Deliveries - do they go to your home address?

This section is for POSITIVE RECOMMENDATIONS ONLY. If you have something bad to say about a company or individual, contact them via their facebook page. Bonus points will be awarded for recommendations which include an address and contact information.
Bograt

Deliveries - do they go to your home address?

Post by Bograt »

I'm sorry if this is a really silly question......

When you order things for delivery to Cyprus, I believe the parcels don't actually end up at your home address - or am I wrong? I'm a bit unclear as to where they go, and how you know if you need to collect them or not.

The one time I had something sent from the UK, I specified a Kissonerga address (to a business that was always open), however the parcel went to the main Post Office. I've followed other threads about people ordering from Amazon and things usually end up in the PO with that - but not always. Does it depend where you live? Would a parcel sent to a Peyia address go to the Peyia PO and they will notify you?

Any hints would be much appreciated. It's funny how the simplest things can seem complex when you haven't got a clue!
trevnhil

Re: Deliveries - do they go to your home address?

Post by trevnhil »

My experience is that if a parcel comes to the Post Office it will be the main one in Paphos where you need to collect it from. If it is a smaller packet it may get to the village postman/woman.

Trev..
Trev..
Miloman

Post by Miloman »

Yes, a parcel sent to a Peyia address goes to the Peyia post office and they put a card in your post box at your house.
Previously MofArodes on CL
Mrblobby

Post by Mrblobby »

UPS will deliver to your door . DHL will not , you have to go to their office in Paphos .
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

A lot also depends on how easy it is to explain to somebody how to find your house. Our road in Polemi seems to have a couple of names, as does our house.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Bograt

Post by Bograt »

Thank you for the replies. It's probably one of those things that you get used to and learn as you go. I think somebody once said that they try and get their phone number on the delivery label, which seems like a good idea.
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

Dominic wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:43 am A lot also depends on how easy it is to explain to somebody how to find your house. Our road in Polemi seems to have a couple of names, as does our house.
You're obviously more in the village itself than we are, in order to have a road name, Dominic. We built on a "dromos agrotiko" (agricultural road) so there's no road name - but we did name the house (and had a little dig at the developer at the same time, which amuses the Cypriots no end when we explain the name to them) :lol:

As regards whether the delivery is delivered door to door or whether you have to collect it depends very much on which service is being used and the size of the parcel. As has been said before, if the Post Office is the service used, a small letterbox friendly packet will be delivered. Anything larger (or a packet, [not a letter] not from EU country) will have to be collected from either your local post office or the general post office. If from a non-EU country, you will have to take your invoice for the goods and pay the VAT/import duties at point of collection, most likely the general post office.

If a courier service is used, then whether it is a true door to door delivery depends on the company. DPD and DHL do not appear to deliver to anywhere outside of central Paphos town, so a trip to their depot is required. This does mean you don't have to stay in to wait for the delivery though! :D
Kay
Those who do not like cats, must have been mice in a former life! :lol:
Bograt

Post by Bograt »

Thank you Kay for your helpful reply. As long as I get to hear that a package has arrived, I'll happily go and get it. It's good to know the drill anyway.
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Always give your phone number. If it's sent by courier they will text you on its arrival. Post Office will leave a card. Great system and worked well for us each time we've had stuff sent.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

PW in Polemi wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:49 am
Dominic wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:43 am A lot also depends on how easy it is to explain to somebody how to find your house. Our road in Polemi seems to have a couple of names, as does our house.
You're obviously more in the village itself than we are, in order to have a road name, Dominic. We built on a "dromos agrotiko" (agricultural road) so there's no road name - but we did name the house (and had a little dig at the developer at the same time, which amuses the Cypriots no end when we explain the name to them) :lol:

As regards whether the delivery is delivered door to door or whether you have to collect it depends very much on which service is being used and the size of the parcel. As has been said before, if the Post Office is the service used, a small letterbox friendly packet will be delivered. Anything larger (or a packet, [not a letter] not from EU country) will have to be collected from either your local post office or the general post office. If from a non-EU country, you will have to take your invoice for the goods and pay the VAT/import duties at point of collection, most likely the general post office.

If a courier service is used, then whether it is a true door to door delivery depends on the company. DPD and DHL do not appear to deliver to anywhere outside of central Paphos town, so a trip to their depot is required. This does mean you don't have to stay in to wait for the delivery though! :D
What address appears on your electricity bill?
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Ha ha, ours is a PO box in the village :D

Trev..
Trev..
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

Dominic wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:43 pm What address appears on your electricity bill?
House name, village post box number, village name and postcode, of course! :D

Oh, and for "proof of address" purposes, we don't write the box no as "P O Box No ..." we simply add it as a number after the house name. Otherwise, dealing with, for example, banks in UK, gets a bit tricky as they insist on a street address ..... :roll:
Kay
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

PW in Polemi wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:27 am
Dominic wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:43 pm What address appears on your electricity bill?
House name, village post box number, village name and postcode, of course! :D

Oh, and for "proof of address" purposes, we don't write the box no as "P O Box No ..." we simply add it as a number after the house name. Otherwise, dealing with, for example, banks in UK, gets a bit tricky as they insist on a street address ..... :roll:
Yes, they are weird like that. They can't get their heads around the idea that not every country has such a well established post system as the UK.

I asked about the electricity bill because our one has a completely different address to our "real" one. I gave the electricity address to a delivery firm and they thought we were somewhere completely different.

These days I just include everything, but it seems to work.
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

It all depends on where you're located on the island. We were based for 12yrs on the outskirts of Limassol and all of our post including packages were delivered to our home address. Or, we collected at our local post office.

We had courier delivery directly to the house too for PC screens purchased via Amazon UK. Yet friends in the next village had a totally different experience....
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
Bograt

Post by Bograt »

Looks like it's all one big adventure then, but I'm sure it'll work out - I find things usually do in Cyprus. Thanks for all the helpful replies.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Fortunately 'Nationwide' in the UK accept a PO box number. But the postman knows where we live anyway :)

Trev..
Trev..
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

trevnhil wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:52 pm But the postman knows where we live anyway :) Trev..
Yes, Nikitas cannot find our house to deliver our post, but he sure managed to find it quickly enough when his little ankle nipper lived up to the name and tried to take a chunk out of OH's leg! :D He also managed to find our house when he was standing for election and seeking votes ... :lol: :lol:
Kay