Lemon Sponge Pudding

The place to share recipes and ask for advice.
Happy in Cyprus

Lemon Sponge Pudding

Post by Happy in Cyprus » Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:23 am

This pudding isn’t actually a lemon sponge; rather, it's a plain Victoria sponge which comes bathed in a gloopy, zesty lemon sauce. Despite it's utter simplicity it's one of my favourite winter-warming desserts. It’s also quick and easy to make. Recipe provides around 4 - 5 portions; eat what you want now, freeze the rest for later - even the sauce. Takes around 30 mins prep + 25 mins to bake.

INGREDIENTS

For the sponge

100 gms S.R. flour
100 gms salted butter, softened (plus extra to grease the dish/baking tin)
100 gms caster sugar
2 large eggs, beaten
¼ tsp vanilla extract (preferably) or essence

For the sauce

250 ml (½ pint) water
25 gms cornflour
25 gms of sugar (nominal, the amount you use will be to taste, depending on the acidity of the lemon)
1 medium to large lemon, washed and quartered
knob butter

METHOD

Pre-heat the oven to 180°C with fan. Grease and dust with flour a 16-18 cm (8”) circular baking dish or tin (size not critical). Cream the butter and sugar together in a bowl until the mixture is light and fluffy. Gradually beat in the eggs and then add the vanilla extract/essence. Mix in the flour.

Pour into the baking tin and bake at 180°C for 20-25 mins until the sponge is golden brown, springs back when lightly pressed, or tests clean. Remove from the oven, allow to cool for a couple of minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack. Re-heat later when you are ready to serve, in portions.

For the sauce: place all the ingredients in a liquidiser and blitz on max speed for 10 seconds. Strain into a saucepan; you may need to mash the flesh and pith of the lemon against the strainer with a large spoon. Bring to the boil, stirring well. Cook for 2-3 minutes. Use what you want now, freeze the rest for later.

Last edited by Happy in Cyprus on Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Flossie

Re: Lemon Sponge Pudding

Post by Flossie » Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:56 am

Wow - I love anything lemony! Yesterday I caught a glimpse of Mary Berry making a simple sponge for some firemen but just added lemon curd to the cream filling I think!

cyprusmax47

Post by cyprusmax47 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:56 am

Flossie wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:56 am
Wow - I love anything lemony! Yesterday I caught a glimpse of Mary Berry making a simple sponge for some firemen but just added lemon curd to the cream filling I think!
They had last week Lemon Cheese Cake in a little glass dish at Lidl, which was quite nice and very lemony.... unfortunately all sold the next day...

Max

Flossie

Post by Flossie » Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:11 pm

Thank God for that or I may have bought them all!!