A new gin palace.

Got something to share that isn't strictly related to Cyprus? Post it here.
PhotoLady

Re: A new gin palace.

Post by PhotoLady »

Thanks for that :-)

I did a bit of a Google earlier and some people recommend neat or with just one cube of ice, and others indicate lemonade as opposed to tonic....

So, I shall dig the bottle out again through the week and decide on my preference ;-)

We were in Sainsburys earlier today so I also managed to grab a bottle of the Fentimans Rose Lemonade as well.... Looks like I'm in for a few gin events!
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
surreyboy

Post by surreyboy »

[/quote]
Quite near, Oatlands Drive or were you asking where I sourced the berries? ;){/quote]

No,not the berries Aphrodite, where you lived. Probably long before your time I used to live opposite the cricket ground. Friends of mine used to live at the bottom of Oatlands Drive. Small world!
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Jules

Looks like a posh Yates' Wine Lodge :D :D Only went in one once, never again !

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

The Yates' I recall certainly didn't have nice tiles and thick carpet on the floor! You must have gone to a very posh one ;-)

I went to one near Piccadilly Gardens in Manchester (late 70s to early 80s) once and never went in it again either! But we've been a couple of times to the one on the seafront in Blackpool when we came over for our "winter weeks" since 2013.

This bar is one of the Hogarth's chain of Gin palaces and from what I've seen of their website, the layout of the bar seems to be the same in them all. They only reach as far south as Swansea at the moment.

The only drawback as far as I'm concerned is the fact they have Sky TV (Sport) everywhere you look but on the day we visited, the volume wasn't up on any of the channels.

We always seem to meet some unusual people when we go out and about - maybe we have that look about us ;-) On this day, we met the owners of a "knitting hotel" which is situated up past the north pier and beyond the Imperial Hotel just off the seafront. Apparently, there is no signage outside to indicate it's a hotel, it gets along on reputation only and is always full....

I haven't got around to looking it up yet - so that was my reminder to myself to do it!

Edit: I just searched on the internet and found an article where it was covered by the BBC last October: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-la ... e-37636065
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Jules

No Yates' didn't, that's why I said 'posh'. ;)

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

Definitely "posh" in comparison even to the Yates' now.... this Hogarth's has a very nice crystal chandelier near the bar area but I didn't get a photo of that. It was quiet when we were there so would like to go back another time to see what the atmosphere is like.

Too many bars though in Blackpool to keep doing repeat visits - we shall just have to try them all :-D
DavidatLWH

Post by DavidatLWH »

Yates Wine Lodge - now there's a blast from the past. From what I recall in my youth in Birmingham, there were no seats, just bars to stand up and get sloshed. Spit & sawdust places, from memory.