wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:54 am
Diocletian wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:55 am Interesting to read the increasing amount of anecdotal evidence for the arrival of the virus in Cyprus as early as January! Several people writing about symptoms being experienced as early as New Years Eve in Polis and varying symptoms encountered that would support the Cov19 App and its findings being collated by Kings College London. These include in some cases a loss of taste and smell and some abdominal pain at the outset.
We flew to the UK over Christmas. While there we all had very high temperatures and tickly coughs. It only lasted a couple of days, and the only thing that worked was bed rest. But my temp hit 102, which is very high for me, and our daughter was 104+. I should point out though, that she does get high temps very easily.

No idea what it was, but it wasn't a cold or the flu, I know that much. At the time we presumed we picked it up on the flight over.
We flew to the UK at the end of November and both came back with dry cough, flu like symptoms and I had bronchial pneumonia. Really ill for nearly two months and after 3 courses of antibiotics, x-rays and blood tests they couldn't find anything. Still short of breath and having good days and bad ones; don't know what it was.

Jim
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

We also came back from the UK with dry tickly coughs I ended up going to A&E on the Saturday before New years with a chest infection, high temperature and was given Antibiotics after X Ray and Blood tests etc
David
josef k

Post by josef k »

Of course I would rather be here, for all the reasons given above. I just wish my sons were here as well.
memory man

Post by memory man »

Already posted HERE
Diocletian

Post by Diocletian »

I understand from watching the daily bulletins from Downing Street, that the 'model' used initially was information from China. Imperial College took over the model and brought about the change in approach after it had predicted dire consequences for the mortality rate.
Swedens response is interesting in as much as, it continues to allow limited social life and the numbers effected are not as calamitous as other comparable populations.
Tremigirl

Post by Tremigirl »

Because of our TUI cruise which should have ended in Limassol got sent to the UK and we then got dumped by TUI, we are now stuck in the UK
So right now we would rather be in our own home in Cyprus.
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

How lucky we all are here. Yes us on this forum and our friends all around us. We at least are safe here in Paphos-Cyprus. Well done the Govt for acting so swiftly. We still take all the necessary precautions. Self-isolate, wear mask and gloves when venturing out.
All things are possible