Tougher penalties planned for driving offences

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Paphos Life

Tougher penalties planned for driving offences

Post by Paphos Life »

Acting on a study prepared in 2016, the government is poised to approve legislation introducing stricter penalties for traffic offences, which could include on-the-spot suspension of driver’s licences in a bid to curb road violations that often lead to serious accidents, Justice Minister Ionas Nicolaou said on Monday.

Read the article and chat about it below...
WHL

Re: Tougher penalties planned for driving offences

Post by WHL »

Good News
Varky

Post by Varky »

Whilst I applaud the idea, it will have no affect if the police are not catching the offenders or letting them go.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Varky wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:49 pm Whilst I applaud the idea, it will have no affect if the police are not catching the offenders or letting them go.
Didnt they catch and book, hundreds of motorists , a few months ago whilst having a clampdown.. that dosnt show the police letting people go?.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

I agree WHL. The recent cases that made it to the press all involved actual fines being issued AND paid. Hopefully, the tide is turning.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

I wonder what they do now if you are caught drunk driving... Do you get a fine and are then sent on your way ??
Trev..
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

trevnhil wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:09 pm I wonder what they do now if you are caught drunk driving... Do you get a fine and are then sent on your way ??
;)

Shane
Varky

Post by Varky »

WHL wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:28 pm
Varky wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:49 pm Whilst I applaud the idea, it will have no affect if the police are not catching the offenders or letting them go.
Didnt they catch and book, hundreds of motorists , a few months ago whilst having a clampdown.. that dosnt show the police letting people go?.
Don't you get it? Catching offenders should not be a matter of a clampdown, it should be a regular thing. Clampdowns by there very nature are a temporary thing, so potential offenders will keep their heads down for a limited period and thereafter go back to their 'normal' behaviour.
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

There are 2 school's of thought on this! Any clampdown, be it time limited, is better than no clampdown at all ............. on the other hand, surely the police should be "policing" 100% of the time!

I know which I favour! ;)

Shane
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

There are regular reports in the press of people getting nicked for driving offences. Not just in clampdowns. Nobody is saying it is perfect, but I do think attempts to improve should be lauded.
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

As I said, 2 school's of thought! ;)

Shane
Varky

Post by Varky »

Varky wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:27 pm
Don't you get it? Catching offenders should not be a matter of a clampdown, it should be a regular thing. Clampdowns by their very nature are a temporary thing, so potential offenders will keep their heads down for a limited period and thereafter go back to their 'normal' behaviour.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Did you mean to just quote yourself?
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

I did say "2"!

Shane
WHL

Post by WHL »

Varky wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:27 pm
Don't you get it? Catching offenders should not be a matter of a clampdown, it should be a regular thing. Clampdowns by there very nature are a temporary thing, so potential offenders will keep their heads down for a limited period and thereafter go back to their 'normal' behaviour.
What you dont get is the police have limited personal etc etc... their best bet is to concentrate their man power on targeting law breaking..it seems to me they cant win...people will moan what ever they do. :roll:
WHL

Post by WHL »

trevnhil wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:09 pm I wonder what they do now if you are caught drunk driving... Do you get a fine and are then sent on your way ??
I think you will find if someone fails the breath test , they are taken to the police station to be charged they are not allowed to go on their way.
PaphosAL

Post by PaphosAL »

Problem with Paphos fuzz is that they're all related somehow to the Cyps they pull over. In the old days, they used to draft in armies of cops from Limassol and Nicosia to properly police crackdowns in Paphos every so often.

I wonder if this tactic is still done? :?
Gone but not forgotten...
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

What makes you think it is only the local Cypriots that are at fault? I've lost count of the amount of tanked-up expats I've seen leaving bars and heading to their cars.

I remember being told by a guy living in France that the best way to avoid a ticked there was to visit the local police station and buy the newspaper they sold there. Proceeds went to the Police Pension Fund or something. Anyway, you bought that, and left it on your passenger seat. You could park anywhere then.
Varky

Post by Varky »

WHL wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:35 pm
What you dont get is the police have limited personal etc etc... their best bet is to concentrate their man power on targeting law breaking..it seems to me they cant win...people will moan what ever they do. :roll:
Aw come on! Stop making excuses. Read PaphosAl's comment 8.43pm.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Varky wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:38 pm
WHL wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:35 pm
Aw come on! Stop making excuses. Read PaphosAl's comment 8.43pm.
Not making any excuses what so ever, these clamp downs have resulted in hundreds getting caught and booked, sorry I dont buy the typical expat view that all the police are bent/related etc etc, just lazy expat speak ......as said in previous posts ..how many expats have a skinful and then drive home?
Last edited by WHL on Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.