Place your bets...

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
Dominic
Site Admin

Place your bets...

Post by Dominic »

Ok, so in the big government vote today, it will be a close thing. The question is, how close?

Post your prediction, and the winner will be crowned forum champ for a day, along with all the privileges that entails.

The current form shows 303 for the deal, 301 against, with 35 undecided.

More info here:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-50096546
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Dominic
Site Admin

Re: Place your bets...

Post by Dominic »

My guess: 323 for the deal. 316 against the deal.
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

My guess is 322 in favour of deal.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

And against the deal? Remember, not everybody will necessarily vote. In a tiebreaker details like this will be crucial. Forum Champ for the Day cannot be taken lightly...
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Dominic wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:59 am And against the deal? Remember, not everybody will necessarily vote. In a tiebreaker details like this will be crucial. Forum Champ for the Day cannot be taken lightly...
:lol: :shock: Ok, 322 for deal and 315 against, obviously not including Sinn Fein etc who don't vote. If I win, I'd like a crown and a sash for the day please and I'd like to thank everyone, including my old now dead pet goldfish.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Slow down tiger Practice your speech in front of your mirror. We only need to hear it here in the (unlikely) event that you win.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

320 for 317 against

`however, if the Letwin amendment goes in first, I think it will be more like 335 for
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

320 against deal, 314 for
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Dominic wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:17 am Slow down tiger Practice your speech in front of your mirror. We only need to hear it here in the (unlikely) event that you win.
:lol: :lol:
Beechwood

Post by Beechwood »

My guess is that the Letwin Amendment will pass and the government will cancel today’s vote.
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

I forecast- 321 for. :D
All things are possible
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Beechwood wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:45 pm My guess is that the Letwin Amendment will pass and the government will cancel today’s vote.
Well you were spot on, however, the vote has now been delayed until some point in the future. So shall we have a vote on whether you can be forum champ for the day when there wasn't actually a vote? Does anybody have any amendments they would like to make?
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

So, what do we make of the "meaningful vote" referred to by Rees-Mogg after almost all of the conservative side left the chamber this afternoon?
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

PhotoLady wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:18 pm So, what do we make of the "meaningful vote" referred to by Rees-Mogg after almost all of the conservative side left the chamber this afternoon?
No idea what you are talking about I'm afraid.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

I think Boris and some of his cohorts are being very childish in how they are dealing with all this. Sending a letter without a signature then sending another letter... not very statesmanlike. A PM is an elected representative of his/her party and as such, has to take advice from within the cabinet. He seems to only listen to Dominic Cummings, as despicable a character as you could imagine.

I think most of us expect a deal to be done, but the vote yesterday was principally backed because nobody can trust Boris and his party to do what they say. Even one of his own MPs said the plan was to agree a deal, go through the transition then crash out with no deal. He also made sure he removed from the deal, any safeguards. That’s what parliament now wants written into law and I say, well done for protecting us from a charlatan.
Last edited by Jimgward on Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

Dominic wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:23 pm
PhotoLady wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:18 pm So, what do we make of the "meaningful vote" referred to by Rees-Mogg after almost all of the conservative side left the chamber this afternoon?
No idea what you are talking about I'm afraid.
Les put a link up as nobody had got hold of any text about it yesterday except for the odd quote on Twitter. But as the house had almost emptied on one side, Rees-Mogg stood up and made quite a bold statement that left those still sat on the benches a bit dumfounded....
Here's the gist, if you didn't see the link yet:

So what next?
By the landslide standards of previous Brexit votes, this was a narrow defeat for the government.
And they may calculate that they can reel in a few more ex-Tory rebels add a few Labour MPs from Leave seats, and muster a modest majority for Boris Johnson's Brexit deal, in a further vote next week, even without the support of the Northern Ireland DUP.
In an ill-tempered series of points of order after today's votes, Jacob Rees-Mogg indicated that the government would now seek to hold a further "meaningful vote" to win Commons approval for the deal, paving the way for a Withdrawal Agreement Bill to put it into law.
Ah, argued a number of opposition MPs, wouldn't that amount to putting the same issue to the vote twice?
Remember that the Speaker prevented the government from staging a third vote on Theresa May's deal, on the principle that it was out of order for ministers to keep asking the same question again and again, until they got the answer they wanted.
The Speaker, John Bercow, did not give a definitive ruling, saying that he would ponder the matter and take advice.
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
Beechwood

Post by Beechwood »

Dominic wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:49 pm
Beechwood wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:45 pm My guess is that the Letwin Amendment will pass and the government will cancel today’s vote.
Well you were spot on, however, the vote has now been delayed until some point in the future. So shall we have a vote on whether you can be forum champ for the day when there wasn't actually a vote? Does anybody have any amendments they would like to make?
So was/am I forum champ for the day? 😀
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Yes. It's a shame you weren't here to see. We put out bunting and everything.
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Beechwood wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:03 pm
Dominic wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:49 pm
So was/am I forum champ for the day? 😀
Aww you missed the parade in your honour!! :mrgreen: