Cars for sale at roadside.

For all you Petrolheads out there...
David

Cars for sale at roadside.

Post by David »

I would never buy a 'lay-by' used car in the UK but since arriving in the Paphos area I have seen quite a few collections in various locations, some of them appear quite recent and straight.

One local guy said "beware of Z cars" but the rest was lost in translation. Can anyone enlighten me? I have bought a good old'un from Simon Emery with all the tax, MOT and warranty a family car needs but wouldn't mind something to 'play' with.

I would appreciate any info on old smokers, keepers, what's hot/not and legalities.
Alfisti 'till death us do part.
Pafos

Re: Cars for sale at roadside.

Post by Pafos »

Z cars (hire cars) are well known to get clocked regularly here, buyer beware.
David

Post by David »

Thanks Pafos. That is the sort of local knowledge I was looking for. Don't want to get involved with 'clockers', had enough of that in a previous life.

Plan B then. Something old and neglected that needs some some time spent on it. It's a sad addiction but it keeps me from under her feet.

There is a rustbucket Vitara type that does low-level flying up and down our lane which goes, and sounds, like an F1 car. It did set me thinking...
paulok

Post by paulok »

PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

You will generally find cars for sale by the roadside in Cyprus, generally close to a car lot or garage basically because it's more likely to get seen there then putting it elsewhere....

We only bought 2 vehicles during our 12 years in Cyprus. The first was a Mazda double cab, which we bought in April 2004 and the second, a Mazda NEO 323 (automatic) in April 2005. We sold them both on to our local garage/mechanic when we left to return to UK at the end of April 2016.

So, I wouldn't worry too much about those cars you see.... they seem to last a lot longer than a second hand car in UK ;-)
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

We bought a car from a private seller a few months ago via https://www.facebook.com/groups/194036357386726/

As long as you get it checked out and it has the history you should be all right.

Trev..
Trev..
David

Post by David »

Thanks for all the above guys. As a lifelong petrolhead in a new country the more advice the better. Met a fellow sufferer in my local taverna tonight and he gave me a few pointers re the.local scene.

I've always wanted to harness the moment, the zeitgeist if you will, in the popular modders market and until now have been thwarted by money and tradition. That 1600E, for example, deserves smoothing out and a Cortina Savage V6 inserted if only to wind up the purists. Is that possible on the island or is it now just a diet of tricked out Japanese ho-hums?

Toyota Rav 8 anyone?
cyprusgrump

Post by cyprusgrump »

David wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:08 am Thanks for all the above guys. As a lifelong petrolhead in a new country the more advice the better. Met a fellow sufferer in my local taverna tonight and he gave me a few pointers re the.local scene.

I've always wanted to harness the moment, the zeitgeist if you will, in the popular modders market and until now have been thwarted by money and tradition. That 1600E, for example, deserves smoothing out and a Cortina Savage V6 inserted if only to wind up the purists. Is that possible on the island or is it now just a diet of tricked out Japanese ho-hums?

Toyota Rav 8 anyone?
It used to be the case (and probably still is) that a modified car is extremely difficult to register... Essentially, 'if it ain't on the computer it doesn't exist'...

A guy up the road had massive problems just bringing in an MGB GT from the UK (because it wasn't on the computer) and another friend had a nightmare registering a Robin Hood kit car that he brought over from the UK...
Jersey

Post by Jersey »

cyprusgrump wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:31 pm
David wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:08 am Thanks for all the above guys. As a lifelong petrolhead in a new country the more advice the better. Met a fellow sufferer in my local taverna tonight and he gave me a few pointers re the.local scene.

Toyota Rav 8 anyone?
It used to be the case (and probably still is) that a modified car is extremely difficult to register... Essentially, 'if it ain't on the computer it doesn't exist'...

A guy up the road had massive problems just bringing in an MGB GT from the UK (because it wasn't on the computer) and another friend had a nightmare registering a Robin Hood kit car that he brought over from the UK...
True still I believe ..
lotus

Post by lotus »

Hi all,i brought my '79 V8 Lotus Esprit over years ago,ANW cars helped me through all the paperwork,and it is registered as an antique,no probs