Starting an edible garden!!!

For the green fingered and water lovers.
Lianne_gray

Starting an edible garden!!!

Post by Lianne_gray »

Gardening can be a leisure time activity for most of the people. A home with a beautiful garden gives a refreshing ambiance and also adds an aesthetic value to that home. Nowadays, people try out different experiments when it comes to creating a garden. For a home with less space, people usually grow plants in a pot, by making an indoor garden or on a patio etc. There are numerous ways for creating a useful garden and mostly the ideas come from gardener's imagination. A garden also contributes to a green and eco-friendly environment.

No plants no life. I would like to point out some of the healthy benefits of gardening:
1) Being in a natural environment provides positivity, reduces stress and increase concentration.
2) Gardens improve the property resale value.
3) Harvested food from the garden is fresh and nutritious.
4) Rain gardens preserve the quality of water and can be an attractive landscaping feature too.

I live in Canada with my family. I am well passionate about growing an edible garden but short on space. I would like to start the garden works before summer. Since I am new in the gardening field I would like to hear a lot of suggestions. Are mulches good for the garden soil? I have already contacted one of the garden soil suppliers. Which type of soil suits the best for my garden? Please help me with some tips and ideas. Thanks for your valuable time.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Re: Starting an edible garden!!!

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Hi,
As you live in Canada where you have a different climate zone it is very difficult to give you honestly tips. For example there can be years where you have no rainfall for 6 month ( how it looks in Cyprus this year...)
As I was an organic citrus farmer in the past I used mulching my orange trees when I started the project but to water the trees every 4 days. My
material came from the forest (old pine needles and soil) and needed fertilizing every 2 weeks in order that organic live can start and bacteria do the job. Without fertilizer the mulch would take organic nitrates away from the trees instead the other way round.
Recently I did a Blog about changing my garden, if you are interested:

Max viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2021
Lianne_gray

Re: Starting an edible garden!!!

Post by Lianne_gray »

Hey, great to see those pics. You have an amazing garden. Good flowering plants and colors make the most out of it. Good job and I would like to know how you manage the garden? Thanks for your valuable time and reply.