Sacre Bleu - Scallops at Dawn

Got something to share that isn't strictly related to Cyprus? Post it here.
ApusApus

Sacre Bleu - Scallops at Dawn

Post by ApusApus »

French & British fishing boats in argy-bargy over scallop fishing rights off Normandy https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-45342536 :o

Shane
Dominic
Site Admin

Re: Sacre Bleu - Scallops at Dawn

Post by Dominic »

I read that article. Have to say I support the French stance. The British shouldn't be allowed to fish there all year round. It is bad for stock levels.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

But they are allowed... So they are not breaking any rules. So you feel it is ok for the French boats to Ram the English ones ??
Trev..
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

As I understand it, the French can fish our waters where the British cannot, so tit for tat, except that the French want the best of both worlds ! I bet the EU would be up in arms if the Brits had started ramming a French boat.

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Firefly wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:56 pm As I understand it, the French can fish our waters where the British cannot
Do you have an example of that?
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

trevnhil wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:45 pm But they are allowed... So they are not breaking any rules. So you feel it is ok for the French boats to Ram the English ones ??
I wouldn't say it is ok to ram another boat, no. But I also wouldn't say it is ok to fish a species to extinction. The French have a perfectly sound reason for not fishing in a period, to give a species a chance to bring it's stock levels back up.

If the situations were reversed I would feel the same. My issue isn't with nationality, it is with stock levels.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Dominic

No sorry, just something I heard on the news. That said, I understand that Britain has agreed to stop scallop fishing in French waters, if true, the EU bullies win again.

I don't suppose they care about our fish stocks, we have banned some methods of fishing that harm dolphins and other sea life, other countries still use those methods.

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

EU bullies? Really? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

Firefly wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:04 pm No sorry, just something I heard on the news. That said, I understand that Britain has agreed to stop scallop fishing in French waters, if true, the EU bullies win again.
I don't suppose they care about our fish stocks, we have banned some methods of fishing that harm dolphins and other sea life, other countries still use those methods. Jackie
The French government will not allow their fisherman to start scallop fishing until the 1st of October, this is to allow the baby/young scallops to develop properly.
The British government had not put these restrictions on their fisherman so they were going out not just fishing but dragging/trawling the sea bed and killing anything and everything.
Where Europe is concerned you certainly do have selective hearing, it is the Brits who are out of order.
David
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

If it's legal, how is that out of order ? It may be unfair yes, but still legal.
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

Its out of order that the British fisherman were raking in as many scallops as they could before the French were allowed to. It was out of order that the British authorities didnt apply the restrictions for whatever reason this year.
Next year British shell fisherman will up the creek without a paddle, will you show concern for them then?
David
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

I have concerns for their safety at the hands of the French. It's just lucky that no-one suffered injury, or even death after seeing the attack, and who will pay for the damage to the fishing boat, the French ?

Jackie
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

Firefly wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:19 pm I have concerns for their safety at the hands of the French. It's just lucky that no-one suffered injury, or even death after seeing the attack, and who will pay for the damage to the fishing boat, the French ? Jackie
Next year British shell fisherman will be up the creek without a paddle, will you show concern for them then?
I didn't think so
David
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Your assumption is debatable, we shall see, and only then will I have any concerns.

Do you have concerns over their safety, or who picks up the bill ? I didn't think so.
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

Firefly wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:17 pm Your assumption is debatable, we shall see, and only then will I have any concerns.

Do you have concerns over their safety, or who picks up the bill ? I didn't think so.
Jackie, try not to turn it around, of course I am concerned for their safety, but probably more than they were, the British fisherman must have known that there might be some retaliation, and there was.
And yes lets wait until this time next year to see if the British shellfish fisherman's jobs have been affected by, dare I say it Brexit.
David
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Of course you dare say it, it's your opinion, just as I have mine.

There is never any excuse for the behaviour we saw from the French fishermen, had it been football hooligans, everyone would have been up in arms. Sadly it seems some condone their behaviour, even some British.

Jackie