Municipality bans staging of play with gay storyline

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Paphos Life

Municipality bans staging of play with gay storyline

Post by Paphos Life »

The municipal council of Sotira in the Famagusta district on Tuesday announced they would not allow the staging on Wednesday by the state theatre organisation Thoc of a play on the story of a gay couple....

Read the article and chat about it below...
exodus

Re: Municipality bans staging of play with gay storyline

Post by exodus »

Isn't such action illegal under EU laws?
Amos.
Galini

Post by Galini »

exodus wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:52 am Isn't such action illegal under EU laws?
Amos.
The EU does not recognise the Occupied area so surely they would not be subject to any EU laws or regulations?
WHL

Post by WHL »

I dont give a monkeys what anyone gets up to in their bedrooms, what I am sick to death with is having a Pro gay agenda, at every turn....every tv show etc etc has to promote it, back in the UK, young school kids are being told in lessons to question their sexuality ?what has been overlooked in this rush to make everyone accept the pro gay machine, there are a large number of people who do not agree with same sex marriage etc, be it by their religious views etc do they not have a right to their views... now sit back and await the your a bigot comments,
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

I am from the OLD School. As long as people of a different way-Gay's,Transvestites etc keep to them selfs and not try to share with everyone else then I am OK with it. However what with the nanny states PROMOTING it all it just makes me mad.
All things are possible
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

But how is a play about gay people forcing it down people's throats, any more than a play about straight people?

And yes, WHL, you ARE a bigot! You love calling people names like that. Have it back!
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Your opinion Dominic, .It seems you can only talk about gay issues if your pro Gay, if you disagree with gay marriage etc your a bigot, Dominic you call someone a Bigot for not agreeing with your views..really :roll:
WHL

Post by WHL »

Dominic wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:52 am But how is a play about gay people forcing it down people's throats, any more than a play about straight people?

And yes, WHL, you ARE a bigot! You love calling people names like that. Have it back!
If you read my post, it wasnt just about the play..
Paulo

Post by Paulo »

WHL wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:09 am I dont give a monkeys what anyone gets up to in their bedrooms, what I am sick to death with is having a Pro gay agenda, at every turn....every tv show etc etc has to promote it, back in the UK, young school kids are being told in lessons to question their sexuality ?what has been overlooked in this rush to make everyone accept the pro gay machine, there are a large number of people who do not agree with same sex marriage etc, be it by their religious views etc do they not have a right to their views... now sit back and await the your a bigot comments,
I think you'll find that people who are against same sex marriage are in the minority, you can't get a more sexually conservative country than Ireland and when they allowed the public to vote on this in a referendum they overwhelmingly voted to allow it.
I do agree that there seems to be a large number of liberalists in the UK media who seem to be pushing the positive discrimination agenda of over promoting minorities and I also disagree with the way school kids are now encouraged to question their sexuality at every turn, but what does this have to do with allowing a play to be effectively banned because it has a gay storyline?
I think it's a dangerous game to start censoring stage productions, if people feel strongly enough that they don't want to see this play then they won't buy tickets. That's how a fair and equal society should work.
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

I’m sick of the heterosexual agenda being forced down my throat. It’s everywhere you look. They’re on tv in magazines etc. It’s outrageous! 😃
memory man

Post by memory man »

Jimgym wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:42 am I’m sick of the heterosexual agenda being forced down my throat. It’s everywhere you look. They’re on tv in magazines etc. It’s outrageous! 😃

👍👍
WHL

Post by WHL »

Paulo wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:39 am
WHL wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:09 am I dont give a monkeys what anyone gets up to in their bedrooms, what I am sick to death with is having a Pro gay agenda, at every turn....every tv show etc etc has to promote it, back in the UK, young school kids are being told in lessons to question their sexuality ?what has been overlooked in this rush to make everyone accept the pro gay machine, there are a large number of people who do not agree with same sex marriage etc, be it by their religious views etc do they not have a right to their views... now sit back and await the your a bigot comments,
I think you'll find that people who are against same sex marriage are in the minority, you can't get a more sexually conservative country than Ireland and when they allowed the public to vote on this in a referendum they overwhelmingly voted to allow it.
I do agree that there seems to be a large number of liberalists in the UK media who seem to be pushing the positive discrimination agenda of over promoting minorities and I also disagree with the way school kids are now encouraged to question their sexuality at every turn, but what does this have to do with allowing a play to be effectively banned because it has a gay storyline?
I think it's a dangerous game to start censoring stage productions, if people feel strongly enough that they don't want to see this play then they won't buy tickets. That's how a fair and equal society should work.
A very good post and I agree with alot of what you say, Personally marriage for me should be between a Man and Woman... but as you have just seen if you dare to say anything the gay lobby dont agree with...you are called a bigot..as for the show what people have missed here is, Sotira is a small sleepy rural village, very conservative, why the plays producers thought it would be a good idea to stage it there only they know, maybe they wanted the Headlines.
exodus

Post by exodus »

I repeat my earlier question, is the action taken by the Sotira Municipality legal under EU Laws, Y/N?
Is it legal under Cyprus laws. Y/N?
Amos.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

WHL wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:14 am Your opinion Dominic, .It seems you can only talk about gay issues if your pro Gay, if you disagree with gay marriage etc your a bigot, Dominic you call someone a Bigot for not agreeing with your views..really :roll:
I called you a bigot because you turned a news report about a play about gay people being banned, into a diatribe about gay rights.

This article has nothing to do with gay marriage. It has nothing to do with what our kids are being forced to do at school etc. It is about a play shown in a theatre. How is it any different from a play dealing with a heterosexual relationship?

I cannot get over your sheer, blatant hypocrisy! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Paulo

Post by Paulo »

Evodus - Maybe you should be asking an expert on EU law, just repeating the same question on here is not going to give you any definitive answers. If you feel that strongly maybe you could make the effort yourself and do a bit of research on line and then come back and let the rest of us know.

WHL - I think the location is irrelevant, the same rules should apply throughout society. If the organisers of the play were just trying to make headlines then the local municipality has played right into their hands, proving that the discrimination that is so often dismissed by the rest of us is actually still prominent in modern society.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Gay marriage I was against at the outset, as I saw it as a step to force religious groups to carry out, sometimes against their beliefs.

In the eyes of most religions, marriage is between a mana and woman and for procreation - maybe an old-fashioned idea.... but who should impose rights on a religious institution?

I am more than happy for gay marriage in a civil ceremony - although the distinction between a civil partnership and marriage is difficult for me to see, although I conceded that if it is important to the people involved, then it should be supported by me.

Incidentally, I live with a partner and would had been happy as a heterosexual couple, to have a civil partnership for legal reasons.... but we are barred (discriminated against)

As to gay rights, I full support gay rights, as I do religious, racial etc.

It is mildly irritating that the tv companies overplay the gay representation. There are approximately 2% of the UK population who profess to be gay - 1 in 50. OK, some may not want to profess, so lets call it 1 in 30.

TV programmes like "Blind Date" always has a gay couple out of maybe 6 or 6..... but I think it's partly as its easy to find many eccentric or entertaining gay people. Therefore the programme tickles more...
exodus

Post by exodus »

Paulo wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:26 pm Evodus - Maybe you should be asking an expert on EU law, just repeating the same question on here is not going to give you any definitive answers. If you feel that strongly maybe you could make the effort yourself and do a bit of research on line and then come back and let the rest of us know.

WHL - I think the location is irrelevant, the same rules should apply throughout society. If the organisers of the play were just trying to make headlines then the local municipality has played right into their hands, proving that the discrimination that is so often dismissed by the rest of us is actually still prominent in modern society.
The answer, of course, is that that action IS illegal under EU law.
As Cyprus is an EU Member State it follows that is also illegal under Cyprus Law.
Thus an appeal to the supreme court would (should!) meet with success.
Amos.
P.S. if you want links, follow your own advice and do a bit or research.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

He wasn't asking though. You were. Though it seems you were being rhetorical.

Why post rhetorical questions? And why post them again?
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

There are also LOCAl Cypriot laws which have nothing to do with the EU

The answer, of course, is that that action IS illegal under EU law.
As Cyprus is an EU Member State it follows that is also illegal under Cyprus Law.
Thus an appeal to the supreme court would (should!) meet with success.
Amos.
P.S. if you want links, follow your own advice and do a bit or research.Ah BUT Cyprus also has it's own laws outside of EU
All things are possible
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

What law was broken?