Transferring Ownership

For all you Petrolheads out there...
exodus

Transferring Ownership

Post by exodus »

I am aware of the process for doing this, where, form TOM, etc etc.
My query is regarding the buyer's address. must this be one in the RoC or can it be an overseas address?
Understood the buyer has to be present to complete the transfer if the seller is not present but has the form signed/certified by his/her local Muchtar.
Does the buyer have to hold a full driving licence, will a Learner's licence be accepted if he/she has insurance on the vehicle valid for at least 3 months?
Thank you,
Amos.
JimX

Re: Transferring Ownership

Post by JimX »

Go to the Citizens advice Centre when you can, and ask there, they are very helpful.
Jim.
clive of payia

Post by clive of payia »

Can You change car ownership at a Citizens Advice Bureau or must you go to the Min. of Transport office off Mesogi Road? Have all paperwork filled out. Thanks in advance.
memory man

Post by memory man »

trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

We changed ownership at the Citizens centre, but it was a few years ago
Trev..
clive of payia

Post by clive of payia »

Tried transferring ownership of my car to my son this morning at the Driving centre up Mesogi Road but failed due to not having a customs clearance for the car bought 22 years ago duty-free. The clerk fully accepted the duty-free period of 10 years had expired and that there was no duty to pay. Came home and drowned my sorrows.
darrow

Post by darrow »

You might be able to go to Customs and get a certificate. We bought a car over duty free. When the ten year rule was changed, we went to Customs with the log book and got the usual bits of stamped paper. I can't remember whether they annotated the log book at customs to say it was exempt or whether it was done elsewhere. It might be a place to start though? Memories a bit hazy because it was years ago.