Bird Deterrents

For the green fingered and water lovers.
Iris 2

Bird Deterrents

Post by Iris 2 »

Afternoon

I'm looking for some advice or pointing in the right direction.

We have an issue with lots of birds gathering on our roof and particularly on the telephone wires that run to both ours and our neighbours house over the front garden and drive...and in turn leaving a right mess!

Ive considered the 'hawk kites' that you can buy that are attached to a long pole and apparently scare the birds away. But the size of the packaging make it difficult to bring over from the UK.

Does anyone know if these can be bought locally (Ive seen a few about in and around Paphos) or have any other suggestions?

Regards

Darrell
trevnhil

Re: Bird Deterrents

Post by trevnhil »

Yes the Hawks can be bought locally. But the last time I inquired 6 months ago they were around €160

Hopefully they are less than that now..

Trev..
Trev..
Varky

Post by Varky »

Have a look on www.pigeoncontrolcyprus.com and take it from there
Ramone

Post by Ramone »

I have my doubts about these hawk kites.
I am always out with the dogs @ 06:00 and a couple of houses down the road have these quite big kites & on many occasions walking past I have noticed a couple of pigeons sat right next to them.
Not convinced!!
Varky

Post by Varky »

Ramone wrote: Fri May 19, 2017 5:40 am I have my doubts about these hawk kites.
I am always out with the dogs @ 06:00 and a couple of houses down the road have these quite big kites & on many occasions walking past I have noticed a couple of pigeons sat right next to them.
Not convinced!!
Part of the 'kite' solution is to put a couple of owl lookalikes on the same building. Next time you see your 'pigeons' see if they have moved. If they have they are pigeons, if not, maybe these owls.

Let us know what you find
Ramone

Post by Ramone »

I am fully aware of what a plastic owl looks like & a live moving about pigeon looks like.
These are pigeons sat on the same roof as one of them hawk kites.
Varky

Post by Varky »

Ramone wrote: Fri May 19, 2017 9:51 am I am fully aware of what a plastic owl looks like & a live moving about pigeon looks like.
These are pigeons sat on the same roof as one of them hawk kites.
Pardon me for breathing, no need to get on your high horse. If you read your original posting you said they were sat and now you say they were moving about. If you had said that originally, I would have taken you at your word and not posted. Please be more specific and save everyone time and effort.
PolemIan

Post by PolemIan »

I noticed the Hawk Kites in OneStop DIY on Mesogi Rd on Monday - €95.

Ian
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

In my very humble opinion the hawk kites do work. However only for a limited period of time. There are three of theses kites not far from us and at first there were no other birds in the area. Now the pigeons and other birds carry on as if they were not there.
All things are possible
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

A Lincoln says, various things work... for a time. A plastic carrier bag on a pole... A few balloons that move with the slightest breeze.
But the birds soon get used to them and realize that they are not a danger.

Trev..
Trev..
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Those owl things certainly don't work. Our sparrows use our one as a perch.

We took a different tack. We welcomed the birds and use a mop.

Having said that, were it a plague of pigeons, and not songbirds, then we might have felt differently!
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

"My next-door neighbours suffer a pigeon problem with their roof-mounted solar panels and have a 'Scarybird'' Image :?: :?:

Every time this large "bird" produces a shade on the solar modules it will interrupt the electricity production badly. Was it not the reason in the first place to buy such an expensive nonsense ? The time he spend to disentangle the bird would be better used to clean the modules from time to time from dust and birds s..t. :D :D
Max
Iris 2

Post by Iris 2 »

Thanks for the replays everyone.

We actually went for one of the 'Scarybirds' which ar currently on offer at the HomeMarket for €99.

It's only been up a few days and we are now back in the UK but from what we have seen so far we are pleased...but time will tell!
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

None of them work for any length of time. We have hundreds in our village and the mess they make is indescribable. I've bought and tried everything available, just a waste of money.

Jim
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Ever since we moved in 22 years ago, we have had pigeons which nest in a ruined house next door. Before we got UPVC glazing, the noise at 4 o'clock in the morning, in the summer, was the real nuisance but the glazing has reduced the noise level by at least 30 dB and we can sleep peacefully. There are myriad cats in the neighbourhood but they don't seem to eat pigeons. The only action we have done is to put spikes along a beam above the balcony to stop them roosting there. The big advantage of having the pigeons there is that our garden is well manured with a nitrogen-rich fertiliser. Yes, the garden paths are speckled white, so what?
Pete the highwayman

Post by Pete the highwayman »

We had five warehouses in our yard and we were plagued by pigeons
We employed a firm we called dead eye dick he came shot two and they went away
They came back after a couple of months then we through the same thing again
That was the only way we got rid of pigeons hope this helps
Keep smiling and be lucky
Pete