...and one of the best restaurants in Limassol is?

If you have had a fine dining experience, or just top nosebag, and want to sing the eatery's praises then post about them here. No trade posts please, and keep it to one recommendation per thread. If a restaurant already has a thread, and you want to praise them too, then just add a comment to that thread. This section is for POSITIVE RECOMMENDATIONS ONLY. If you have something bad to say about a company or individual, contact them via their facebook page. Bonus points will be awarded for recommendations which include an address and contact information.
Happy in Cyprus

...and one of the best restaurants in Limassol is?

Post by Happy in Cyprus » Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:57 am

If ever you're visiting Limassol for a day out or an evening soiree and are looking for somewhere nice to eat, you'd be hard-pushed to find anywhere better than Meze Taverna Restaurant. But don't be fooled by the name, it's anything but meze same-old, same-old.

We recently attended a film in Limassol and had a choice of four nearby restaurants to choose from before the performance. By a process of elimination we ended up going to Meze Taverna and only on closer inspection did we find that despite it's unpretentious decor and ambience, it's actually No. 2 out of 1,019 restaurants in Limassol, on Trip Advisor. From the outside and the inside the restaurant doesn't look anything special, but the food and service sets it apart from all the others...and over time we've probably eaten at a dozen places in Limassol. What a find!

The owner of the restaurant is Pambinos and after just two visits we've got to know him. He started off with an award-winning restaurant in St Albans before moving to Cyprus. He and his amazing staff are Greek as opposed to Cypriot; the music played in the restaurant is Greek as opposed to Cypriot, but it's gentle background music, not intrusive. The staff speak English as you and I would and have a great sense of humour. Service is speedy and attentive without being over-bearing. The decor and ambience is typical taverna, but oh the food...heavens above, the food!

Wife has moussaka in almost every taverna-style restaurant we go too; I love moussaka too. Both of us are agreed that this taverna serves the best moussaka in the whole of Cyprus. Son-in-law had a pork chop (his favourite meal) and he raved about that. Others in the party loved what they chose (stuffed aubergines and chicken souvlaki).

I'm a lover of desserts. To me, the dessert is what the meal works towards as you chomp through it. And unlike almost every other taverna, the desserts at Meze Taverna are wide in scope and dreamy in concept and taste. Almost every reviewer on T/A says you must try the Fried Ice Cream, so I did on our first visit...and again last night. Sounds almost as revolting as Fried Mars Bars...right? Wrong...and I have to agree with the reviewers on T/A - you have to try it before passing an opinion. See pics below. But please note, the liquid drizzled over the fried ice cream is not as you might suspect, cooking oil, but maple syrup. To die for! In turn, the grandkids thought the Chocolate Souffle was the best ever.

Wife is much less sweet-toothed than me, so had an Orange Mousse Pudding on our first visit. So did I, as I am a glutton when it comes to desserts...and two desserts is belt and braces. This is a mousse fused with a very natural orange and lemon filling, nothing synthetic about it at all, though the small dollop of fresh cream on top might suggest otherwise. Wife loved the dessert so much that she had it again last night; and as I say, she's not normally a dessert person. To finish off, coffees (double espressos) were on the house, as was a finger dessert per person.

If there's one slight drawback to Meze Taverna it is that it's so popular that at busy parts of the day and days of the week you have to prior book. Try 99 570698 (Pambinos) or 25 367333. On the two occasions we've been there, most of the tables had reserved signs on them and on each visit we saw them turn lots of people away. A plus is that there is a nearby private car lot at €3 a visit just 100m away in the adjoining side street. Meze Taverna is at: Agiou Andreou 209, Limassol 3036. Google on your phone will take you right to the door.

(BELOW) An introduction to Meze Taverna.

(BELOW) An important part of the Menu - the desserts.

(BELOW) Man-size (are we allowed to say that?) portion of moussaka. We say it's the best in Cyprus.

(BELOW) Sounds revolting, but Fried Ice Cream is absolutely divine. BTW, that puddle is Maple Syrup, not cooking oil!

(BELOW) What Fried Ice Cream looks like on the inside :)

(BELOW)...and if one dessert simply isn't enough, try the Orange Mousse Pudding

PW in Polemi

Re: ...and one of the best restaurants in Limassol is?

Post by PW in Polemi » Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:33 am

Sounds absolutely lovely, but one thing puzzles me, Lloyd. With your obvious enjoyment of food and especially desserts, how come you aren't the size of Texas? 😂😂
Kay
Those who do not like cats, must have been mice in a former life! :lol:

Happy in Cyprus

Post by Happy in Cyprus » Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:28 am

Trust me Kay, these are very rare treats. And most, if not all, the stuff I bake goes to the grandkids.

I have lost more than a stone over the past few months and am actually at my lowest weight ever.

It's tough, but needs must :cry: With my love of food I could otherwise easily grow to the size of Texas.

DavidatLWH

Post by DavidatLWH » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:12 am

We can second HiC's recommendation. We came across it - but didn't try it for years - when visiting Theses furniture shop and the now-defunct Mosaic Collective, both in St Andrews Street. A gem of a taverna. Unassuming from the outside but well worth the visit.

As an aside, St Andrews Street is a fascinating place - worth the stroll down for the interesting buildings alone.

Happy in Cyprus

Post by Happy in Cyprus » Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:21 am

We got Pambinos to bake us a tray of moussaka and a tray each of stuffed tomatoes and aubergines. Considering there are 18 portions of moussaka, 20 stuffed toms and 16 stuffed aubergines, this has to be an absolute snip at €100. Now portioned up and consigned to the freezer; will provide ready meals for weeks to come.

johnandjen1

Post by johnandjen1 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:17 pm

Just visited Limasol and had lunch in Meze.

Food was absolutely excellent and great hospitality from Pambinos, so thankyou for the recommendation Lloyd. It is definitely one to head for if in that neck of the woods.

Also I’d like (rather Jen would!) to thank David as we had not heard of Thesis before and were most impressed with their stock, displays and service. A truely imaginative and different Cypriot furniture shop.

John

Happy in Cyprus

Post by Happy in Cyprus » Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:49 pm

Great to hear John. Did you try any of the amazing desserts ;)

johnandjen1

Post by johnandjen1 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:00 pm

Afraid not Lloyd, too full from the starter and mains.

Next time we will make sure to leave room though.