Food Mystery

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Firefly

Food Mystery

Post by Firefly »

I don't know if any animal owners in Cyprus are experiencing this, but both my cats are refusing to eat fresh meat. Our cats have always loved the trimmings from steak, and one cat pounced on cooked chicken, but recently both my cats sniff it and walk away. What is worrying me is that if they know there is something in it that they shouldn't eat, what is it ? :?

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
trevnhil

Re: Food Mystery

Post by trevnhil »

As you are in the UK I thought I would post this newspaper article. Maybe this is more widespread than people think.. And if food is not fit for humans is it really fit for pets..

https://www.thevisitor.co.uk/news/chick ... -1-9526268
Trev..
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Trevor, that's really scary, it just makes you wonder what the heck we are eating. This morning I offered chicken livers to both my cats, a rare treat or it used to be, one had a sniff and a lick or two and then left it, the other sniffed and walked away. :o

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Sadly I have known first hand of Chicken livers being re dated... Twice...

:(
Trev..
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Trevor,

The alarming thing is that the cats sense of smell is telling them not to eat it, but to us, it smells ok. What rubbish we are putting into our stomachs is certainly a cause for concern as I see it.

Bring back the good old family butcher, supermarkets are far too dodgy. We have an excellent one in Ledbury, yes you pay more, but obviously well worth it, that's it for me from now on.

Jackie
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Just a quick update, I have ceased to buy meat from supermarkets in the UK, and now buy only from a reputable local long established family butcher, who sources local meat. My cats love it, so I guess I have the answer.

Jackie
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

Our pets both dogs and cats wouldn't eat raw meat no matter where we got it from, in both UK and Cyprus.
They just didn't like raw meat from the butcher or the supermarket...
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Quick update, my very fussy female cat has so far eaten, chilli burger, chilli sausage, pork steak and beef stew, all sourced from my local butcher, she was not offered these foods, but cried for them when they were cooked, you couldn't make it up. :lol:

Jackie