Nigel Farage: UK should hold second EU referendum

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

The ex-UKIP leader says another vote would finish the "whole thing" and send former PM Tony Blair into "total obscurity".

By Andy Hayes, News Reporter

Nigel Farage has suggested a second EU referendum should be held to silence "whingeing, whining, moaning" Remainers. :lol:

The former UKIP leader tweeted: "Maybe, just maybe, we should have a second referendum on EU membership. It would kill off the issue for a generation once and for all."

It followed comments he made on television talk show The Wright Stuff.

Mr Farage said: "What is for certain is that the Cleggs, the Blairs, the Adonises will never, ever, ever give up.

"They will go on whingeing and whining and moaning all the way through this process.

"So maybe, just maybe, I'm reaching the point of thinking that we should have a second referendum…on EU membership."

The 53-year-old added: "The percentage that would vote to leave next time would be very much bigger than it was last time round. :lol:

"We may just finish the whole thing off and (Tony) Blair can disappear off into total obscurity."

Leave.EU campaign co-founder and major UKIP donor Arron Banks has backed Mr Farage's call for a second referendum, insisting Leave "would win by a landslide". :lol:

"If we do not act radically now, we will sleepwalk into a faux Brexit, in name only," he said.

"True Brexiteers have been backed into a corner and the only option now is to go back to the polls and let the people shout from the rooftops their support of a true Brexit."

Despite this, UKIP leader Henry Bolton said his party opposes another vote as it would be "damaging to the nation".

In response to Mr Farage's comments, Lord Malloch Brown, who chairs Best for Britain which opposes Brexit, said: "Bring it on."

Lord Brown claimed another vote was something "the country needs", adding: "Every day we see the disaster of Brexit as we see its impact on our economy, jobs, communities and our society.

"With these comments, Nigel Farage is disowning the chaos that trying to leave the EU has wrought on this country."

Another staunch Remainer, Labour MP Chuka Umunna, said: "For perhaps the first time in his life, Nigel Farage is making a valid point.
PhotoLady

Re: Nigel Farage: UK should hold second EU referendum

Post by PhotoLady »

Farage must be getting bored....
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Maybe he’s fed up counting his pension dues from the EU he hates so much. A hypocrite of high order.
Ramone

Post by Ramone »

A headline grabbing idiot !
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Maybe he's sick of hearing the whinging and moaning from the remoaners, as we all are. He's right that the moaners will never accept the will of the majority, where all could vote but some chose not to, but still they moan.

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Firefly wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:10 pm Maybe he's sick of hearing the whinging and moaning from the remoaners, as we all are. He's right that the moaners will never accept the will of the majority, where all could vote but some chose not to, but still they moan.

Jackie
Having listened to mainly Tory euro-sceptics for decades, moaning, complaining and using there democratic right to protest and move to get Britain out the EU (even though it was democratically joined), then I think the right of remainers (why do brexit voters have to be condescending?) to similarly try to prevent something happening they see as bad, not get at least some respect?

If we always allowed politicians or even votes from referendums to have 100% right to progress without question, then we would be in a far worse place. More politicians opposing Blair going into Iraq or Afghanistan, or Cameron into Libya and backing the wrong sides in Syria..... lots of reasons why protests can play a part..... On Brexit, left to the will of Farage, Gove and Johnson, we would indeed 100% be up a creek without a paddle. 3 more stupid and self-entered individuals you'd struggle to find.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Jim

Yes there were lots of protests to stop Blair going into Iraq, or Afghanistan, did they have the desired effect, NO. It wasn't put to the people to vote on, if it had been, we probably wouldn't have gone to war.

But Brexit WAS put to the people to vote on, and the people, well most of us with some exceptions, did.

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Jackie

I totally accept that Brexit is happening, but it can also happen in a way to preserve jobs, trade, movement and so on. Left to negotiate on Gove, Fox or other terms, we would become pariahs.....

Sadly, not enough was done against Iraq and we were duped into a war the cost billions, killed millions and has devastated the area. Hopefully lessons learned.
tonee

Post by tonee »

When these headline grabbing surveys are published,how many people do they survey.Unless its over,say 3 million people,the survey does not represent a true reflection.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Interestingly Tonee, I for one have NEVER been asked, has anyone else on PL ?

Jackie
Poppy

Post by Poppy »

No I have never been asked either - not once in 68 years !! Have lived in different places and travelled about with my job when I was working but never ever been asked for my opinions for a Poll.
PS I do hope you and your husband will soon be fully recovered from the Flu Jackie
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

I suspect most of us haven’t but there seems to be plenty of polls going on at any given time so it does make you wonder what criteria is used to select pollsters !

Shane
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

I did have an IpsosMori political poll process explained to me. They invest heavily in the process of selecting people - usually only a few thousand - and they believe their process is robust.... however, posters haven't been accurate of late and I wonder if social media can give more accurate data, if you knew where to look and how to analyse it....
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

Robust ............. is that the most overused political word of the decade? We have a robust policy, we have a robust defence, our systems are robust, we are robust in our robustness! :(

Shane
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Poppy

Thank you for your good wishes, thankfully I think that we are over the worst.

Jackie
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

The surveys are bunk. Just look at how inaccurate they are. What amazes me is that we still hold them in such regard.

I was asked to do a poll a couple of times. However, prior to the actual poll, they ask some other lifestyle questions. If you don't answer them correctly, you don't get to do the main poll. To put it bluntly, it is fixed. They aren't random.

Well, the two I was asked about weren't, anyway.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.