Problems with starting car.

For all you Petrolheads out there...
Firefly

Problems with starting car.

Post by Firefly »

Hi Guys

A little help if possible please. My car is having problems starting, it happens rarely, but when it does, it's as dead as a Dodo with no reason, lights not left on etc. I have had the battery checked and was told that was ok, next the alternator was checked again no fault found, but it's still happening. Does anyone have any thoughts please, apart from change my car ;)

Thanks

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
beachcaster

Re: Problems with starting car.

Post by beachcaster »

Jackie.
Check any interior lighting and especially the boot light if you have one. You may have to pull down one of the rear seats to check boot light is not staying on. If the fault is intermittent you will have to open and close the boot lid several times or maybe put a little helper in the boot.
Best regards ......Alan
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

I had a similar problem and even though the battery was showing full charge when tested I had no further issues after purchasing a new battery.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Thanks for your replies, I have checked the internal lights, non are left on. It seems that a new battery may be called for after all.

Thanks again.

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Band

Post by Band »

Where did you have your battery checked? Was it by a qualified auto electrician? I always go to the guy behind the Relax takeaway opposite Zeka tyres, just past the traffic lights going from the Chlorakas Pizza Hut to Paphos. Turn right by Relax and take the first left and it is the garage at the end of the road straight in front of you. English isn't his strongest point but pointing works quite well. He is really good and very good value.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Band, Jackie is in the UK..
Trev..
Band

Post by Band »

trevnhil wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:58 pm Band, Jackie is in the UK..
Well, I appreciate that it is a bit of a drive, but they are very good! ;)
josef k

Post by josef k »

Check the cables to your battery terminals are very tight. If you can move them, even slightly, then that may well be your problem.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Band, love it, but thanks :lol:

josef, my mechanic checked the battery fittings, so I'm sure everything is ok in that department.

I have looked into buying another battery, but now I've hit another problem, all the batteries to fit my car are at the wrong height, i.e. the existing battery is 183mm, but all the replacements are 255mm, and the brackets to hold it in place are too short to secure them, :roll: I'm at a loss, and so is my mechanic.

Jackie
Band

Post by Band »

What make/model of car do you have?
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

A Chevrolet Lacetti 1.8
Band

Post by Band »

Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Band

Yes I have, they don't have any in stock, but thank you.

Jackie
panoscouse

Post by panoscouse »

Jackie, try this link https://www.tayna.co.uk/Bosch-Car-Batte ... 425-1.html

on the left hand side you can select by size and at the top you can select other brands if you wish.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Thanks for the link, I still can't find a battery with the right measurements for my car i.e. Length 230. Width 200. Height 183, I know a smaller size would fit, but it seems where it fits one way, it won't fit another, very frustrating. :roll:

Jackie
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

Even then you need to have the correct (AH) Amps per Hour rating.
Just to explain, your car may have a 45AH rating, if you put a higher rating like 60AH it will never fully charge, if you put a lower rating it wont have enough power.
Is the battery the original? if not check your car handbook.
I would get a proper auto electrician on to it, if the problem is intermittent it may be something else, and buying a battery a waste of money.
David
panoscouse

Post by panoscouse »

You can always take your car (if you can get it started) to Halfords and they will sort you out. They guarantee to fit the correct replacement and will dispose of your old battery.
merchant_banker

Post by merchant_banker »

Firefly wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:55 pm Thanks for the link, I still can't find a battery with the right measurements for my car i.e. Length 230. Width 200. Height 183, I know a smaller size would fit, but it seems where it fits one way, it won't fit another, very frustrating. :roll:

Jackie
Why not take it to a garage?
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

RW, thanks I have replied to you.

MB, my mechanic is having as many problems as I in finding one. Maybe

Panoscouse, yes it may be the only way forward.

Jackie