Buy or rent? Advice sought.

For all you Petrolheads out there...
OhSusana

Buy or rent? Advice sought.

Post by OhSusana »

I'm not sure whether to buy a car, or rent one.
I live in Kato Paphos - within walking distance of 2 supermarkets - for about half the year.
The other half I spend visiting other countries - the Uk, and also mainland Europe.
I don't have any other serious "life" demands. And after several decades in London, am happy using the buses in Paphos.
Occasionally, however, I don't mind a drive; particularly into the hills. In the US I had a MGB convertible, which was super, but needed quite a bit of maintenance - sometimes on-road!
But I like driving a convertible, for example, in an evening, when it is not too hot.
I've seen some Audi and Renault convertibles advertised. Look quite nice.
I only have undercover parking. No garage, and no security guard! And I can't see any secure parking advertised in Paphos itself, if I decided to buy something serious, and then had to leave it for a couple of months.
There are some airport parking companies offering to look after your car - generally about 3 euros a day. But if I'm away for half a year this would add up to about 500 euros a year in fees.
My husband thinks it might be simpler to rent a nice car for a week or two, as I wish. Saving road tax, insurance for the year, and maintenance costs.
Probably he is right, but - I quite like having my own car.... tricky decision .... ?
Dominic
Site Admin

Re: Buy or rent? Advice sought.

Post by Dominic »

We got ourselves an old Pajero for going off road. It makes funny noises every so often, but has taken us places we would never have found otherwise.

Plus, the tyres don't cost much too change.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

Why not rent during this visit and if it's really not for you/can't rent exactly what you want to drive, then next time you're over here you can look around to buy.
Kay
Those who do not like cats, must have been mice in a former life! :lol:
OhSusana

Post by OhSusana »

PW in Polemi wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:54 pm Why not rent during this visit and if it's really not for you/can't rent exactly what you want to drive, then next time you're over here you can look around to buy.
mmm.. seems wise.
I was looking at rental costs. From about 300 euros a month currently, more obviously in high season.
But automatic - about 800, convertible about 1000 a month. Now that's crazy money. I've seen some used convertibles to buy for 4 or 5k. So... wierd...
I'll keep looking. Simplest probably to take a walk down the Tomb of the Kings Rd and ask in a number of places.
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

OhSusana wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:03 pm I was looking at rental costs. ..... Now that's crazy money.
If you don't need the car every day, why not rent it for short periods only?
Kay
Those who do not like cats, must have been mice in a former life! :lol:
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

If as you said in your initial post that you don't need a car every day, why would you be looking at monthly rental costs?

Just hire one as and when you need it or want it.... And see how it goes.

If you're ever going to live in Cyprus on a more permanent basis then you can make a more informed decision on what type of car or vehicle you will need....
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
JimX

Post by JimX »

Morning..

It would be more economical to use taxis rather than rent or buy a motor, and open cars may look appealing but heat and dust, insects etc, don't go there {on Cyprus}, you would need AC rather than open top motor.

Think hard before spending. :)
Jim.
Mark

Post by Mark »

Also depends when you visit.
Winter is cheap to rent, Summer very expensive.
If you buy, and leave the car, the weather will have a detrimental effect.
OhSusana

Post by OhSusana »

Many thanks all for your thoughts.
PW in Polemi wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:54 pm Why not rent during this visit and if it's really not for you/can't rent exactly what you want to drive, then next time you're over here you can look around to buy.
Not a bad idea. Just rent on a daily basis. i need to do some serious mathematics. Insurance, tax, maintenance, make allowance for the time of year, etc. But I would guess that renting - if, say, for 2 months a year (in days) - would work out cheaper, and have less hassle.
Taxis. It's cheaper to rent than get a taxi if you're going anywhere in particular (for example, even just to and from the airport). Taxi prices in Paphos seem on a par with London to me!
Open cars - I take the point, but - I've driven thousands of miles in the US in summertime in a convertible. You just get used to getting your face dirty, and having to wear goggle-type sun glasses to keep the dust out of your eyes, cover your arms, have a cap that stays on your head! But the benefits are worth it for me )

One more question, if I may.
Does anybody know of any secure parking in the Paphos area?
gazzaga

Post by gazzaga »

Having owned a convertible in Cyprus I can say that they are not that useful here. it's very dusty, often too hot to have the roof down as A/C required and sunburn can be an issue. Also they tend to have no boot space. I'd say rent but rent something practical. Good thing about renting is you can change the vehicle whenever you want if you don't like the style