WASPI - light at the end of the tunnel?

Discuss everything from tax issues to the best way of transferring money.
PhotoLady

WASPI - light at the end of the tunnel?

Post by PhotoLady »

Some interesting developments have been published today by Caroline Wheeler for the Sunday Times:

And below, a few photos which I managed to grab before and after the meeting I attended with a number of WASP ladies from our local facebook group on Friday with Jeremy Corbyn. One of the ladies put a request through to the local Labour party group and asked if it was possible he would come to an intimate meeting of which around 50 - 60 ladies attended during his visit to various locations in the north west UK. The meeting lasted a little over an hour with Jeremy asking questions, listening to individual stories, commenting and answering questions raised by the ladies and at the same time taking his own handwritten notes.

At the end of the meeting, the ladies were very buoyant and upbeat.... hopefully, with the additional information received today, it may very well be a turning point in this UK pension injustice which has been handed out.

I just this minute spotted "the Hope of Glory" picture above the WASPI ladies in this photo. Could it be a sign, I wonder? :-)

"Have Camera, Will Travel"
Dominic
Site Admin

Re: WASPI - light at the end of the tunnel?

Post by Dominic »

What about the inequality whereby women lived longer than men yet retired 5 years earlier?
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

WASPI is nothing to do with inequality....
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Eh? I though WASPI stood for Women Against State Pension Inequality.

That's why I've never really understood it.
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

As I understand it WASPI is all about the fact that during the transition period up to making the state pension age the same for men and women some women are having to wait longer for the pension than others and one particular group born late 1953 and 1954 are having to wait longer than those who were born just a couple of years earlier. EG A woman age 63 two years ago got her pension on her 63rd birthday, whereas a woman who is 63 now has to wait until they are 66.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

But surely there has to be a cutoff somewhere?
Mrblobby

Post by Mrblobby »

Dominic wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:55 pm Eh? I though WASPI stood for Women Against State Pension Inequality.

That's why I've never really understood it.
You are correct Dominic , the I does stand for inequality .

And the WASPI ask is . " Basically, what we are asking—and we feel this is a very fair ask—is for the Government to put all women in their 50s, born on or after 6 April 1951 and affected by the state pension age in exactly the same position they would have been in had they been born on or before 5 April 1950 "
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Why can't they just carry on working? I can understand why people might not like that, but if you make allowances for women in their fifties, won't women in their forties then object?

And as I said before, men have been short changed on the pension front for decades! Perhaps we should set up MASPI! :)
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

Correct and thank you Hudswell 😊
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

Theresa May could very well rue the day she approached the DUP to give her the majority she so desperately needed:
The DUP has supported the Waspi campaign and will continue to do so. We recognise the injustice felt by women born in the 1950s who have been affected by the changes to state pension law, and we will continue to work to deliver fair arrangements. Changes in areas such as pension age are extremely sensitive matters, and can have an impact on retirement plans and an individual’s broader family. The issue is in essence one of fairness. It has been said that the main problem is not that the pension age should be changed, but that when it is changed those affected ought to know that their circumstances have changed.
Read more at: https://inews.co.uk/opinion/comment/dup ... spi-women/

https://inews.co.uk/opinion/comment/dup ... spi-women/
Poppy

Post by Poppy »

It seems that the Labour Government have again reneged on their promises. In my opinion WASPI were very naive to believe Labour would help them as it is now transpiring(although a bit vague) that Labour propose to give ladies their pensions at 64 in return for a reduced pension for life! WASPI and their followers are not happy and many are now saying that they should have stuck with protesting to the present Government. In addition some ladies are saying that they are obliged to pay to join WASPI. Surely this cannot be right?