EU and UK agree deal.

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
The Aquila

Re: EU and UK agree deal.

Post by The Aquila »

...but ONLY if MP’s vote it through?
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Will do. :)
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Already, deals being done - DUP being offered control over abortion laws, to swing them back - and a shitload of money!

It is being seen by many as a deal worse than the May deal....

I think it will be voted down and then a vote of no confidence.... after that, who knows... possible general election in new year, possible other deal and then second referendum, I wouldn’t bet on any. I think only certainty is rejection of deal, extension of article 50 then who knows...

This is the latest polling summaries;
3AB4FBF0-4EEC-4027-9D16-2283D97010CC.png
3AB4FBF0-4EEC-4027-9D16-2283D97010CC.png (114.26 KiB) Viewed 5872 times
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

This is a summary of all polls since pre-Brexit referendum
WHL

Post by WHL »

Some of us have lost the will to live,,,, :?
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

E99481F2-DE51-4FD7-8686-7B3CFBBB449D.jpeg
E99481F2-DE51-4FD7-8686-7B3CFBBB449D.jpeg (91.8 KiB) Viewed 5862 times
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Reading the latest reports all the opposition parties are saying they will vote against it, unsurprisingly. I can't comment on what has been agreed because I haven't seen it, can those who have please post a link?
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

After a very quick scan, it looks to me like most of the deal is about the change from the backstop to the new arrangement. Everything else in May’s deal seems to be the same. I.e. we will follow EU law on most product, goods and services. Still in common fisheries.
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Sterling is doing better, nice to see it hasn't reached parity with the €. The ext few days are going to be interesting.....
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Jimgward wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:32 pm After a very quick scan, it looks to me like most of the deal is about the change from the backstop to the new arrangement. Everything else in May’s deal seems to be the same. I.e. we will follow EU law on most product, goods and services. Still in common fisheries.
Thank you for the link. From what I am reading in the newspapers Britain will leave the CAP and Common Fisheries and regain control over fishing rights.
emgee

Post by emgee »

Turkeys don't vote for Christmas. If there is a no deal and subsequently a General election, how many remain MP's or those that have joined other parties are going to be re-elected or even re-selected by their local constituency parties?

Why throw away a VERY nice little earner of being an MP with all it's priviledges?

Alan
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

In the illegal event of a no-deal, I would think the country would massively support remain MPs.

Question Time last night was very interesting. If the speakers’ analysis was true, this deal is much worse than May’s deal, as no protection of rights is included. Labour and the SNP and Libdems will oppose it. (Apart from 2 or 3 dissenters). If the DUP oppose it, it has zero chance. If they support it, Johnson also needs all his rebel MPs - it’s going to be very close....

Interestingly, they spoke of a 2-year transition, then 4 years before NI can decide if the deal suits them.... a long, long time for the DUP
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Parties opposing the deal will face the wrath of the electorate in the next GE, who by and large, if they can agree on nothing else, will at least agree on being sick to the back teeth of the whole thing.

And no-deal isn't illegal. If the EU refuse to grant an extension (and who could blame them for that) it is out of the UK's hands.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

emgee wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:07 am Turkeys don't vote for Christmas. If there is a no deal and subsequently a General election, how many remain MP's or those that have joined other parties are going to be re-elected or even re-selected by their local constituency parties?

Why throw away a VERY nice little earner of being an MP with all it's priviledges?

Alan
It's not that much of an earner when you compare it to heads of borough councils etc.
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Jimgward wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:03 am In the illegal event of a no-deal, I would think the country would massively support remain MPs.

Question Time last night was very interesting. If the speakers’ analysis was true, this deal is much worse than May’s deal, as no protection of rights is included. Labour and the SNP and Libdems will oppose it. (Apart from 2 or 3 dissenters). If the DUP oppose it, it has zero chance. If they support it, Johnson also needs all his rebel MPs - it’s going to be very close....

Interestingly, they spoke of a 2-year transition, then 4 years before NI can decide if the deal suits them.... a long, long time for the DUP
Why would no deal be an illegal event? Juncker has said no more extensions so it's deal or no deal. Jeremy Corbyn went on record to say that he opposed the new deal, interestingly before he even knew what was in it. Amazing! There is talk of their being around 20 Labour MP's supporting the deal, so it will be close.

"Boris Johnson will launch a major charm offensive to woo Labour leavers today, as the party appeared to be in disarray over its position on the Brexit deal.

The Government are looking to garner the support of 19 Labour MPs, led by Caroline Flint, who wrote to Donald Tusk and Jean-Claude Juncker earlier this month suggesting they would back a deal if it was reached

Between 10 and 15 Labour MPs are already prepared to back the deal to avoid a no-deal scenario, ahead of tomorrow's crunch vote in Parliament.

However, Jim Fitzpatrick, MP for Poplar and Limehouse, said he thought the number could be more like 20.

He said: "Only five of us voted for prime minister May's deal on March 29 and several have subsequently said they wished they had joined us and voted for it.

"So those five, if they hold the same view once they get a chance to see prime minister Johnson's deal, and if several others come forward then there could be between 10 and 20 Labour MPs who might vote for the deal."

While, Labour MP Ronnie Campbell, who did not sign the letter, told the BBC's Newsnight he was also minded to defy his party and back the deal."
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Jimgym wrote: Why would no deal be an illegal event? Juncker has said no more extensions so it's deal or no deal.
Because the Benn Act of parliament makes a no-deal against the law - ergo illegal.

"A law that would stop the UK crashing out of the EU without a deal has been given Royal Assent. House of Lords Speaker Lord Fowler confirmed a bill aimed at blocking a ‘no-deal’ Brexit on 31 October has become law after the Queen gave final approval to the legislation. The step, known as Royal Assent, effectively rubber-stamps the law that was passed through parliament last week by an alliance of cross-party MPs. Known as the Benn-Bill, it would extend the Brexit deadline until 31 January 2020 if no deal is agreed with the EU by 19 October. This means it would be illegal for the UK to leave the European Union without a Brexit deal."

Read more: https://metro.co.uk/2019/09/09/no-deal- ... to=cbshare

Twitter: https://twitter.com/MetroUK | Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MetroUK/

I agree totally that Labout is in disarray and Corbyn is a fool, unable to make up the parties mind one way or another. They are unelectable.

The deal isn't the same as May's deal - leaving aside the NI question. It is a dissolution of May's deal and leaves many areas open to question and able to be dropped - such as worker's rights.

Does anyone truly believe that a cabinet of Priti Patel, Dominic Raab, Boris Johnson and more, would improve workers rights?

I suspect Labour will try to force a no-confidence vote anyway ...
Varky

Post by Varky »

Dominic wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:04 pm
emgee wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:07 am Turkeys don't vote for Christmas. If there is a no deal and subsequently a General election, how many remain MP's or those that have joined other parties are going to be re-elected or even re-selected by their local constituency parties?
Alan
It's not that much of an earner when you compare it to heads of borough councils etc.
Don't cloud the issue. Don't forget the family members acting as secretaries, advisers etc. It's not just the MP's salary in question.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Not all MPs employ family members and many MPs have given up . much more lucrative posts to become an MP - Joanna Cheery was a QC, there are many ex-GPs, ex-Consultants and so on....

You don't go into politics to make money if you're already successful.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Varky wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:59 pm
Dominic wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:04 pm
Alan
Don't cloud the issue. Don't forget the family members acting as secretaries, advisers etc. It's not just the MP's salary in question.
THe same applies to heads of borough councils. I am getting very tired of your constant sniping by the way. This is your final warning.