Britain’s top 10 curries.

The place to share recipes and ask for advice.
memory man

Britain’s top 10 curries.

Post by memory man »

Chicken tikka masala no longer Britain's favourite curry - here's the new titleholder

1 Korma, 17 per cent.
2 Tikka masala, 16pc.
3 Madras 11pc.
4 Jalfrezi, 9pc.
5 Vindaloo, 8pc.
6 Balti, 7pc.
7 Bhuna, 6pc.
8 Dopiaza, 4pc.
9 Saag, 2pc.
10 Rogan Josh, 1pc.
Last edited by memory man on Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ApusApus

Re: Britain’s top 10 currys.

Post by ApusApus »

Can't beat a good Naga curry! :oops:

Shane
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Nicest curry I had was a Jalfrezi takeaway on the outskirts of Reading.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
June

Post by June »

Korma?

Perhaps people are realising it's a good idea to protect their taste buds?

I don't like curry. ;) Obviously,,
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

Homemade Madras for me...

Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Pataks?
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

Dominic wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:40 pmPataks?
Please... :evil: Image

Onion, garlic, ginger, fresh chilli, ground spices, tomatoes, puree, lemon juice, garam masala, mango chutney, coriander...
garry&jill

Post by garry&jill »

After eating curry I understand why people like Mahatma Ghandi wore nappies!!!!!lol
garry
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

Actually, Patak’s Madras paste makes a good base when you add your own extra ingredients but the rest of them are pretty naff!

Shane
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

ApusApus wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:44 am Actually, Patak’s Madras paste makes a good base when you add your own extra ingredients but the rest of them are pretty naff!

Shane
Yes, I just add a tin of chick peas, a tin of chopped tomatoes, a chopped onion and the meat. Comes out lovely. Cook the onions first, then brown the meat, add the chick peas and tomatoes, then the paste, and simmer.

However, if anybody does have their own recipe (one that can be followed) then please do post it here.
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

My top two favourites are at no: 3 and 4 in the list and every so often I will have a change and opt for no: 5 or 6
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

I used to know somebody who would always ask for a Phall curry. This is even hotter than a vindaloo. He would eat it too, though he would turn bright red as he did so. I once tried a fork full, but it literally hurt.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Dominic wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:01 am
ApusApus wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:44 am Actually, Patak’s Madras paste makes a good base when you add your own extra ingredients but the rest of them are pretty naff!

Shane
Yes, I just add a tin of chick peas, a tin of chopped tomatoes, a chopped onion and the meat. Comes out lovely. Cook the onions first, then brown the meat, add the chick peas and tomatoes, then the paste, and simmer.

However, if anybody does have their own recipe (one that can be followed) then please do post it here.
My quick chicken curry takes 20 minutes from start to finish: using chicken fillet.

Chop two medium size onions and 3 garlic cloves and fry it together with 3-4 bay leaves in plenty olive oil until lightly browned.
Add chicken fillet, sliced ca 1 cm thick, and fry it on one side until light brown, sprinkle 3-4 teaspoon curry powder Madras hot, 1 teaspoon cinnamon,
some cardamom, some turmeric, all over the meat. So when I turn the meat I know which one I perhaps forgot to turn. As soon as the meat looks cooked (3-4 min.) I reduce the heat from medium/high and pour quite a lot of warm milk. To thicken it I use French mustard and a bit of cream/jogurt and led it simmer ca 5-6 min. Now I add salt and a bit sugar and plenty black pepper from the mill to taste. Ready :)
As I don't like rice I prepare some Italian pasta (tagliatelle) and a nice bottle Italian red....

Max
PhotoLady

Re: Britain’s top 10 curries.

Post by PhotoLady »

My husband makes all our curries (always chicken because I won't have red meat or fish in curry) from scratch using similar ingredients as Max. I cannot provide an actual recipe as I don't do the cooking and he does it off the top of his head anyway.... He uses tinned tomatoes for the base, olive oil, cumin, turmeric, cardamom, onions and red and green peppers. Nothing is used to thicken it as he finely chops some of the onions and peppers so they break down during cooking. But you can always thicken with yoghurt or cream depending on preference. No salt is added but he does use black pepper.

He always makes enough for 4 servings so we freeze one lot for another time. He does however add lots of those fiery, thin green chillies. The fumes from them when they're being flash fried literally takes your breath away.
We both love these particular chillies and a special treat for us in the summer is to eat them just as they are, rolled up inside a thick slice of boiled ham :-)

I know he prepares his sauce base first of all in a large deep frying pan and the chicken goes into the sauce at the very last stage. We prefer Jalfrezi style which means it's a quick fry dish.... He then leaves it to rest before serving. I like a bit of lime pickle with mine....
We've also started to use Morrison's own brand boil in bag Basmati rice because it's less messy and tastes no different from the basmati you can buy in the big catering bags and comes without the storage issues. Four sachets of 125g bags for £1.12p provides us with enough rice for four meals as each 125g bag serves 2 people.

We find the second meal from the previously frozen dish always tastes even better than the first because the sauce and spices have permeated deeper into the chicken. It's always more spicy too!
DavidatLWH

Post by DavidatLWH »

memory man wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:14 pm Chicken tikka masala no longer Britain's favourite curry - here's the new titleholder

1 Korma, 17 per cent.
2 Tikka masala, 16pc.
3 Madras 11pc.
4 Jalfrezi, 9pc.
5 Vindaloo, 8pc.
6 Balti, 7pc.
7 Bhuna, 6pc.
8 Dopiaza, 4pc.
9 Saag, 2pc.
10 Rogan Josh, 1pc.
Pfft. Those are for wimps. What's wrong with a good old Bangalore Torpedo on a Friday night?
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

Nothing ............ but I think the Saturday morning could be a problem, well if you make it that far!

Shane
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

This week has been "Curry Week" at our local supermarket, Morrisons and also sees the release of what's claimed to be the hottest curry sold in UK supermarkets - the Volcanic Vindaloo containing whole Naga chilli peppers and gets a 6 pepper heat rating. Hmmmm, we shall see!

Not tried it yet, we shall leave it until later in the week as Saturday night is our night down the village working men's club with an artist/musician, some drinking and dancing with friends.

All the curries this week were on a special price offer of £1.50 per serving - absolutely no complaints about that!
DavidatLWH

Post by DavidatLWH »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:14 am Call me a snowflake, but I still believe Lloyd Grossman curries to be the best. When the wife's in the UK and I am in charge of cooking, I don't expect any meal to take me more that two minutes to cook (or rather heat up) :lol: I can do that with a Lloyd Grossman. Chuck it in a pan with some thawed-out chicken pieces and Fanny's your aunt :lol:

Bangalore torpedo...love it :lol:
Agree - LG's sauces - Italian or Indian - are excellent. :) His Puttanesca (sp.?) is terrific. Not long ago we tried a Sacla puttanesca sauce, in the absence on the shelves of Lloyd Grossman's. Not so good, but even more alarmed when I read recently online how much salt is in Sacla sauces. :o

I grown Scotch Bonnet chillis in our veg garden, but I suspect my wife has ideas with the weedkiller.......
DavidatLWH

Post by DavidatLWH »

On the subject of curries, and strictly speaking this comment belongs elsewhere, but have you tried Namaste resto. South Indian street food. Near the big church/cathedral in Paphos (just down the road from the Almond Tree). Best Indian ever in Paphos. Not that there's ever been much competition. Only opened a few months ago. On a different level from the usual suspects. The real McCoy.
WHL

Post by WHL »

DavidatLWH wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:12 pm
memory man wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:14 pm Chicken tikka masala no longer Britain's favourite curry - here's the new titleholder

1 Korma, 17 per cent.
2 Tikka masala, 16pc.
3 Madras 11pc.
4 Jalfrezi, 9pc.
5 Vindaloo, 8pc.
6 Balti, 7pc.
7 Bhuna, 6pc.
8 Dopiaza, 4pc.
9 Saag, 2pc.
10 Rogan Josh, 1pc.
Pfft. Those are for wimps. What's wrong with a good old Bangalore Torpedo on a Friday night?
Just remember to store your toilet paper, in the Fridge the night before :shock: