Irrigation

For the green fingered and water lovers.
Laplage

Irrigation

Post by Laplage »

One thing I'm never sure on every year - when does the automatic irrigation meant to recommence? As it's hot just now I put it on for 10 minutes last night, but is that correct? What do others do? Thanks
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Re: Irrigation

Post by Devil »

Laplage wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:45 pm One thing I'm never sure on every year - when does the automatic irrigation meant to recommence? As it's hot just now I put it on for 10 minutes last night, but is that correct? What do others do? Thanks
How long is a piece of string? Nobody can answer because a) we don't know what plant you're irrigating, b) we don't know the nature of your soil and c) we don't know your water flow rate.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

We don't have any irrigation system but yesterday I started with daily water in of tubs and troughs and flowers in the garden .
Trev..
Laplage

Post by Laplage »

Thanks all. It's a matter of common sense really I think. Irrigation is on now twice a week for 8 minutes. I have young citrus trees, bedding plants recently put in, succulents on a terrace and shrubs so it's a bit of trial and error!
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

We have gradually dug up our irrigation system over the last few years. Naturally we switched it off first. A few years ago I tested it during the day, to see how it worked. I basically turned on each switch for a few minutes, to see what got irrigated. The amount of leaks I uncovered was shocking. Normally it would have been operated at night and I would have missed it. But there were water spouts all over the place.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Laplage wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:47 pm Thanks all. It's a matter of common sense really I think. Irrigation is on now twice a week for 8 minutes. I have young citrus trees, bedding plants recently put in, succulents on a terrace and shrubs so it's a bit of trial and error!
Concerning citrus trees: they grow best if you form a tree pit, ca 80 cm dia, ca 15 cm high, to fill them up with water from a garden hose every 4-5 days. In these 5 days without watering the soil supposed to be dry enough, in order the roots don't rot away....

Max
Laplage

Post by Laplage »

cyprusmax47 wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:49 pm
Laplage wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:47 pm Thanks all. It's a matter of common sense really I think. Irrigation is on now twice a week for 8 minutes. I have young citrus trees, bedding plants recently put in, succulents on a terrace and shrubs so it's a bit of trial and error!
Concerning citrus trees: they grow best if you form a tree pit, ca 80 cm dia, ca 15 cm high, to fill them up with water from a garden hose every 4-5 days. In these 5 days without watering the soil supposed to be dry enough, in order the roots don't rot away....

Max
Thanks, we have made a similar system to this, albeit using the irrigation rather than a hose.
jeba

Post by jeba »

Do you need permission to have a borehole / wellpoint (not sure what´s the difference)?
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

jeba wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:16 am Do you need permission to have a borehole / wellpoint (not sure what´s the difference)?
Yes you need permission for drilling a borehole. They are very strict nowadays with that rule...

Max
jeba

Post by jeba »

cyprusmax47 wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:26 am
jeba wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:16 am Do you need permission to have a borehole / wellpoint (not sure what´s the difference)?
Yes you need permission for drilling a borehole. They are very strict nowadays with that rule...

Max
And for wellpoints (if there even is a difference)?
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Many people are drilling only for a "lakkos", max 40 feet deep, 1 m wide, to collect water from the septic tanks overflow. For this cistern one needs no permit...

Max
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Laplage wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:01 pm
cyprusmax47 wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:49 pm

Max
Thanks, we have made a similar system to this, albeit using the irrigation rather than a hose.
In this case you need a separate irrigation line connecting all your Citrus trees in order to be able to water them with ca 40 l every 4-5 days depending how leachy your soil is!!

Max