15 Mackem insults and what they mean

Got something to share that isn't strictly related to Cyprus? Post it here.
Paul

15 Mackem insults and what they mean

Post by Paul »

Yes we come from Sunderland but do not call us a Mackem!!

1. Eurgh, that's minging
Minging typically means disgusting or gross, and can refer to anything from food that's gone off to a person's physical appearance. It's used around the country but especially here in Sunderland.

2. What a spenk
Spenk is our city's own version of a dork, geek, or dweeb

3. Look at the state of that clip
A clip refers to someone whose dress sense, personal style or grooming is not all it ought to be.

4. "Stop giving me that hackey look!"
A hackey look means 'giving the evils'. It can be a scowl, a stare, the raising of an eyebrow. There are also parts of the North East where hackey can mean literally dirty; i.e. "Look at us man, I'm all hackey".

5. Look at that sackless nacker
Sackless is another way of saying gormless. It describes someone who's not up the task - no matter what the task may be!

6. Hadaway and ... well, you know ...
'Hadaway' basically means the same as 'get away' - an expression of disbelief. It's meant a little more harshly though, especially when combined with a followup suggestion we won't be using here on a family website.

7. Watch out, here comes the meff brigade
An unattractive and possibly unclean and unhygienic person - a meff is the minger's minger.

8. That's rank, that is
Rank is the even worse version of minging. Milk that's gone slightly off might be minging, but milk that has curdled is rank.

9. She's gannin' out with a right charver
Charvers to us are what chavs are to much of the rest of the country - except with less Burberry and more trackies tucked inside socks. Young and lairy, they're the stereotypical hoodies - though often without the hoods.

10. You're packing a lot of clem
Clem is the unkind way of referring to a unit of weight - specifically a stone, and the weight of someone's body. Someone who weighs 20st might be referred to as weighing 20 clem.

11. I've just been to the gym, I'm liftin'
Someone who returns from the gym might indeed be liftin' - but not with weights. This variety of liftin' refers to a strong body odour.

12. Stay out of his way, he's proper radgey
A radgey is a very angry person - though it can also be the act of exploding with rage, which is referred to as throwing or chucking a radgey. A person in an extremely bad mood might be referred to as 'proper radgey'.

13. No one wants that neckender for their team
A neckender is another way of calling someone a loser, and similar to the word nacker, which means the same thing.

14. That's shan that, like
Something that is described as proper shan is twisted, unfair, unjust or generally wrong. If 'shan' were a legal judgement, the case would be thrown out of court.

15. Now you've gone too far
And the worst insult you could ever call a Mackem is... Geordie. Need we say more.