Mysterium

If you have had a fine dining experience, or just top nosebag, and want to sing the eatery's praises then post about them here. No trade posts please, and keep it to one recommendation per thread. If a restaurant already has a thread, and you want to praise them too, then just add a comment to that thread. This section is for POSITIVE RECOMMENDATIONS ONLY. If you have something bad to say about a company or individual, contact them via their facebook page. Bonus points will be awarded for recommendations which include an address and contact information.
The Aquila

Mysterium

Post by The Aquila » Fri May 03, 2019 2:17 pm

I think they originally tried to go for the high end dining experience which perhaps didn’t work for them. However, after closing for the winter they have revamped and opened as a normal restaurant / bar.

We thought we would try it last weekend and were pleasantly surprised with the service, quality of the food and prices.

The good lady had a chicken burger (€7.60) which contained a chicken breast, bacon, cheese and salad and I opted for the grilled village range chicken which was half a chicken and boneless (€11.90). Both meals were excellent and we were given a free latte and pint.

Although already good value, they are currently running a daily deal for €7.00 which gives 30% off for a month.

They are on TOKR at the opposite end of the “O’Neills car park”

Happy in Cyprus

Re: Mysterium

Post by Happy in Cyprus » Sun May 05, 2019 1:10 am

We went to this restaurant a year ago, and our view then was that this restaurant was too high end for the vast majority of tourists. The food was truly excellent and in that sense was worth the money...but even on a weekend, mid-summer, the restaurant was virtually empty while all around were heaving with tourists.

First class reviews on T/A: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_ ... trict.html

The Aquila

Post by The Aquila » Sun May 05, 2019 9:49 am

I agree Lloyd which is why they’ve changed their view on the market and gone more “mainstream”

The Aquila

Post by The Aquila » Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:32 pm

Sadly, this has now closed again.

DavidatLWH

Post by DavidatLWH » Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:36 pm

The Aquila wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:32 pm
Sadly, this has now closed again.
Really? I'm surprised as the Armenian chap who runs it is a neighbour of mine and he hasn't said anything. Also, TripAdvisor have reviews which are very recent.

DavidatLWH

Post by DavidatLWH » Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:00 pm

Yup. "Permanently closed" according to their Facebook page. That makeover didn't last long.

The Aquila

Post by The Aquila » Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:08 pm

I can only assume that something went on behind the scenes as the times we used it and other times we drove by it always seemed quite busy. Such a shame.

Happy in Cyprus

Post by Happy in Cyprus » Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:55 am

Sadly, the restaurant was nowhere near busy enough ever to be viable. The food was terrific, first rate, but you only had to look around to realise that the overheads of running this place were colossal.

Recently the restaurant ran a Cyprus News Daily Deal offer of 30% off all food and drink. Afterwards the manager confided to me that this offer meant they were losing money on each and every meal sold. We went for a meal there about a month ago on a Friday night, in what might be regarded as peak season. Around 80% of the tables were empty. When I popped in late afternoon the day previously, 95% of the tables were empty.

Being in business myself it's almost instinctive to make a subjective assessment of how well any business is doing, weighing likely turnover and GP against assessed overheads. And my view as we sat having our meal was that the business must be losing money hand over fist. It was in a high street location commanding premium rent, a minimum staff of 4-6 people at all times, an electricity bill which must have been bloomin' ginormous...and for a season of just 3-4 months while having to sell meals at competitive prices to get bums on seats. Like I say this was great shame as the food was first rate and we would go back in a heartbeat.

Keeping a restaurant busy and making it viable must be one of the toughest propositions ever. Only the very best surive and the failure rate is something like 80% measured over a 5 year period. Just a few minutes ago I was reading how Jamie Oliver drip fed £25 million of his own money into his chain before it collapsed a month or two back. Gordon Ramsey has had problems too. Personally I would never, ever, open a restaurant, however good the concept; the odds are so stacked against you and it is so difficult to turn a profit.