Car Imports

For all you Petrolheads out there...
Jim B

Car Imports

Post by Jim B »

Is there a limit on the number of cars a person can import into Cyprus.

Thank You.

Jim
geoffreys

Re: Car Imports

Post by geoffreys »

Jim B wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:58 am Is there a limit on the number of cars a person can import into Cyprus.

Thank You.

Jim
If you still qualify for "Duty Free" one per person only.
Otherwise no limit.
Geoff.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Cheers Geoffreys, I brought one in from the UK recently and was considering bringing another one for the wifè.

Jim
Varky

Post by Varky »

Not sure the 'duty free' option is available now. I think the duty payable is calculated on CO2 emissions and as long as you are prepared to pay the duty, which, if the CO2 emission level is low, can be zero then I think you can import as many as you want. Could be wrong on the latter.

At least this was the situation when I imported 3 years ago.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

I think age of the vehicle is taken into consideration.

Jim
J B

Post by J B »

Jim B wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:48 pm I brought one in from the UK recently and was considering bringing another one for the wifè.
I know the old jokes are the best so ...... will you be part exchanging her ? :lol:

Spreadsheet for calculating 'duty' is downloadable here ....

http://www.mof.gov.cy/mof/customs/custo ... enDocument
J B
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

:-)

Jim
PolemIan

Post by PolemIan »

On a similar vein, does any body have any experience / contacts for the process of buying a nearly new car in the UK, say via Autotrader or a UK main dealer and having it brought out here?

Ian
J B

Post by J B »

PolemIan wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:22 am On a similar vein, does any body have any experience / contacts for the process of buying a nearly new car in the UK, say via Autotrader or a UK main dealer and having it brought out here?
Not 'nearly new', but ... 4 years ago we bought a 2005 HRV off Autotrader.
Brought it home, checked and serviced it, changed name on the 'log book', drove it to Bristol (caught the train back), arranged shipping (with Andrews Shipping) then got ANW http://www.anwcars.com/ to do all the paperwork etc when it and we were in Cyprus.
J B
Varky

Post by Varky »

Just be aware of the CO2 emissions of the car you buy as this has a big effect on the duty and annual registration charges you will pay. Someone previously has posted a link to calculate what these charges are.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

I bought an 18 month old car off Autotrader that was for sale in the town I used to live before moving out to Cyprus. My son went and looked it over and gave the OK and then I contacted ANW who arranged to collect it, transport it down to Southampton and then ship it over. Well worth using ANW as apart from picking it up from the Port in Limmasol and then doing the registering in Paphos , the whole experience was painless. The garage held the car for over three weeks to line up with the Ferry schedule something else that has to be considered.
As Varky said, you have to be aware of the C02 emissions on any car you bring in; best to confirm that the C02 figure stated is the same as written on the UK log book.

Jim
J B

Post by J B »

Varky wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:47 pm Just be aware of the CO2 emissions of the car you buy as this has a big effect on the duty and annual registration charges you will pay. Someone previously has posted a link to calculate what these charges are.
Indeed ..... the day our car arrived, they changed the rules :roll:

We had to wait 2 days whilst they decided what to charge us, then we had the option of the old charge (€350) or the new one (€3000)

A difficult choice :lol:
J B
PolemIan

Post by PolemIan »

Thanks JB, Jim B and Varky. It's just an idea for our next car in the future so useful to get feedback. I'm aware of the Co2 issue, that is one reason we bought a qashqai from Nissan Cyprus last time -€58 annual road tax is a bargain! Next time I'm tempted by the nearly new prices so someone else pays the depreciation, but it's a trade off between that and having a dealer here you can look in the eye if there are any problems. That was also a big factor in choosing to buy here when we moved over two years ago so no silly arguments about validity of warranty. As I said, no rush, but a useful thread I thought I'd jump onto.

Cheers

Ian

Ian
J B

Post by J B »

As a little aside ....
When we went with Neil from ANW to Limassol dock we were met by a very angry Cypriot bureaucrat who was most stressed.
"Today, Neil, is big problem. Many many cars but not many people in the office. I try to help you but will be at least two hours, look at all these forms that I have to get through"
We quietly moved on to the cafe for a quick brew and about half an hour later the Cypriot guy came back to tell us that all our paperwork was completed and ready to go!!!

:lol:
J B
JimX

Post by JimX »

A good friend has bought a newish Land Rover from a buying site in the UK, he was shocked to hear just how high the import duty was going to be, do check before contemplating importing any vehicle to Cyprus.

My humble advice is buy here...

Anyone in the UK wants a spanking Land Rover?
Jim.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Bought a car over a couple of years ago, drove it to Andrews shipping in North London, dont leave any thing in car because 100% it will be pinched while on the Ship, ...used an agent here to get it out of the port, had to get it MOT, payed a lady sitting outside reg office a fiver to fill the foams for me, went in payed the duty, she gave me my reg no. I then went and had Reg plates made and fitted,.....forgot to say that before I bought the car I had a copy of the log book emailed over and took it to the office where they told me exactly what i had to pay..most important.
Alfie

Post by Alfie »

So is it best to sell my car in the UK and buy one in Cyprus, or ship it over? What are car dealers like in Cyprus? They can't be any worse than their UK counterparts, can they? :o
WHL

Post by WHL »

the same the world over...some good some bad
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Very true, I have come across both here..

Trev..
Trev..
J B

Post by J B »

Alfie wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:39 pm So is it best to sell my car in the UK and buy one in Cyprus, or ship it over?
What is the car?

Have you done the sums?
work out the 'import duty' here
http://www.mof.gov.cy/mof/customs/custo ... enDocument

In 2013 we paid ...
£650 for shipping with Andrews
€462 port fees at Limassol
€300+ agents fees at ANW
€35 for MOT
€180 for registration
€32 for number plates
J B