Let's take a look at Fabrica Hill

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Dominic
Site Admin

Let's take a look at Fabrica Hill

Post by Dominic »

We've driven past Fabrica Hill many times over the years, and often wondered what was up there. (It's the area of land diagonally opposite The Mall, in case you didn't know). After comments and photos started appearing on the forum about the erection of a raised walkway, we decided a visit was overdue. With no expectations of what we would see when we got there, other than a vague feeling of disappointment that despite what it looked like, they weren't building a roller coaster, this is what we found.

Read the article and chat about it below...

fabrica_hill_masthead.jpg
fabrica_hill_masthead.jpg (64.69 KiB) Viewed 8560 times
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Kili01

Re: Let's take a look at Fabrica Hill

Post by Kili01 »

Thanks Dominic for more excellant photos taken in perfect weather. The recent rain has worked a miracle with what was before a very arid looking landscape! Your first photo of the ruins is in fact that of a partially excavated Roman villa. It is worth bearing in mind that the archaeologists who are excavating these sites all say that they are finding a jumble of stones which have been caused by a series of violent earthquakes which have hit the Paphos area and are recorded or have been dated by other means to have occurred throughout pre history and history. This is the cause of the collapse of many of the stone buildings as a result. The Roman villa is thought to have been a large one with an internal courtyard and stairs to a first floor. The walls were plastered and painted as traces have been found. Also a carved lintel. There is still more to be done. The mosaic pictured was in another large villa on the top of the hill. Signs of an aqueduct and roman cistern and water supply pipes to the ancient theatre and town have also been found. There will be more to occupy the dig teams in the coming years. Some of the caves you photographed were in fact formed as a result of quarrying for the limestone blocks used to build the Roman town.
It is a fascinating area and once which makes a pleasant walk in the cooler months.
Dee
josef k

Post by josef k »

Dominic, you missed the bit which, for me, is the best bit. That is the Hellenistic amphitheatre built into the slope furthest from the Mall. It originally seated 8000 so would have been bigger than what can be seen now.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

That will get it's own blog. This blog was on Fabrica Hill.
PaphosAL

Post by PaphosAL »

Another great blog thanks, Dominic! I've been looking forward to this all weekend. Having walked this area dozens of times over the years, I was surprised by how much I had missed. Now made up for by your usual superb photos...

Surely the Roman Amphitheatre is part of the Fabricas Hill archaeological site, though? Shane has just posted a series of excellent pictures of it in the PL Gallery if you take a look.

@Dee: Correct me if I'm wrong please, but the annual works on this amphitheatre conducted by an Australian university team must have been going on for over 20 years now?

Cheers- AL :?
Gone but not forgotten...
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

The path we followed did not take in the Roman Amphitheatre. From what Shane said it has a different entrance.

But there are other places near the hill I didn't cover as well. The funny tree with all the ribbons on it, St Solomon's catacombs. There is plenty of scope for additional blogs.

This was never meant to be an exhaustive study of the area, just a record of our walk around it. Having said that, the fact that we could walk around it without seeing the ampitheatre could explain why the authorities are taking steps to improve access!
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Kili01 wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:19 pm Thanks Dominic for more excellant photos taken in perfect weather. The recent rain has worked a miracle with what was before a very arid looking landscape! Your first photo of the ruins is in fact that of a partially excavated Roman villa. It is worth bearing in mind that the archaeologists who are excavating these sites all say that they are finding a jumble of stones which have been caused by a series of violent earthquakes which have hit the Paphos area and are recorded or have been dated by other means to have occurred throughout pre history and history. This is the cause of the collapse of many of the stone buildings as a result. The Roman villa is thought to have been a large one with an internal courtyard and stairs to a first floor. The walls were plastered and painted as traces have been found. Also a carved lintel. There is still more to be done. The mosaic pictured was in another large villa on the top of the hill. Signs of an aqueduct and roman cistern and water supply pipes to the ancient theatre and town have also been found. There will be more to occupy the dig teams in the coming years. Some of the caves you photographed were in fact formed as a result of quarrying for the limestone blocks used to build the Roman town.
It is a fascinating area and once which makes a pleasant walk in the cooler months.
Dee
Forget to thank you for this Dee. Terrific information, thanks.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

appreciated work
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Dominic, Thanks for your post. Glad that you found mine interesting.

Al, yes the Aussie uni have been coming here for a number of years. But they come a long way to give their students some 'hands on' experience of a dig. They can only come in their holidays and then only for about 3-4 weeks. In the time they have done a tremendous job as the excavation is a big job involving removal of huge amounts of debris, soil and rocks which must be done very carefully. Every bucketful removed is examined very carefully so nothing is missed or damaged.
The Roman theatre is a seperate site from those on the hill. It has its own entrance and is fully fenced off as I mentioned previously, This year they continued excavating a Roman road which is close to the theatre probably leading to one of the entrance gates of the walled town.
Dee
Bograt

Post by Bograt »

Thank you for a very interesting blog Dominic. Also thanks to Dee, for adding further knowledge and information.
Steve Matthews

Post by Steve Matthews »

The walkway looks as though it might head over the road in the direction of the smaller Roman Hotel building and possibly take people into to the main mosaics site which currently has it's main entrance by the harbour? The perimeter fence of the main site is right against the hotel.
Or, opposite the main entrance to the caves, on the road to the harbour, is a large public space, currently fenced off and used for storing lots of building material. Maybe the walkway ends here, near to the catacombs/wishing tree, etc.
Really enjoyed reading the blog!
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

It's supposed to be linking the 2 archaeological sites.

Dee
Alfie

Post by Alfie »

Love those pink caves.
PaphosAL

Post by PaphosAL »

Kili01 wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:12 pm It's supposed to be linking the 2 archaeological sites.

Dee
Yes, Dee. But as I queried earlier, does that mean that the Walkway (currently under construction) will need to bridge TWO roads, in order to connect the two archaeological sites?

My personal take on this project is yes, it will be an elevated WALK way. The side rails will be the last bolt-on addition, before it's passed off as safe and fit for purpose. That's my humble opinion, but let us wait and see...

I wonder what all those bags of gravel are for, seen in Dom's photos on site?

AL :)
Gone but not forgotten...
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Who knows the answer to your questions, Al? It's being constructed by a Govt Dept who appear to have a free hand! But yes, they will obviously need to bridge the roads between to connect the 2 sites. But there is another Archaeological site which is largely hidden from public view at present on the rough ground between the 2 roads, which is fenced off.

Al, patience is required!

Dee
LouiseCastricum

Post by LouiseCastricum »

There are already some parts of the construction opposite the Fabrika hill on the corner close to the traffic lights.
Louise :)
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Yes, I saw that at the weekend while passing. It is currently a work in progress!

Dee
PeteandSylvi

Post by PeteandSylvi »

When all the works are finished and the culture events completely vacate I hope to reinstate our multi Geocache that offers a tour through the Fabrika Hill sights.

Pete