Pension entitlement

Discuss everything from tax issues to the best way of transferring money.
carl01

Pension entitlement

Post by carl01 »

Hello,
Having recently turned 50, I'm beginning to wonder about my UK pension entitlement (for the first time ever).
I have spent nearly my whole adult life working abroad (not always in the EU) with only a couple of years actually working in the UK.
My question is, does anyone know how many years of (EU) contributions I need for basic UK pension entitlement?
Many thanks if anyone has the latest info - what I've seen online is unclear and contradictory.
jen

Re: Pension entitlement

Post by jen »

galexinda

Post by galexinda »

When I checked this just over a year ago I was told that only UK NI contributions would count towards a UK state pension and that as I had worked in other countries then I would have to check with each country to see if I had made enough contributions to qualify for that country's pension. EG I worked in Cyprus for 4 years but that was not long enough to qualify for a Cypriot pension. Quite annoying that payments cannot be transferred to one central fund as it would make a huge difference to the pro rata UK State payment I will actually eventually receive!
carl01

Post by carl01 »

Thanks for taking the time to reply - looks like I can't rely on the UK but might have a shout for a Cyprus pension as I've been self-employed here a while, and the quarterly contributions are pretty hefty.
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

I keep telling myself to check with the Overseas branch of the DWP in UK as I worked for just under 12yrs whilst in Cyprus and paid into the Social Insurance Fund so I should be entitled to something.
I already had 29 years of NI contributions in UK so although I may not get the full UK pension (SERPS contracted out as well), I'm hoping there will be something from Cyprus to add to mine.
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
gazzaga

Post by gazzaga »

Hi All

I looked into this a few years ago. I have worked for 20 years in UK, 3 years in Jersey and now 15 years in Cyprus (as a financial adviser - so I understand pensions).

Only UK contributions count toward a UK pension. It is possible to pay UK pension contributions from abroad and you should look at the relevant website to establish how. I have been paying UK pension contributions for about 6 years and I paid up some unpaid years in bulk.

In Cyprus you need to work for 12 (possibly now 15) years to qualify for a pension. If you have worked in other EU countries, you will qualify for a Cyprus Pension in less years (3 I seem to remember). This means if you've worked for several years in UK (and paid NI contributions) you can claim a Cyprys pension. There are various rules about how to claim these pensions at retirement age and I'll look into that in about 10 years.

Hope this helps.

Garry
carl01

Post by carl01 »

Thanks Garry for taking the time to reply, that helps a lot. I've worked in Germany as well as the UK, so if I hang around here long enough perhaps I'll qualify for at least something.
Best wishes.
gazzaga

Post by gazzaga »

You can get a pension forecast from the UK online these days (you may need to register) to give you an idea what you will receive from there. I turned 50 recently and it does focus your attention on the future :-)

If you need anything more specisfic or personal, ping me a PM.
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

If you've worked in several EU countries, you may have accumulated pension rights in each of them.

You'll have to apply to the pension authority in the country where you're living or you last worked. If you've never worked in the country where you're living, your host country will forward your claim to the one you last worked in. That country is then responsible for processing your claim and bringing together records of your contributions from all the countries you worked in.

More information: https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/w ... dex_en.htm
chris&pam

Post by chris&pam »

I worked in the Middle East for 18 years and during that time I paid voluntary Class 2 NI contributions. It ensured that contributions towards a UK State Pension were maintained while I was abroad.

Chris
Diocletian

Post by Diocletian »

You can check the status of your State Pension via the Gov.UK site. You just need your NI Number and it provides an update.
Ticking away, the moments that make up a dull day.
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

This is the site I use to check the progress of my UK State Pension: https://www.gov.uk/check-state-pension

I did have to sign up to Government Gateway to use it and find both very practical and informative to use.