German investors redistribute resources following Brexit

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
Steve - SJD

Re: German investors redistribute resources following Brexit

Post by Steve - SJD »

Poppy wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:39 pm I have to say that since returning to the UK I have been surprised to say the least at how well off people appear to be. The large posh cars on our estate alone dwarf my lovely little Nissan Note! When I was in the Hairdressers on Saturday the girls were telling me how busy they were with weddings and that many weddings are costing circa 30,000. When I remarked that it seemed an awful lot of money when apparently young people were struggling to buy houses they disputed this and practically told me I was a right old fogey( albeit in a nice way!!) Money is for spending with no thought to the future.
Certainly keeping up appearances but seems to be fueled by cheap and readily available credit. The recent spending boom in the UK comes after the fastest rise in personal debt for something like a decade. If I recall correctly personal debt is back to the same levels as at the time of the financial crash in 2008.

Whether that consumer confidence is misplaced in light of the current uncertainties remains to be seen.

Cheers

Steve
jeba

Post by jeba »

Jimgward wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:03 pm Public sector pay rises since 2007, have added maybe 7% to their salaries.... Inflation has meant that effectively they are between 10 and 20% worse off and if real inflation is used, probably higher. (i.e. not taking some things out of inflation figures) ....

----The downturn in retail index I am sure will continue as a result of this 'austerity" and may well move us towards recession, especially if interest rates increase...
What have those problems to do with the EU or Brexit? Could it rather have to do with e. g. the Lehman crisis and the rise of Amazon and other online shops?
Cogs123

Post by Cogs123 »

In stark contrast too the 'appearance' of wealth, the anti poverty & hunger UK group, the Trussell Trust, has stated that between April 2016/April 2017, it's UK foodbanks use has continued to rise with over 1million three day emergency food parcels given to people in crisis.
Of the 500,000 emergency supplies distributed to people in crisis in the first half of 2016, over 188,500 were to children. :evil:
Austerity measures & changes to the welfare system are partly to blame.
Considering we are supposed to be the 6th richest country in the world, it is truly shocking. :shock:

Jeba, those issues are nothing to do with the EU, they stem from the banking crisis in 2008 & the Austerity policies introduced by this Government, the fall in the value of the pound has just added to the problems.
Life is not about waiting for the Storm to pass...
It is about learning to Dance in the Rain
cyprusgrump

Post by cyprusgrump »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:50 am
Poppy wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:39 pmMoney is for spending with no thought to the future.

It's worth reflecting that that sentiment has caused more than one economic crisis over the years.

Ironically, Brexit is another example of 'live for the moment, with no thought for the future'.
Well, that has to be the funniest thing you've ever written! :lol:

Given that it takes two years just to negotiate departure, Brexit is hardly an 'instant gratification' decision is it...? :roll:
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Anyone care to comment on the questionable claims made by our former chancellor Osborne?? You know, the one who said Britain would plunge into an immediate recession and untold catastrophes would immediately hit Britain should they vote to leave the EU? Anyone?
smudger

Post by smudger »

Oh heck, that's it, I've finally gone deaf and blind :o
Royal

Post by Royal »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:53 am The "instant gratification" (as you put it) or "living for the moment with no thought for the future" relates not to the length of the negotiation process, but rather the relatively brief period in which people were forced to make their choice as to whether to leave, or stay in, Europe.
On 22 Jan 2013, David Cameron pledged an "In/Out Referendum" before the end of 2017 on our future in the EU (subject to being returned to power in the 2015 General Election). This commitment was included in the Conservative Manifesto in 2015 and the EU Referendum Act was part of the Queen's Speech on 27 May 2015 which detailed her new governments' plans for the Parliament. The date of the Referendum was announced on 20 Feb 2016 after David Cameron's rather pathetic 'renegotiation of our position' with the EU and the date he announced for the Referendum was 23 June 2016.

So Lloyd, the intent to hold a Referendum was announced 3½ years before the Referendum. Between the announcement of the date for the Referendum there was a full 4 months. Yet you claim that there was not enough time?

Maybe what you mean is that the intelligentsia made up of the great and the good (which presumably includes your good self) had more than enough time to decide 'Remain' but the poor stupid Brexiteers needed far more time to digest the arguments, and were unable to make the 'right' choice in the timeframe given...
Happy in Cyprus wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:53 am
A decision not helped by the questionable and damaging claims made by charlatans Farage and Johnson.
...and of course David Cameron, George Osborne et al told the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth when they said that the UK housing Market would collapse, unemployment would reach the astronomical level of 3 million, industry (especially the car industry) would leave the UK in droves, inflation would become unsustainable and we would be a step closer to WW3 should we vote Brexit. Were these lies not equally questionable? Were these lies not equally damaging? Nigel Farage stated during the campaign that the EU wanted to create an EU Army. Nick Clegg called it a 'dangerous fantasy' yet that's exactly what Junckers announced within 3 months of the Referendum. Did you conveniently forget that? What about the oft quoted 'gross contribution of £350 million a week' which Farage stated could be spent on the NHS. The Remainers seized on this with glee but they could not tell the difference between 'gross' and 'net' so simply accused Farage of telling lies about the amount. They also ignored his words which specified 'could' and twisted it to say 'would'

...so let's not hear about Brexit lies without the Remain lies.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Royal

Remain lies ? I don't think that Lloyd will admit to that ! It seems to me that HIC is very unhappy in Cyprus, at least that's the impression I get. Cheer up Lloyd, you've got at least two years to get over it.

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
kingfisher

Post by kingfisher »

Lloyd.
"But as for Brexit...well, as I keep saying, it's possibly the biggest wound a nation has inflicted on itself in the history of man."(Quote)
Somehow, Lloyd, I don't think that in the fullness of time, that assertion is going to rank among the all time great quotations!
I'd prefer.." It will be long; it will be hard; and there will be no withdrawal" ... (Churchill) (And yes, it is a little ambiguous!)
Royal

Post by Royal »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Mon May 01, 2017 6:08 pm I don't agree that there were all that many remain lies, but the big difference between remain lies and Farage/Johnson lies is that the latter won out...and by default brought about the major upheaval known as Brexit. The ramifications of which will be seen and felt over the next two decades and possibly much longer. The pain is yet to come, but it surely will.
"We're all doomed - doomed I tell yer!"

Private Lloyd 2017

:lol:
Varky

Post by Varky »

So 'Happy In Cyprus' is actually happy in Cyprus. Who would have thought it from his Brexit postings. As he has no intention of returning to UK you would thought he would rather be expounding the positive side of remaining within the EU rather than the negative side of the UK leaving. Maybe its because losing the UK will mean there is less money for the EU to dish out to the nett receivers.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Lloyd
I don't believe you have to justify your position to anyone. When it comes to attempted ridicule you know your detractors have lost the argument.

Jim
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Lloyd

Not that many remainer lies, how about the big one by Cameron ? he who was going to trigger article 50 if it was a Brexit vote, so sure it would be a remain vote, turns tail and runs.

Your nor I will ever stop politicians lying, that's what they do, on ALL of sides.

Jim B

If we never justify our positions, what's the point in debate ?

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
smudger

Post by smudger »

Osbournes predictions of financial meltdown, balance of payments crisis, currency baleout, banking explosion, unemployment increase..................

Never happened! Quelle surprise!!!