Italy bans cruise liners from Venice

Got something to share that isn't strictly related to Cyprus? Post it here.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Italy bans cruise liners from Venice

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Excellent decision in my opinion...

https://cyprus-mail.com/2021/07/13/ital ... esitation/

Max
galexinda

Re: Italy bans cruise liners from Venice

Post by galexinda »

I agree - surely cruise ships can anchor off and use tenders to transfer passengers to shore.

''Stories have been swirling for several years about the possibility of cruise ships being banned from the historic center of Venice. ... They also say that the presence of ships in the lagoon is negatively changing the ecosystem, and damaging the notoriously fragile city with the movement of water they cause''. 5 June 2021

https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/ ... index.html
WHL

Post by WHL »

galexinda wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 2:49 pm I agree - surely cruise ships can anchor off and use tenders to transfer passengers to shore.

''Stories have been swirling for several years about the possibility of cruise ships being banned from the historic center of Venice. ... They also say that the presence of ships in the lagoon is negatively changing the ecosystem, and damaging the notoriously fragile city with the movement of water they cause''. 5 June 2021

Not possible to anchor off, have you seen the size of these monster ships, to give people some idea, The Symphony of the Seas is the world's largest passenger cruise ship. Measuring 362m (1,188ft) long, the ship has a capacity of nearly 9,000 passengers and crew, features 23 swimming pools and 18 decks. I have been on cruises to Venice, and at busy times , there are double numbers there, trying to unload thousands of passengers to the shore and back, with tenders would be a nightmare and very dangerous.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

WHL wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:05 pm
galexinda wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 2:49 pm I agree - surely cruise ships can anchor off and use tenders to transfer passengers to shore.

Not possible to anchor off, have you seen the size of these monster ships, to give people some idea, The Symphony of the Seas is the world's largest passenger cruise ship. Measuring 362m (1,188ft) long, the ship has a capacity of nearly 9,000 passengers and crew, features 23 swimming pools and 18 decks. I have been on cruises to Venice, and at busy times , there are double numbers there, trying to unload thousands of passengers to the shore and back, with tenders would be a nightmare and very dangerous.

Yes, similar like that pic shows the size of them...

Max
WHL

Post by WHL »

cyprusmax47 wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:26 pm

Max
Max I think this photo is a fake, because the liners are moored up in the port, which is some distance to where this photo has been taken.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

WHL wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:52 pm
cyprusmax47 wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:26 pm

Max
Max I think this photo is a fake, because the liners are moored up in the port, which is some distance to where this photo has been taken.
I don't think that photo is fake. It is showing the monster on the Giudecca Canal , just starting from the cruise terminal Basilio Peer, 800 m away, to show passengers Santa Maria della Salute church and the Doge's Palace at San Marco.
I love Venice and visited at least 30 times as I lived in the past 4 years not too far away near Lake Garda. I always used to stay at Cavallino Island overnight, enjoying dinner at a fish restaurant there which was unbelievable delicious, but you had to pay for (2 people no less than 200 Euro)...

Perhaps you prefer another pic from a smaller cruise ship at a similar location at San Marco.

Max
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

The picture is a fake. This is an interesting thread about it, showing where the picture originated from:

https://skeptics.stackexchange.com/ques ... photo-real

Still a bloody big ship though!
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
jagwheels

Post by jagwheels »

Way to travel to Venice is the Simplon Orient Express

Celebrating our 50th with a glass of Bellini
P1010003.JPG
P1010003.JPG (186.6 KiB) Viewed 3718 times
Attachments
P1010003A.JPG
P1010003A.JPG (190.8 KiB) Viewed 3718 times