Apple Tarte Tatin

The place to share recipes and ask for advice.
Happy in Cyprus

Apple Tarte Tatin

Post by Happy in Cyprus » Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:57 am

An iconic French dessert, relatively easy to make and oh-so-scrumptious to eat.

APPLE TARTE TATIN

Recipe below serves 6. Takes around 30 mins prep + 25 mins to cook.

INGREDIENTS

50g UNsalted butter
4 x med. green apples, peeled, cored, cut into 1/6th pieces
100 gms light brown sugar
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp. cinnamon
2/3 sheet puff pastry, thawed
Double cream…or quality vanilla ice cream to serve - recommend P&P brand in Cyprus

METHOD

Preheat the oven to 180°C + fan or 200C (no fan).

Melt butter in a large (25 cm base) frying pan over medium-high heat. Add apple in neat pattern. Cook, turning, for 10-12 mins or until golden. Sprinkle evenly all over with light brown sugar, vanilla extract and cinnamon. Cook for further 2-3 mins, or until sugar has dissolved. Bring to the boil then reduce heat to low. Simmer for 2-3 mins or until liquid has caramel/toffee consistency, then remove from heat.

Cut a min. 25cm round from the puff pastry (I usually cut an extra cm all the way around a dinner plate). Lay the pastry on a flour-dusted surface and then roll the pastry onto a flour-dusted rolling pin. Use the rolling pin to lay the pastry over the cooked apples in the pan. Tuck in the pastry all the way around the edge. Gently tap the pastry down level onto the fruit. Poke pastry with point of knife to allow ventilation. Place pan in the oven and bake for 20-25 mins or until golden and puffed (suggest turning temperature up to 200°C for last 5 mins to brown the pastry). Allow to cool. I then place the pan in a fridge to really cool down. Remove from the fridge and place a large dinner plate upside down over the pastry. Then in one deft movement flip the pan upside down, to reveal the Tarte Tatin the correct way up.

Serve with cream or vanilla ice cream.

Last edited by Happy in Cyprus on Mon May 20, 2019 2:18 am, edited 2 times in total.

Happy in Cyprus

Re: Apple Tarte Tatin

Post by Happy in Cyprus » Mon May 20, 2019 2:16 am

I am an inveterate tweaker of recipes and have made a number of small changes to this recipe. I also now prefer to skin the sliced apples rather than leave the skin on. The last pic above was taken yesterday. A simple and very easy dish to make and nice to serve with vanilla ice cream throughout the summer.