Snow chaos in the Alps .... (update)

Got something to share that isn't strictly related to Cyprus? Post it here.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Snow chaos in the Alps .... (update)

Post by cyprusmax47 »

I already posted a video 2 days ago about the Snow chaos in the Alps. In the meantime another 1 meter of fresh snow covers the already huge amounts of snow and in most of the Alps we have the highest warning level "5". Thousands of tourists are stranded, often without electricity and food in their accommodations. Weather warnings forecast another 1 meter tomorrow and Friday. Most of the schools are closed until next week. Hundreds of houses had to be abandoned because their roofs are not any more safe and can collapse any moment.

Here some snips from todays German TV News..

On this roof two men cutting the 2 m thick snow cover into pieces to slide them down...

this one is ready to go...

and is going.... very dangerous for the guy though

another Hotel but the same job...

this place is already abandoned

this is the "new entrance" of this place where the guests were evacuated through..

I can assure everyone that a situation like that is very scary and life-threatening. I remember the time when I returned from St.Moritz towards Bavaria in similar conditions where the only escape route was through one mountain pass where the snow left and right was 4 meters high. Starting in the afternoon I needed the whole night and the next morning to arrive back in Germany. For hours I was the only one on the roads and that in the night, it was not nice at all and it was in the 70' without mobile phone of course. But I was glad in the end that I made it as the next day all roads leading out of St.Moritz were closed for 8 days after several snow avalanches blocked all valleys.

Max
Dominic
Site Admin

Re: Snow chaos in the Alps .... (update)

Post by Dominic »

Blimey. That's a lot of snow.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Dominic wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:33 pm Blimey. That's a lot of snow.
My photo snips can be seen now on YouTube, which I discovered this morning.... watch it Dominic, specially from minute 2 on the video, as before is a lot of German talking but also interesting...

Max
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

In parts of Bavaria and Austria is now declared state of emergency which means p.e. that the Army is allowed to help removing the snow from roofs and transporting food and equipment where normal caterpillar vehicles cannot pass through....

Even in the News of BFBS Cyprus the snow chaos in Germany/Austria was mentioned this morning....!!

(@ Dominic: did you see the huge two-man saw in photo 2 and 3 which they used to cut the snow into large lumps...? :?: ) clever !

Max
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

In the meantime it was raining daytime in the Alps which made the situation even worse as the snow load on the roofs increased a lot.
One Avalanche hit a Bavarian Hotel and the snow came through the window front into the wellness area, luckily nobody hurt...

Several people were falling from roofs when they tried to clean them from the snow and heavy injured, one died on the way to the hospital... and now the rain changed into heavy snowfall again and another meter snow is expected tonight.

Max