Sticky Toffee Pudding

The place to share recipes and ask for advice.
Happy in Cyprus

Sticky Toffee Pudding

Post by Happy in Cyprus » Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:15 am

Another British classic, Sticky Toffee Pudding - comfort food at it’s winter-warming best. Largely based on the BBC Ultimate Sticky Toffee Pudding recipe, but with some enhancements. Recipe provides around 12-15 portions; eat what you want now, freeze the rest for later. Takes around 60 mins prep + 40 mins to bake (shorter baking time if using individual baking tins).

INGREDIENTS

For the pudding

335g whole Medjool (or other) dates
260g ml. boiling water (to make tea)
1½ tsp vanilla extract
260 gms SR flour + extra for greasing
1½ tsp bicarb of soda
½ tsp mixed spice
½ tsp cinnamon
3 eggs
130 gms butter, softened + extra for greasing
150 gms Demerara sugar
2 tbsp black treacle
1 tbsp golden syrup
150 ml milk
Clotted cream, custard or good quality vanilla ice cream to serve (optional)

For the sauce

400 gms light Muscovado sugar
110 gms butter, cut into pieces
500 ml double cream
2¼ tbsp black treacle

METHOD

Stone and chop the dates quite small. If you use a blender to chop, don’t overdo it. Pour 260 gms boiling water over one teabag (I prefer Early Grey), allow to infuse for a short while, then add the tea to the dates. Leave for about 30 mins until cool and well-soaked, then mash with a fork. Stir in the vanilla extract.

Butter and flour a 20 x 30cm baking tin. Alternatively, butter and flour 12 muffin/mini pudding tins (about 175 ml/7 fl. ozs.) and sit them on a baking tray. NB: I’ve tried both options and the large tin is much less fiddly and time-consuming. With a large tin you can vary portion sizes to suit and better coat with sauce.

Pre-heat the oven to 180°C fan.

Mix the SR flour, bi-carb of soda, mixed spice, cinnamon, eggs, softened butter and Demerara sugar together and beat well. Add the treacle and golden syrup and beat well. Gradually add the milk, all the while continuing to beat.

Add the soaked dates to the pudding batter and mix thoroughly.

Pour the pudding mix into the large baking tin or individual muffin tins, add to the oven and bake for around 40 mins (less if using muffin tins) or until risen and firm. Use a cake tester or thin skewer to confirm cooked.

To make the sauce: add the light Muscovado sugar, butter and half the cream to a medium saucepan. Bring to the boil over a medium heat, stirring all the time, ensuring all the sugar has dissolved.

Stir in the black treacle, turn up the heat a little and let the mixture simmer away for 2-3 minutes until it is a rich toffee colour, stirring occasionally to make sure it doesn’t burn. Take the pan off the heat and beat in the rest of the double cream.

Remove the pudding/s from the oven. Allow them to cool. If using a 20 x 30 cm tin, cut into portions using a palette knife and separate away from the edges of the tin. Pour some of the sauce over the whole pudding, ensuring sauce seeps into all the cut crevices and around the perimeter. Do this several times.

While you can serve now with additional sauce drizzled over, this pudding is best served after a day or two. So pour the remaining sauce into one or two ovenproof serving dishes.

When ready to serve, heat oven to 180°C fan. Warm the puddings through, covered loosely in foil, for 15-20 mins. Heat up the remaining sauce too. This can then be drizzled over to suit.

Serve with clotted cream, custard or good quality vanilla ice cream (we like P&P), to suit.

BTW: although I used a large glass dish in the pics below, I now prefer a baking tin as it requires less heat soak once the pudding is placed in the oven; hence a shorter baking time. In the final pic I used mini pudding tins.

See photos further down.
Last edited by Happy in Cyprus on Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:00 am, edited 2 times in total.

PW in Polemi

Re: Sticky Toffee Pudding

Post by PW in Polemi » Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:22 am

That looks really yummy, Lloyd.
Kay
Those who do not like cats, must have been mice in a former life! :lol:

Cherry345

Post by Cherry345 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:10 am

It looks and sounds lovely, and is hubby's favorite pudding, although I have never tried making one I will save your recipe until we have friends over otherwise he will eat the whole thing lol...thanks.

Devil

Post by Devil » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:28 am

Yuk! I couldn't eat that for love nor money :( Much rather have stewed fruit and custard with minimal sugar.

Happy in Cyprus

Post by Happy in Cyprus » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:19 am

Brian (Devil) I'd be the first to admit the recipe is full of things your heart doctor would tell you to avoid. It's not something you could eat every day - though, being ultra sweet-toothed, I'd be happy to die trying lol - but as an occasional treat, it's a delight. I made some the other week for daughter and family and they absolutely adored it; even the grandkids, who can be a bit picky on creamy or sweet stuff.

Devil

Post by Devil » Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:05 pm

Hudswell wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:44 am

It’s an age thing, my great Grandma was just the same 😉
Whatja mean? I'm only 86, going on 87! :twisted: :twisted:

Must admit, though, my sweet tooth has become quite savoury over the years. I can even remember drinking a Coca Cola on a terrace in Saas Fee, about 50 years ago. Unlike my daughter's boy friend who drinks only CC, even with meals, but I think Zero.

Happy in Cyprus

Post by Happy in Cyprus » Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:10 pm

At the urgent request of my grandkids, I had to make some more sticky toffee pudding today. And I found that a square 24 x 24cm tin was better than the 20 x 30cm tin previously posted. A tin cooks quicker than a heavy Pyrex dish, so I have reduced the baking time to 35 mins (rather than 40 mins) and this was perfect. I actually forgot to add the Demerera sugar to the pudding mix today, so it'll be interesting to see what the feedback comes back as; I'm sure the sweetness of the sauce will more than compensate ;)

The sauce came out a lighter colour this time, as I used light muscovado sugar instead of dark, as you can see from today's pics below.

Just a shame I had to give to all to daughter and family :( :(

Happy in Cyprus

Post by Happy in Cyprus » Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:12 am

Happy in Cyprus wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:10 pm
I actually forgot to add the Demerera sugar to the pudding mix today, so it'll be interesting to see what the feedback comes back as; I'm sure the sweetness of the sauce will more than compensate ;)

Outcome was that grand-daughter didn't notice the absence of sugar in the mix...and daughter thought it actually tasted better without. So you can either add, or not, as desired.