Foinikas Heights

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Dominic
Site Admin

Foinikas Heights

Post by Dominic »

We love Foinikas, the abandoned village on the banks of the Asprokremmos Reservoir. We've already blogged about it twice though, so I thought I would take a look at some of the surrounding countryside, and see what else the valley has to offer. Hopefully I will show you that you can find stunning, remote scenery only a stones-throw from Paphos. You don't need to travel all the way to the Akamas or Troodos to lose yourself in rugged beauty...

Read the article and chat about it below...

foinikas_heights_masthead.jpg
foinikas_heights_masthead.jpg (114.75 KiB) Viewed 5662 times
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Anarita John

Re: Foinikas Heights

Post by Anarita John »

Thank you Dominic. Will have to explore on my bike when a bit cooler and the sun not as fierce. I cycled up as far as the road down to the reservoir in February but then concentrated on coastal routes.
Have no idea what that mystery object in one of the pictures is. No doubt someone will know. Perhaps Max or Al.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

I bet the pipe one can see on top of the hill is one of the Gov's bore holes for water.

The round enclosure was perhaps in the past used for the goats and sheep to stay ...a large tree in the middle is missing though.

Thank you Dominic, for the lovely panorama pics from areas I cannot go to, as I suffer from vertigo...

Max
Yioula

Post by Yioula »

Fabulous blog Dominic very interesting as usual.......it’s very true that we do sometimes overlook the beauty on our doorstep.
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

Great pictures, love the strata, pity about the water levels though.
David
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

ronk wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 10:22 pm very well done as ever..as you say..magnificent!
Thank you, I corrected the typo. :)
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Another great blog.

The borehole idea, would they really do that on top of a ridge?
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

There was no farmland to speak of nearby. In the distance, I could see some bee hives, and there was signs of an old track. So there wasn't a pressing need for a bore hole there.

Having said that, what other likelier thing could it be?
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Dominic wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 5:31 pm There was no farmland to speak of nearby. In the distance, I could see some bee hives, and there was signs of an old track. So there wasn't a pressing need for a bore hole there.

Having said that, what other likelier thing could it be?
There are hundreds of bore holes from the Water Development Department of the Government in Cyprus. If they could not find a satisfactory result after drilling and test showed less than 50 t/m they closed the pipes with a proper lid.

This bore hole is not far away from the water processing plant which you mentioned, so it could be easily connected with that, even when there is not that much water available.
There is a link from Water Resources which shows that in that area supposed to be ground water bodies...(blue colour)

http://www.moa.gov.cy/moa/wdd/Wdd.nsf/a ... penelement

As I am water diviner since more than 30 years I often go for "training" near Gov's boreholes in order not to loose the capability to still find water when I am asked to do so. Alone in the Polis district I found in more than 30 properties water from 100 to 800 feet in the past. But also in the last 9 years in Paphos district I was successful at Peyia, Kathikas, Tala, Lofos, Mesa Chorio, Tremithousa, Tsada, Tsada Golf, Ha Potamos, Choletria.... hence I need my old banger (Feroza) in order to reach places with bad roads.

Max
smudger

Post by smudger »

Wow, is there no end to your talents Max :D
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

smudger wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 8:54 pm Wow, is there no end to your talents Max :D
Sorry, but unlike most of the people which retire in Cyprus, are already pensioners and want only to relax, I sold my business when I was in the early 40's. So I needed always something to do with my time here, not to get bored. As I had no time for hobbies when I was working, it was great for me to start a new life here and discover new things which became later a hobby. I only wanted to have a house and do some farming in Cyprus but one thing was leading to another....from organic farming to renewable energies. As I cannot sit still, I never used to go to the beach for hours to get sunburned.
Instead I explored the countryside like Dominic is doing it now, when I had the time and learned so many things there. Geology, archaeology (BC), botany and much more. My only hobby in my old life was training dogs with the German Police and volunteering at an Nature Historic Museum, but then I was very young. The rest was only work, work,work, ...

Max