Chantara Falls

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Dominic
Site Admin

Chantara Falls

Post by Dominic »

This waterfall, tucked in the woods behind the mountain village of Foini, has long been a favourite of ours. You can either pay it a quick visit, and have a paddle in the lower falls, or, if you are a bit more adventurous, you can climb the steps to the upper falls, and take a dip. The really adventurous can go beyond that, and have a stream-hopping adventure through the ancient woodland...

Read the article and chat about it below...

chantara_falls_masthead.jpg
chantara_falls_masthead.jpg (176.76 KiB) Viewed 6630 times
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Rita Sherry

Re: Chantara Falls

Post by Rita Sherry »

Wow Dominic

Those pictures are sensational - I enjoyed following your route and the tour so very much. My feet were longing to get into the water and just meander but am afraid I have reached that certain age where climbing and meandering through bushes is just a tad too much for me. When I had finished viewing I went and sat by my pool dangling my feet in the water- poor consolation for such beautiful scenery but please please continue to show your journeys - you have at least one avid fan. Thank you for your time and patience in putting it all together

Rita
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Glad you liked them Rita. It's one of our favourite spots. These days the blogs get 1000s of views (most via facebook), so don't worry. I have no plans on stopping. Indeed, more road trips are in the pipeline too.

Coo, just checked, and the most popular blog (Paphos Carnival 2018) has been seen 17,669 times. The big surprise to me is that Paphos Caving is the third most popular. Lots of spelunkers in Cyprus!
Lofos-5

Post by Lofos-5 »

Dominic wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:15 pm Read te article and cat about it below...[/url]
Excellent blog - will check the location out in the next three weeks I hope. But where is that cat ;) ?

A.
Yioula

Post by Yioula »

Fabulous Dominic it’s wonderful to see the beautiful side of Cyprus away from the tourist areas.......it’s such a shame that so many come to AI accommodations and never leave the hotels
I admire your love of the island and it’s inner beauty which 95% of expats have no idea exists........hopefully these fabulous blogs will wet their appetites for a little adventure......
PaphosAL

Post by PaphosAL »

Chantara could almost be Greek for 'Enchanted', because enchanting your latest blog photos certainly are, Dom!

That's one beautiful neck of the woods you've found there... Thanks for sharing!

AL :D
Gone but not forgotten...
Lofos-5

Post by Lofos-5 »

Went up to the Chantara falls near Fioni today and were not disappointed. Lovely temperature and a perfect place for a pic nic underneath large trees. Still quite some water flowing with some of the visitors having a quick dip in the cool water pools.

Had some heavy rain drops early afternoon before we headed over to Kato Platres and the Sparti Adventure Park which my kids absolutely loved. Probably even preferred it over the Fasouri water park where we took them the other day.

Dominic has a link on his site to the park as well: https://www.paphoslife.com/directory/en ... cat=plblog

Great day out and a change to pool and beach for the family (and the coastal geology for me :geek: - very nice Ophiolite outcrops just next to the trout farm above Pano Platres).

A.
Ams

Post by Ams »

Thanks for this blog Dominic. I couldn't believe that I'd been to the falls at least 3 times but never seen the upper level! D'oh!!

So my sister and I headed up there on Saturday and hiked up the falls/stream. The upper falls are lovely, possibly more so than the lower ones! We kept hiking up some way, past your geocache, and had our picnic snacks sitting on a boulder with the stream running past our toes.

With the amount of shade it wasn't too hot for hiking, but it was nice to stick feet in the refreshing water to cool off. I didn't have swimming stuff so just got in up to my knees, but that was enough. There were a couple of people going further in though.

We thoroughly enjoyed our day, my sister hadn't been to Milomeri falls so we did that us well (the easy way!), plus Mila bridge, then a late lunch/early dinner at Psilo Dendro trout farm.

It was a very successful day out, largely thanks to your blog.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Glad you all had a good time. :)
LouiseCastricum

Post by LouiseCastricum »

Fantastic blog. Thank you !
Louise :)
Lofos-5

Post by Lofos-5 »

It's almost a year since we went there last and this time we managed to get a bit further up than your blog shows - we climbed the rope

climbing.jpg
climbing.jpg (159.07 KiB) Viewed 4947 times

and scrambled to one waterfall further

beyond rope.jpg
beyond rope.jpg (192.48 KiB) Viewed 4947 times

We then decided to turn back as my wife was left waiting at the second pool and the kids and I were only wearing substandard shoes/sandals for this kind of expedition. There were 4 young girls/ladies going a bit further but they soon returned the same way back rather than via the track to the right of the stream which we also could not find as the greenery was dense and thorny.

bushes.jpg
bushes.jpg (201.51 KiB) Viewed 4947 times

Spent our lunch down at the first waterfall where the road passes the stream and were in good company of some forest department firemen and a couple doing wedding photographs. Perfect temperature and welcome change to the seaside.

Later did the Artemis trail around Olympus which is better signposted compared to previous years with new signs explaining rocks and flora.

A.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Challenge accepted!