Chindits

Got something to share that isn't strictly related to Cyprus? Post it here.
STELIOSBWFC

Chindits

Post by STELIOSBWFC »

Who or what was a Chindit. I'm very proud to say my Grandad was a Chindit. The bomb within. If Domonic will let this thread go ahead I will share the stories shared by my Grandad in later life with me. Manchester and Lancashire Regiment picked the bad boys of Salford and Manchester to go and do this.
STELIOSBWFC

Re: Chindits

Post by STELIOSBWFC »

Chindits Goal 2 men one mule was to get in the middle of Japs and fight them with in. Harry Gray he was called a proud man and a man that stayed on for the partition of India.
Aargent

Post by Aargent »

I have no doubt he was one of these - Brave men

www.chindits.info/
Alastair

Nil illigitimi carborundum
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

I am more than happy to let this thread go ahead. Once it has picked up steam, I will move it to the "Beyond Cyprus" section, but it certainly won't get deleted.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

I was thinking there was another appropriate area for it.. But it certainly is worthy of reading
Trev..
STELIOSBWFC

Post by STELIOSBWFC »

Dominic wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:04 am I am more than happy to let this thread go ahead. Once it has picked up steam, I will move it to the "Beyond Cyprus" section, but it certainly won't get deleted.
Thanks Dominic. Some of the stories are a bit gruesome that is why I asked about the thread. I will post the best bits over the coming week.
STELIOSBWFC

Post by STELIOSBWFC »

One story he told us was when he was demobbed. He walked from Chorley in Lancashire to Salford and it was the early hours. He stopped in Pendleton at a pub to put his sore feet in a water trough. A Policeman turned up and said to him well son what is going on, he explained and the Policeman knocked the landlord up and said get this soldier a beer. When he arrived home in the morning no one had heard off him for 12 months. He said he walked in and his Dad was sat at the table with his back to him and he said hi Dad do you have a breakfast for an old soldier. Still makes me cry when I think about it. The whole street put together what they had in the pantry to make him a big fry up.
STELIOSBWFC

Post by STELIOSBWFC »

PaphosAL

Post by PaphosAL »

A touching and emotional tale of your Grandad's return home to Salford, Stelios... You'd have thought that after WW2 demob, the Army would have issued Travel Warrants to take the soldiers ALL the way home, wouldn't you?

I found your youtube link to Pathé News 'Forgotten Army' fascinating to watch, thanks! Particularly the "Saving Burma" commentary at the end. Isn't it strange that Burma expressed her thanks by becoming a closed-off country to the rest of the world, afterwards?

Cheers- AL :?
Gone but not forgotten...
STELIOSBWFC

Post by STELIOSBWFC »

:lol: :lol:
PaphosAL wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:03 pm A touching and emotional tale of your Grandad's return home to Salford, Stelios... You'd have thought that after WW2 demob, the Army would have issued Travel Warrants to take the soldiers ALL the way home, wouldn't you?

I found your youtube link to Pathé News 'Forgotten Army' fascinating to watch, thanks! Particularly the "Saving Burma" commentary at the end. Isn't it strange that Burma expressed her thanks by becoming a closed-off country to the rest of the world, afterwards?

Cheers- AL :?
Buses or trains never run in the early hours in the 40's. Think he may of stayed in Chorley for a few and walked home.
STELIOSBWFC

Post by STELIOSBWFC »

A bit harsh this story, but remember these men are harden soldiers. My Grandad was in India after the war for a bit and they used to catch a train to a lake to swim and have girls food and a rest. He told me that once on the train a guy came selling real Indian gold rings to which all the lads bought. They had a break for a week and after swimming and all there fingers turned green. " it was copper". On the way back on the train they bumped in to the same guy and threw him out of the window. Remember these guy's where in the jungle and seen mates crucified upside down with there private parts chopped off and stuffed in there mouths. One thing my Grandad taught me is never to fear anything and to respect all.
PaphosAL

Post by PaphosAL »

But that is India, later, m8. Let's get back to the Burmese jungle prior, with all sorts of allies scaring the shits out of the occupying Jap forces in that country.

Never knew that Chinese forces were fighting alongside us in this particular WW2 conflict, TBH...

Maybe that's how the UK love of Chinese take-aways grew from, when our squaddies were demobbed and went home after WW2? (Not to mention Indian food thereafter...)

Cheers- AL :)
Gone but not forgotten...
STELIOSBWFC

Post by STELIOSBWFC »

On rest from the jungle it was burial duty Japs and our own. One story he told me was bad. He was with his mate from Oldham they had dug a hole and the Jap would not fit. The guy from Oldham smashed his head in with the shovel, my Grandad said he was covered in blood. The guy from Oldham said he does now. It affected his whole life that war. But he was just the best person in the whole wide world to have in your corner. He took care of his kids and all of us around him. When he was in his 80'S he looked after my kids while me and Mrs was at work. We came home one day and they was covered in grass and mud, are you all OK yeah Grandad has taught us wrestling and rugby. Pissed my pants
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

This is now in Beyond Cyprus, as it has had over 300 views now so people know it is here.

Please continue your Grandfather's tales. :)
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
STELIOSBWFC

Post by STELIOSBWFC »

Just watching catch up on BBC about the partition of India and it is very good.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

My Uncle Charlie was in the retreat right across Burma to Imphal on the Indian border and then fought all the way back to Rangoon with the Liverpool Scottish Regiment. He was away for nearly six years (according to my dad); he was a slight and inoffensive man but as hard as nails.
Jim