If you go down to the woods today...

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Dominic
Site Admin

If you go down to the woods today...

Post by Dominic »

Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
PaphosAL

Re: If you go down to the woods today...

Post by PaphosAL »

10/10 on this one, Dominic! Thanks!

First time I did the Aphrodite Trail was on my own, starting from the Baths car park (where the Priest used to sell oranges from the back of his truck) and then went straight up taking a clockwise route. I was only wearing Clarkes sandals and wasn't packing any water, LOL!

The descent down the last half was a bit scrambly on what can be best described as an 18" wide steeply descending zig-zag donkey track with loads of hairpin bends. I don't think the Trials Bike World Champion would be able to ride this trail and score 100% (ie: never once putting foot down on the ground)...

If you take a boat trip from Latchi harbour NW up the coast to the Blue Lagoon (where there used to be seals), that zig-zag track is clearly visible from offshore.

Since that adventure, we've walked all three trails in this area of the Akamas, some of which interlink for 'short cuts'. Smigies and one more (??). Every walk brought new discoveries, but I must admit, I never spotted that little Church up there...

Cheers- AL :o
Gone but not forgotten...
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

The key to the Blue Lagoon in August is to get there early. Then you can have a snorkel around the island before the masses arrive.

Once we tried to drive to Lara Bay by following the track past the Blue Lagoon. You can get a certain distance in a Pajero, and further in an ATV, but you eventually run out of track. There is a lovely bay around there though, with a superb geocache in it. I shall have to dig out the photos I took last summer and turn them into a blog.

I love that pig farm route. It's great fun in a 4x4. You can take a right there to get up to the lighthouse too. Now that IS a white knuckle trip at the end.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

It depends where you live I guess. From Polemi you can get there by 9AM and have the place to yourself.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

How it is in August, many people but still nice.....

cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Short video above the church (Ayios Georgios)with fantastic views from the highest point.
I used to drive up there with my Nissan Patrol 30 years ago...coming from Castle of Regina,
which is just on the other side of the mountain down to the woods...

OhSusana

Post by OhSusana »

Many thanks for this. Brings back pleasant memories. I'll also recommend it to some visitors next month.
I would also add - I took the longer trail from Aphrodite's Pond, and - even though in Spring - there was not a lot of shade.
So, in addition to Dominic's advice, i would say cover your arms, use suntan lotion, and a good hat. Enjoy )