Heated Pools

For the green fingered and water lovers.
Iris 2

Heated Pools

Post by Iris 2 »

Afternoon

I was wondering if anyone had any experience of installing a heating system to their pool?

The house is only used by us and family and we do come out of season so we are considering having it installed...but it's not cheap!

The alternative is a good thermal cover that I understand can increase the water temperature by as much as 6 degrees?

Does anyone have any experience of either option?

Regards

Darrell
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Re: Heated Pools

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Relatively easy is to install a heat-pump type electric pool heating system which needs only some days until the water temperature becomes pleasant enough for you. To avoid electricity costs and time, a pool cover on top of it I would recommend, in order that you don't loose too much temperature over the cold night. As pool covers can be quite expensive, depending the size of your pool and also taking a lot of space (large reel of material) you have to decide if the higher electricity costs are worth a pool cover. (perhaps in the long run, they are)

Ideal would be if you had solar panels and a net-metering system to produce your own electricity.... though

Max
Iris 2

Post by Iris 2 »

Thanks Lloyd - appreciated.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Iris 2 wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:49 pm Afternoon

I was wondering if anyone had any experience of installing a heating system to their pool?

The house is only used by us and family and we do come out of season so we are considering having it installed...but it's not cheap!

The alternative is a good thermal cover that I understand can increase the water temperature.
I can't see that the water temperature is comfortable enough with a pool cover only, when you arrive p.e. in February or Easter. But it is a first step in the right direction to prevent water temperature drop at night and evaporation. You will find out after one season.... ;) and perhaps contact Green Air Installations, which advertise on this forum with banners and in the service section.

Max
Renewable Energy Consultant
Iris 2

Post by Iris 2 »

Thanks Max

I think we may just go for a thermal cover as the overall cost for a full heated system is a lot of money for what would be a small number of trips per year.

And it does feel like the thermal cover will add a good few weeks to the season which should keep the kids happy!

Regards

Darrell
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Iris 2 wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:07 am Thanks Max

I think we may just go for a thermal cover as the overall cost for a full heated system is a lot of money for what would be a small number of trips per year.

Regards

Darrell
Darrell, for a 8x4 pool heating with a heat-pump type the costs will be around 3500 Euros, if you have a larger pool then it is >4000 Euro.
The installation looks like an air-con with an compressor unit outside (best in the sunshine)

My German friends which installed a system recently come only Christmas, Spring, and October to Cyprus but never when the water is warm enough from the summer sun, so it was a no-brainer for them to get it done....

Max
PolemIan

Post by PolemIan »

We find the pool cover extremely effective. Ours is Geobubble Solguard solar cover, we bought in in the U.K. before we moved over and moved as part of our removals. Can’t recall the exact cost by component but for the cover, tow kit, reel and a reel cover it’s was £656 from Poolwarehishe UK. Shipshape now stock these covers. The Heavy rainfall a couple, of weeks ago rapidly dropped the pool from 27 to 23 degrees. I finally got round to putting the cover on a few days ago and it’s now back to just under 27 despite the now much cooler nights up here in Polemi. As an added bonus evaporation has all but ceased and the salt water chlorine generator has been turned down as the burn off rate of the chlorine is much reduced whilst the cover is on. Over our 4 summers here, the cover has meant we have been able to swim from early April until early November. Good value I think with no running costs thanks to the big yellow power supply in the sky.

Ian
Iris 2

Post by Iris 2 »

Really useful Ian - appreciated.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

PolemIan wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:14 pm We find the pool cover extremely effective. Ours is Geobubble Solguard solar cover, we bought in in the U.K. before we moved over and moved as part of our removals. Can’t recall the exact cost by component but for the cover, tow kit, reel and a reel cover it’s was £656 from Poolwarehishe UK. Shipshape now stock these covers. The Heavy rainfall a couple, of weeks ago rapidly dropped the pool from 27 to 23 degrees. I finally got round to putting the cover on a few days ago and it’s now back to just under 27 despite the now much cooler nights up here in Polemi. As an added bonus evaporation has all but ceased and the salt water chlorine generator has been turned down as the burn off rate of the chlorine is much reduced whilst the cover is on. Over our 4 summers here, the cover has meant we have been able to swim from early April until early November. Good value I think with no running costs thanks to the big yellow power supply in the sky.

Ian
A pool cover heats the water in winter only if there is enough sun on the surface. My German friends had bad experience from a pool cover delivered from ShipShape as it would not rise the temperature due to dense vegetation in the garden around the pool which in winter gave a lot of shade and only at lunchtime the pool was for one hour in full sunshine....So in the end the only option for them was a electric pool heating as they don't mind the electricity costs which is better than having a pool which can't be used, because the water is too cold.

Max
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

You can hardly blame Shipshape for their dense vegetation!
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

It was not meant to blame any company, dealing with pool covers. It was just a fact that they had delivered one....

Max
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Now that the growing season is coming to an end we can see how much vegetation and trees have grown this year. Now that the sun is lower in the sky a palm tree we have is casting shade, not on a pool but on the Electricity making panels. The tree will have to go next week..
Trev..
J B

Post by J B »

Does anyone had a heated communal pool :?:
J B
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

trevnhil wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:50 am Now that the growing season is coming to an end we can see how much vegetation and trees have grown this year. Now that the sun is lower in the sky a palm tree we have is casting shade, not on a pool but on the Electricity making panels. The tree will have to go next week..
Yes Trev, it is very important (much more for PV than for a pool) that you avoid shade on the panels. Shade the size of your hand can reduce your electricity production as the panels are connected in series and when one is affected then the performance of all of them wired together will be poor. Only people with optimizers installed can avoid this situation (but then the installation is more expensive in the first place)... But perhaps you can just prune the palm tree?

Max
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Yes, we have our panels on the ground, so it is easy to test this. If I stick my hand over a panel to cast a shadow it makes a noticable difference in the output. This will explain the shortness of the Oleander hedge next to it. :)
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

I got the palm trees removed yesterday so now we have no shadows on our Electric panels on the roof.
What a good job the guys did as well.. I used a firm called 'Dig it' and they took every bit of the Palm trees away, and blew all the saw dust onto the rest of our garden. I can certainly recommend them
Now we are making more electricity than for quite a while... :-)
Trev..
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

OK. It appears that the cost of an AirSouce heat pump and solar cover to heat a pool, is in the region of €5,000 or so.

However, does anyone know the running costs to keep a pool with these items, at a decent temperature. Apparently around 28deg is the recommended level.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Jimgward wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:23 pm OK. It appears that the cost of an AirSouce heat pump and solar cover to heat a pool, is in the region of €5,000 or so.

However, does anyone know the running costs to keep a pool with these items, at a decent temperature. Apparently around 28deg is the recommended level.
The running costs vary depending the size and depth of the pool and also if the pool is in the shade in the colder month. Further a solar pool pump makes also a large difference if included in the circuit of heat pump and pool. I know that Green Air installed pool heating and solar pump in Dominic's place, but believe he is not bothered and don't know about the electricity consumption as he has also a photo-voltaic system in his garden to produce most of his electricity.

What I know, the consumption WITHOUT pool cover is very high at my friends place and to heat his 45 tons pool from 14c to 27c and keep it 2 weeks at that temperature last Easter was something like 2000 kW/h. But then they come only once to Cyprus in the colder season and don't care about the costs.

Max
Iris 2

Post by Iris 2 »

We are now looking to get this done early next year - I’ll update the post as and when things progress and we decide exactly what we want etc.

Cheers

Darrell