BAT working on Covid-19 vaccine using tobacco leaves

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

BAT working on Covid-19 vaccine using tobacco leaves

Post by Devil »

https://in-cyprus.philenews.com/bat-wor ... co-leaves/

If tests prove positive, this may provide a good breakthrough to reduce the spread of the virus. However, I asked myself the question whether the technology advanced requires the specific use of tobacco leaves, to the exclusion of all other vegetation which may be even better. The company in question has a large investment in growing tobacco and therefore a great and vested interest. If other plants could do the same job more efficiently, then they should be used.

Totally out of context, I remember well the fields of tobacco in Cyprus in the 1950s. I believe that all cigarettes sold in Cyprus at that time had to contain a percentage of local tobacco. The smoke from it had a terrible odour! :cry: :cry: :cry: :twisted:
Dominic
Site Admin

Re: BAT working on Covid-19 vaccine using tobacco leaves

Post by Dominic »

Just imagine if the cure turned out to be a fat line of Charlie. What a party that would be, but everybody would think they were John Travolta.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Mirek

Post by Mirek »

I am so glad someone has mentioned the word BAT and Covid-19 in the same sentence

I have been thinking when I read somewhere that Chinese eating bats on a stick or something disgusting was a smoking gun that was the start of this thing we are living through at the moment

Whether this is right or maybe this is wrong but could unmaintained air-conditioning infested by dead creatures ( bats in this case & maybe birds with avian flu ) be the root cause of a lot of this crap that we are infested with ?

People could, in the summer be ingesting the winters putrifying/rotting creatures, and the effects take a few months to appear just when the northern hemisphere becomes cold

I just put a series of dots together and if you start with Legionnaires disease it was my starting point....I have another theory, but that one is more of conspiracy theory !!
Last edited by Mirek on Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mirek

Post by Mirek »

Varky

Post by Varky »

What is today's date?
Diocletian

Post by Diocletian »

I read somewhere that it had been transmitted from Bat to Pangolin and then to Human via the Market in Wuhan?
Ticking away, the moments that make up a dull day.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

There is absolutely no scientific proof that bats, pangolins or any other animal have been a vector in this outbreak. After all, they have been eaten for centuries without any problem. I agree that to our Western tastes that the Chinese seem to eat peculiar things. Until recently, the Chinese never ate milk or milk products and many of them could not digest them; cheese and butter are considered the height of yuck. There is a Chinese saying that if the sun shines on the back of an animal, it is good to eat. Although the consequences may be different, why not compare it to foot-and-mouth disease, also a viral disease, albeit from a different family.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1119772/
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Devil wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:20 pm There is absolutely no scientific proof that bats, pangolins or any other animal have been a vector in this outbreak. After all, they have been eaten for centuries without any problem. I agree that to our Western tastes that the Chinese seem to eat peculiar things. Until recently, the Chinese never ate milk or milk products and many of them could not digest them; cheese and butter are considered the height of yuck. There is a Chinese saying that if the sun shines on the back of an animal, it is good to eat. Although the consequences may be different, why not compare it to foot-and-mouth disease, also a viral disease, albeit from a different family.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1119772/
My Missus is from Kazakhstan, Kazakhs can digest milk because being a nomadic ethnic group their diet was predominately meat, camel milk and Ravioli type dough. Even though her country borders China they look on Chinese eating habits as disgusting.

Jim
Varky

Post by Varky »

Austin7 wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:11 pm
Varky wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:02 pm What is today's date?
Both publicised during March if you had bothered to check! :roll:
I was referring to the involvement of British American Tobacco (BAT) in searching for a vaccine and not the animal markets in China.
paulaf

Post by paulaf »

As its 1st April and the supposed link to the virus coming from bats, I presumed it was a very sick April Fools joke?
Mirek

Post by Mirek »

Hi Paula. I was the poster that read the title incorrectly and assumed the OP was about the animal and not British American Tobacco ( Pedantically and the correct title ) B.A.T. not BAT !!

The links you see are from the press

There is a strong link back to China to bat excretia containing strains almost matching Covid-19 and the current strain may have gone from bats to a rare creature that the Chinese also eat called a Pangolin and then onto humans
paulaf

Post by paulaf »

Has it been fact checked about the vaccine?
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

Considering that tobacco has for many years now been seen as harmful to health, it would be a rather strange twist in the tale of the human race if tobacco somehow saved the day!
Kay
Those who do not like cats, must have been mice in a former life! :lol:
Varky

Post by Varky »

paulaf wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:26 pm Has it been fact checked about the vaccine?
Following this comment last night I went on to the British American Tobacco (BAT) web page and there, under the latest news, was confirmation of the story that they were involved in searching for some sort of resolution to the present virus crisis. Obviously my connection with April Fool's Day was not correct.

Here is the link
https://www.bat.com/group/sites/UK__9D9 ... e/DOBN8QNL