Paphos Villages: Giolou

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Dominic
Site Admin

Paphos Villages: Giolou

Post by Dominic »

Continuing our look at Cyprus villages, we are paying a trip to Giolou, which lies on the B7 between Stroumpi and Polis. What drew us there, you may ask? Read on and find out...

Read the blog and chat about it below...
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Lofos-5

Re: Paphos Villages: Giolou

Post by Lofos-5 »

Is it correct that the village name is pronounced as in "your loo"?

A.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Possibly. Up until now I have guessed it is pronounced "yiorlou". The G is definitely Y though, like with Peyia. I wasn't sure how to spell it either. However, Wikipidia and the roadsigns favoured Giolou over Yiolou, so I went with G.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Something has happened with the descriptions on that blog though. I need to have a look. I will hide it again for now.

=== EDIT ===

Fixed now. :)
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Dominic wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:01 am Something has happened with the descriptions on that blog though. I need to have a look. I will hide it again for now.
Yeah, and I have problems today to upload photos as most of the time Internal server error comes up...
Max :x
LouiseCastricum

Post by LouiseCastricum »

And another water well from 1953 I think.
Louise :)
Lofos-5

Post by Lofos-5 »

Dominic wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:01 am Something has happened with the descriptions on that blog though. I need to have a look. I will hide it again for now.
I noticed lots of yada yada - thought it might be a geocaching code for something :D
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Yada yada is placeholder text. When I add the photos, the captions need to have something, so they say "Yada".

The reason they can't be empty, is because I edit them in place. I click on the text and, in my admin mode, am allowed to edit it. If there is no text, there is nothing for me to click.

What happened this morning though, was that I started working on the page last night, and finished it this morning. Meanwhile, the page had timed out, so all the additions I made this morning weren't actually saved to the web, the were just local. I could go on but it is fairly tedious.

So if you see a "yada" in the future, please do point it out. I have obviously missed it.

All the yadas should be replaced with proper captions now though, he said, hopefully. :)
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

cyprusmax47 wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:06 am
Yeah, and I have problems today to upload photos as most of the time Internal server error comes up...
That would be a different issue. When you get an error, can you take a screen shot so I can see what you are seeing?
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Dominic wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:34 am
cyprusmax47 wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:06 am
Dominic wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:01 am
That would be a different issue. When you get an error, can you take a screen shot so I can see what you are seeing?
It is not the first time that it collapsed when I upload photos, but today it was many times that internal server error comes up. It is looking for PL page and after ca 15 sec it is like a time out.... if you understand what I mean. Perhaps you was busy to repair your Blog and it was too much?
Max
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

How stable is your internet connection? Has anybody else had problems uploading?
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Is normally OK, I think, as I am watching a lot of live streams mostly without interruption and all day BFBS Radio...
Max
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Dominic wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:00 pm How stable is your internet connection? Has anybody else had problems uploading?

Well, as you asked for more information on Giolou: there is ca 2.5 km away a old sulphur hot spring and a old monastery from 1650 which is nowadays a Hotel and Spa, run mainly with renewable energies. http://www.aasparesort.com
You can recognize the smelly smell :D sometimes driving towards Polis if the wind comes from the wrong direction... :lol:

Max
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Hi Dominic,
You made a good effort with this village, but in my humble opinion there are others which would offer you very good photographic opportunities such as Lysos, Fyti. Simou and parts of Milou.Not only are they all scenically situated with wonderful views, but they also have lovely old streets with interesting stone buildings and churches.

Also out of the Paphos area, Anogyra, which is situated on a plateau near Avdimou on the Pissouri to Limassol highway. There is the Carob Factory, a working organic olive mill and a small winery! Lovely old streets, many of the old houses have been renovated. Also a good taverna for a leisurely lunch and Avdimou beach or Milanda beach afterwards for a swim! Villagers always seem friendly.

Hope you don't mind some suggestions!
Dee
PaphosAL

Post by PaphosAL »

Another smashing blog, thanks Dominic! And yet more stunning photos that really capture the sleepy atmosphere of a typical populated Cypriot village...

As regards the spelling of Giolou, I think both variants are correct! As you approach it from Stroumpi, the boundary sign says "Welcome to Giolou". As you exit the village heading towards Polis Chrysohou, the farewell sign reads "Yiolou", LOL!

Loved pic #10, which appears to show the friendly local smoking INSIDE the coffee shop (those were the days!) But no, scroll back to pic #9 and you can see that he's actually sitting outside on the front open-air verandah..

Suprised you didn't stumble across a 1950's GR or ER British Army-built watering feature in the middle of a village such as this..

Keep up your brilliant work, Dom! AL :)
Gone but not forgotten...
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Kili01 wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:08 pm Hi Dominic,
You made a good effort with this village, but in my humble opinion there are others which would offer you very good photographic opportunities such as Lysos, Fyti. Simou and parts of Milou.Not only are they all scenically situated with wonderful views, but they also have lovely old streets with interesting stone buildings and churches.

Also out of the Paphos area, Anogyra, which is situated on a plateau near Avdimou on the Pissouri to Limassol highway. There is the Carob Factory, a working organic olive mill and a small winery! Lovely old streets, many of the old houses have been renovated. Also a good taverna for a leisurely lunch and Avdimou beach or Milanda beach afterwards for a swim! Villagers always seem friendly.

Dee
There are indeed loads of villages, which I will no doubt cover in the fullness of time. However, none of them had bunnies.
Bograt

Post by Bograt »

Kili01 wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:08 pm Hi Dominic,

Dee
I have bookmarked this so that I can visit these villages too. Some I know, some not. I like the sound of the olive mill and winery, there is nothing I love more than just getting in the car and seeing what there is out there. Thanks for all the information - to everyone that contributes.