Cyprus needs to up its waste game says EC

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Paphos Life

Cyprus needs to up its waste game says EC

Post by Paphos Life »

Cyprus must up its game when it comes to its obligations concerning waste treatment and recycling, European Commission officials said on Tuesday.The key to a successful waste treatment policy on the island, officials said, is efficient recycling....

Read the article and chat about it below...
Poppy

Re: Cyprus needs to up its waste game says EC

Post by Poppy »

It's a pity the EU don't apply more pressure on dog cruelty! Every single day I receive requests for financial help from dog charities in just Paphos alone and the stories are truly awful.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Poppy wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:23 am It's a pity the EU don't apply more pressure on dog cruelty! Every single day I receive requests for financial help from dog charities in just Paphos alone and the stories are truly awful.
Animal cruelty certainly needs a addressing, but why link this, to waste management, start your own thread re Animal cruelty and let people discuss what this thread is about :roll:
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

The waste situation in Cyprus is, and always has been, little short of catastrophic. They could have had two waste-to-energy plants, heavily subsidised by the EU, installed by 2005, as most other EU countries have. This would have provided 9% of the island's heat and electricity needs and reduced landfill needs to about 10% with sterile waste (no vermin). The electricity would be generated 24/7, unlike wind and solar.
http://bnellis.eu/waste/wwwtegen.html and its accompanying links will provide more details.

In 2008, I submitted a 30-odd page preliminary report to the authorities recommending a WtE plant in Latsia which would have covered the needs of Nicosia General Hospital and the industry in Latsia. It met deaf ears with the exception that a motorised valve for feeding the live steam to the hospital laundry was installed, cutting the energy use from 24 h to 8 h/day!
Poppy

Post by Poppy »

My point is that the EU apply pressure in some areas and not others and yes of course Cyprus need to follow better waste management.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Well don't anyone hold their breath, because Cyprus will do exactly as it pleases, EU or no EU.

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Austin7 wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:21 pm
Firefly wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:24 pm Well don't anyone hold their breath, because Cyprus will do exactly as it pleases, EU or no EU.

Jackie
Thank goodness for that - I moved to the right country after all 8-)
:lol: :lol:
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Austin

Yes it seems so, unfortunately we in the UK however, tow the EU line. :evil:

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

So you are saying you would rather they didn't up their game with regards to waste management?
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

So....what are they doing then collecting once a week the plastic bags with Tins, plastic and cardboard in.? Seems to me they are doing something already.
All things are possible
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Dominic

Quite honestly it doesn't bother me in the slightest, but after living there for nine years, and having seen the Cypriot way of waste disposal, i.e. throw it into the nearest ravine, I can't see the mentality changing anytime soon.

Jackie
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Lloyd

Face facts, Cyprus has faults, take off those pink specs.

Jackie
El tel

Post by El tel »

Was'nt it a Cyprus minister who said off the record when Cyprus was joining the EU that they would imlement the regulations they liked but ignore the one's they did'nt.

Terry
WHL

Post by WHL »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:53 pm
Firefly wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:22 pmFace facts, Cyprus has faults...
...while other countries are perfect...and don't have faults?

Hudswell wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:40 pmNow if you, and others wish to walk around pretending life is perfect and wonderful...that crime is not on the increase, that animals are treated terribly, that the environment is neglected that corruption is rife...and the list goes on then that is absolutely fine, but some actually care about this island including its faults.

I don't see evidence that crime is increasing, do you have stats to substantiate your claim?

Animal cruelty is to be reviled wherever it takes place, but I would suggest few countries are blameless. OK, I know it's a 2016 article from the Daily Express,, but read: http://www.express.co.uk/news/nature/65 ... CA-Britain Plenty of other evidence online.

Corruption is rife? At 37 in the list, Cyprus is hardly blameless, but we're well ahead of many of the 157 countries in this list: http://www.worldaudit.org/corruption.htm. And guess what, we're ahead of Italy at 47 ;)
Good Post HIC, quess theres a reason, why we are called Whinging Poms
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Must say that Cyprus improved a lot in the last 20 years or so, concerning waste dumped just in the next ravine or the forest. In the 80th I can remember seeing rubbish lorries from Paphos town driving all the way next to Lara Bay (Turtles) to dump their load straight in the sea. (Yes) :!:
It takes sure another 20 years until, perhaps the next generation of locals, stop throwing things out of their car windows, but this is another story. Specially people living in farming areas litter the roads like that. But one can see that after the Summer there are workers out, using a Strimmer to cut the weeds along the roads and collect the rubbish there at the same moment. (better than spraying weed killer)
It takes always in Cyprus a bit longer but it will improve how they handle the waste...

Living 4 years in North Italy I was really surprised how clean everything was, not much different to Switzerland. You could actually have your picnic right on the small roads. I lived in a very small village of ca 80 inhabitants but there were at least 20 collection points for glass, paper, plastics,metals, AND batteries. On top there were hundreds of rubbish bins fixed on trees or walls and emptied every few days, even in the forest walking areas. 20 years earlier the same place was disgusting.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

In Polemi, at least in our area, we are struggling to find enough big green bins for the household rubbish.
There used to be two that we would pass on the way into the village. One got burnt out and was never replaced. The sole remaining one is split on at last 2 corners and the bottom is hanging out..

When this bin is no longer serviceable I do wonder where we are supposed to take our rubbish to.
Maybe we should all just pile the bin bags up at the side of the road ??
Trev..
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

trevnhil wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:54 am In Polemi, at least in our area, we are struggling to find enough big green bins for the household rubbish.
There used to be two that we would pass on the way into the village. One got burnt out and was never replaced. The sole remaining one is split on at last 2 corners and the bottom is hanging out..

When this bin is no longer serviceable I do wonder where we are supposed to take our rubbish to.
Maybe we should all just pile the bin bags up at the side of the road ??
Go and see the mukhtar or the secretary and ask. You pay taxes including refuse collection etc...In little Marathounda there are ca 10 of them, OK many without lid ... instead full of cats :lol:
I drive every 2 weeks to Armou (7 km) to get rid of plastic, metall, paper, glass, which I collect over the time at my place to dump it in the Green Dot Containers there. What is left is nearly nothing in a week as I use the "green" rubbish in the garden...

Max
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Lloyd

Do not presume to put words into my mouth, we don't need your opinion of what is in my mind.

Jackie
Poppy

Post by Poppy »

Lloyd you are certainly wearing rose coloured spectacles! Whilst I acknowledge that of course there is dog cruelty in the UK and on our dog walks we do indeed meet rescued dogs but nowhere near the instances of Cyprus. I am a member of at least two dog rescue sanctuaries in Cyprus and see daily reports of awful abuse and that is DAILY !! Every single day of the week I get requests for financial help. I said when I returned to the UK with my two rescues I would stop donating but find it is impossible to do so. If you would like evidence of this then please check out Love Cyprus dog sanctuary, Freedom dog sanctuary,PAWS,Paphiakos etc etc. Believe me there are many more and anyone willing to assist in any way is always welcome as no help from the Government. As in crime then of course it has increased although I would say it is probably still low compared to many countries.When we came to live permanently in Cyprus in 2007 you never heard of crime at all and could leave your house or car unlocked. That is certainly not the case now.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Poppy wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:15 pm Lloyd you are certainly wearing rose coloured spectacles! Whilst I acknowledge that of course there is dog cruelty in the UK and on our dog walks we do indeed meet rescued dogs but nowhere near the instances of Cyprus. I am a member of at least two dog rescue sanctuaries in Cyprus and see daily reports of awful abuse and that is DAILY !! Every single day of the week I get requests for financial help. I said when I returned to the UK with my two rescues I would stop donating but find it is impossible to do so. If you would like evidence of this then please check out Love Cyprus dog sanctuary, Freedom dog sanctuary,PAWS,Paphiakos etc etc. Believe me there are many more and anyone willing to assist in any way is always welcome as no help from the Government. As in crime then of course it has increased although I would say it is probably still low compared to many countries.When we came to live permanently in Cyprus in 2007 you never heard of crime at all and could leave your house or car unlocked. That is certainly not the case now.
As I said before go Start a Dog thread ( its not hard)..what has your post got to do with waste, :roll: