Paphos Old Town in 2018

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Dominic
Site Admin

Paphos Old Town in 2018

Post by Dominic »

Last year we chronicled the redevelopment of Paphos Old Town over a number of blogs. Now that the glitz and glamour of Pafos2017 has finished, and the camera crews have departed, how have the final stages of the redevelopment progressed? Let's find out...

Read the article and chat about it below...

old_paphos_2018_masthead.jpg
old_paphos_2018_masthead.jpg (141.27 KiB) Viewed 5777 times
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
LouiseCastricum

Re: Paphos Old Town in 2018

Post by LouiseCastricum »

I like the blog and I like to stroll around the old town.
Louise :)
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

Excellent enjoyed this blog. Easy to follow.
All things are possible
PaphosAL

Post by PaphosAL »

Another marvelous blog thanks, Dom.

I loved the pavement menu outside the cafe in photo #33. Quite extensive, but NO prices, LMAO!

The buildings being restored in photo #38 appear to be another Frankish Baths site, similar to those found at the bottom end of Fabrica Hill, not far away (easterly) from the Amphitheatre site in Kato Paphos, in what seems to be someone's back garden. Just across the road from the Sofiana Apartments, by the Agios Agakiptou St /Minoos St junction/

Terrific photos, which really capture the atmosphere of the Old Town now. It's good to see a second lift being installed from the car park up to the front of the old market. But why on earth are they not fixing the existing lift, in readiness for the main tourist season? It's hardly that old, is it?

AL :D
Gone but not forgotten...
manxie

Post by manxie »

their is a very good disabled toilet in small complex next to palia ilektriki taverna I think its some thing to do with art exhibitions I have used it, vassilia at tavern will help then you can maybe stop have a drink or something to eat in very relaxing atmosphere
brengreen

Post by brengreen »

There used to be a nice bar/cafe in the called hammam in the old baths. It was also interesting to look around. It looked closed up when I was there a couple of weeks ago.
manxie

Post by manxie »

the people who used to run the café in the hammam are vassos & vassilia who now run palia ilektriki
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Yes, the okd town looks much better now after its revamp and 2 yrs of chaos before that!
The reason why some of the shops have various steps or temporary looking ramps in their doorways is simple! One of the shop keepers explained that when the streets were being dug up to lay the new sewage system somehow the street level dropped.. This left shop keepers with a dilemma as in some cases the street level in front of their doorways was now up to half a metre below their internal shop floor level... and the provision of new front steps to these shops had not been included in the contract for re building and tiling the streets. So most shop keepers had to make their own arrangements!
Although the revamped old town is a huge improvement, shop keepers I have chatted with say that they are not allowed to erect sun awnings in front of their shops, nor are they permitted to erect any form of sign on their front which makes it harder for customers to identify exactly what sort of shops are in the street. I feel that in general the streets lack a Greek or traditional Cypriot syle of architecture/ Mediterranean character. Thus until the new trees reach a greater height and spread there is almost no shade on these town streets which makes it feel very hot if shopping in the middle of the day.
Though the overall appearance of these streets after all the upgrading, is so much better now than previously!
Dee
brengreen

Post by brengreen »

Thanks for the info manxie.
Maggie B

Post by Maggie B »

Thanks for the updated views of the 'Old Town' Dom. I am delighted to see that we still recognise all the streets and areas in your photographs having been away for the past six years. They all look so familiar. . . . .But cleaner/tidier. That's progress for you. 😁

We are so looking forward to meandering through our old stomping grounds when we come back to Paphos this year.

May.

My favourite EVER time of year in Cyprus. ❤

Maggie B
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

manxie wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 3:19 pm their is a very good disabled toilet in small complex next to palia ilektriki taverna I think its some thing to do with art exhibitions I have used it, vassilia at tavern will help then you can maybe stop have a drink or something to eat in very relaxing atmosphere
Palia Ilekriki is a recommended restaurant in our directory too!

https://www.paphoslife.com/directory/en ... a_Ilekriki
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
dicamus

Post by dicamus »

I totally agree with Catherine and Irena on the loss of the 'tree'. Can anyone actually say how old it was? The Old Town had character and old world charm which in my view has been lost. Yes tourist will know no difference and hopefully will keep coming. Great blog!
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Yes, a real shame to demolish a lovely, mature old tree. Apart from rows of saplings planted in many places in the old town, little else has been planted to create 'green oasis's' instead an awful lot of concrete and miles of tiling. have been laid.
Does anyone know what the new building is, (where the former kiosk and green garden area which was opposite the Paphos District offices) used to be? The new building with a semi circular glass frontage which replaced it looks to be finished but the last time I passed by it didn't seem to be in use yet. Also wonder whether the superstructure which looks as if it may be a new lift from the car park below is going to be built and finished? Has the extra money which Paphos was given by the EU for work projects in 2017 run out now, I wonder.

Dee