Last Look At The Old Old Paphos

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Dominic
Site Admin

Last Look At The Old Old Paphos

Post by Dominic »

Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Wallace

Re: Last Look At The Old Old Paphos

Post by Wallace »

I recognise some of the landmarks, but the improvements, pedestrianisation, make them look much better.
Can't wait to explore, may give it another few weeks though!
LouiseCastricum

Post by LouiseCastricum »

Thanks very much. Will explore soon.
Louise :)
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Very helpful to post your blogs. Opens up new areas for many of us....

It's just a pity they didn't accelerate the work last year, to finish more by now.... however, it will be a big difference. It makes old Paphos much more of a tourist area.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Concerning your question how old the steps are and what they are built on
I could joke saying it was dug by prisoners of the next door Police station to escape...
but it is everywhere in Paphos when you dig down. For example the Roman Hotel next
to the Mall is completely built on ancient ruins from the same period (if you visit there you
can see them!!)
Most parts of Paphos are like that.

" AN ancient graveyard could be located underneath Paphos Town Hall, according to the Deputy Mayor.

Six tombs – understood to be from the Greco – Roman period - were discovered in the area during sewerage construction work, Deputy mayor Makis Rousis said.

The Department of Antiquities has said much of the Paphos town centre is known to be an ancient graveyard.

In Greco-Roman times, Paphos was the island's capital, and it is well known for the remains of the Roman governor's palace, where extensive, fine mosaics are a major tourist attraction. Paul the Apostle visited the town during the first century AD. "

Unfortunately many people are not interested in Archaeologie (the reason I came first to Cyprus in 1970)

Max
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

London is like that too. I went to university at Imperial in the late 80s, and it was possible then to enter the tunnels beneath the college. The closest tunnels merely linked various departments, and were used for storage and getaway routes for thieves nicking stuff (that is not a joke!). However, beyond those tunnels were older ones which led out all over the city.

Once while exploring we came across a ladder going up, so we started climbing it. After an awful long time, we emerged at the top of one of the Halls of Residence. We had a spectacular view but didn't fancy going all the way back down again, so we managed to jump down into the unoccupied Penthouse suite and take the lift back down.

There were various stories of mysterious goings on in the tunnels towards Hyde Park and Kensington Palace. One person narrowly avoided running into an armed guard, if you believe the somewhat inebriated teller. That was the problem, most exploration occurred once the bar shut.

The tunnels are still there. You can get to them from they alley between the Science Museum and Imperial. However, they are now kept under lock and key, though I do think the college has the occasional guided tour, which isn't really as adventurous.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Dominic, how it come that you are quite interested in objects of antiquity?
Anne_paphos

Post by Anne_paphos »

Thank you for posting these photos, as a swallow to Paphos its nice to see what's going on behind the scenes when I'm not there. Its also nice to see that the owner of the site is interested enough in the area to show us the new Paphos, a breath of fresh air.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

cyprusmax47 wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:42 pm Dominic, how it come that you are quite interested in objects of antiquity?
I'm not specificially interested in antiquity. I like urban exploring too. Ultimately, I like the outdoors, and as a result of that, anything I find while I am exploring with my family will be of interest. Call it nosiness if you like.

Having said that, I do have a collection of antique codd bottles, and I am a fan of steampunk, so I guess I am drawn to old things.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Interesting, I would not call it nosiness at all. When you are in Cyprus
there are so many things you will find if you search around. From ancient
sites (be careful I had problems in the past) to wild flowers, animals, stones (minerals) mushrooms,
and much more. I was working in the past (not in CY) in a team from the museum
to rescue ancient sites from been destroyed by digger excavations of building sites in the
late sixty's. It was always a weekend job and I learned to find things on the surface of areas
as well. I realized that if you walk on a empty field anywhere in Cyprus one can pick up loads
of interesting pieces of pottery or fossils and date back time of origin. If I find a piece of pottery
I can tell if it is from late,middle,early bronze time, geometric or younger until AD. But as I said
it is actually not allowed. I had big trouble 25 years ago and I changed now to search for all kind
of crystals (amethysts) and other stone formations, crystal gypsum, pyrites etc..... which is allowed here.
(not like Switzerland were you get fined.) One day I will post some photos from my collection.
Max
Bograt

Post by Bograt »

cyprusmax47 wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:15 pm One day I will post some photos from my collection.
Max
Yes please Max that would be lovely.

And thank you Dominic for what you have done with this amazing forum. I love your blogs, keep them up please. I'm learning lots of new stuff, must say it is nice to have such a positive vibe going on with PL.
Mark

Post by Mark »

The barrels have returned to Kennedy Square.
Mark

Post by Mark »

Was concerned today at the large number of scooters speeding on the pedestrian area, and I mean speeding, a bit scary, and hopefully will be stopped. I understand vehicular access will be allowed for disabled access, deliveries etc. For 2 hours per day, let's hope it stays at that!
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Good news about the barrels.